Suikoden and Secret of Mana-should I buy?

I found Suikoden 1 and Secret of Mana at a store near me. They cost $45 each. I heard good things about both games, but, in your opinion, are they worth the money or are they overated?

Suikoden is apparently stupidly rare, and it’s a pretty good game for being so old. A big part of the shine comes from playing all of them as you see the story progress though, but it’s a pretty good standalone.

I hated Secret of Mana.

Secret of Mana is the fucking shit. Get it now. I never played Suikoden.

SoM is cool, but the rest of the parties AI is atrocious. I’ve had to restart the emulator more than once because someone got stuck and I couldn’t go back and get them.

SoM is awesome with friends, but really damn easy if you got 2 and a multitap. 3 humans breeze through that game incredibly fast and hard.

As owner of both games, I say get them. Suikoden is one of the ebst series ever, story-wise, and SoM is fun. But I swear to God, the magic system is so unbalanced.

I never played Suikoden, but Secret of Mana was awesome. I downloaded it tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker
SoM is fun. But I swear to God, the magic system is so unbalanced.

At least it had a Magic System worth mentioning unlike every US released Mana game since.

On that note I would recommend getting it especially for the multiplayer, and if for nothing else the Lich boss fight near the end of the game.

As for Suikoden I have no strong feelings about it one way or another, and as for getting it, all I know is that my gut says maybe.

In Secret of Mana, I got extremely frustrated at how the rest of my party wasn’t even close to as good as video games as I was. I couldn’t get through 6 hours of that game before I put it down. If you are cool with that, then go for it. I think it ebays for around $30ish, so buying it retail for that price ain’t too bad.

On a similar note, do any of the other “Of Mana” games have any better party AI? Will I be less tempted to sharpen the edges of the disc and use the game to cut new vaginas into people I don’t like? The game had some potential for fun times, but I just wasn’t having a ringer plus 2 incompetant buffoons as my party.

The short answer is NO.

The long answer is Not Really.

The REALLY long winded answer is Considering that with exception to SD3 no Mana game really has a party either they just have gimped NPCs or you’re all alone, and SoM2 used more heavily segmented areas rather than wide open paths which doesn’t require much more sophistication than go to the nearest enemy and proceed to beat the pixilated shit out of it.

Also your disk sharpening joke kinda fails in the face of a cartridge. Or were you referring to either Legend or Dawn of Mana?

Yeah. I’m talking about the non-secret Mana games. Dawn and Legend are the only ones that I know about.

My party members are still morons? That sucks. I’ll probably just go ahead and pass on those games then. Although beating the pixelated shit out of enemies sounds like a blast. All this while saving the world? Sign me up. This sounds like an adventure I want to be a part of.

There’s Sword of Mana, lol.

I’m probably going to get punched for this, but if your going to play secret of mana, just skip to the 3rd one. Music and story arn’t as good {to me} but the AI, controls and refined playing style are 100,000,000 times better.

oh, unless you can read Japanese, your gonna have to ROM it.

Buy them their great games got them both the story to suikoden is good.The SoM is but everybody right it’s better to play it with a friend.

Personally, I don’t think Secret of Mana is worth $45. There are cheaper ways to play it. Suikoden is a decent game, but I wouldn’t pay that much for it. However, I did enjoy it much more than Secret of Mana, and you need to play through it in order to know the backstory for Suikoden II (which is vastly superior).

I enjoyed Suikoden quite a bit, but I don’t think that I’d pay fourty five dollars for it, honestly. I mean, it’s a pretty fun game, but I thought it was a little too short.

I loved Secret of Mana when it first came out. In fact, it was one of the first RPGs (action RPG, but still) that I played (along with The Bard’s Tale on NES and Final Fantasy II/IV). But I replayed it recently, and I have to say, it is both tedius and staggeringly easy.

Try ebay or amazon, Suikoden 1 should be about $30.

I would get ahold of Suikoden if possible, especially if you haven’t played any in the series yet. As mentioned above, it is relatively short, but it’s a great introduction to an awesome series.

As for Secret of Mana, I would only bother if you had friends to play with. If not just play it on emulator.

If you really want it and you have a feeling you’ll never get a chance to buy it again go for it. Especially if it’s “stupidly rare”.