Someone Help. Computer bootup problem.

Okay. So this morning my computer wouldn’t boot up.

It tells me:

Windows could not strart because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup and using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

Only problem is, when I do that I get ‘access denied’ when I try to enter any commands in the repair screen.

HELP. Thanks =x

Also, the only thing I can think of is to reinstall windows, only I am not sure if installing over my already existing windows XP home would murder me and my computer.

Okay, thanks. =x

HORRIBLE SUFFERING

:kissy:

Format c:/

Which one was it? Hell or high water? >_>

But oh god that sucks. A reinstall might do the trick, but if it doesn’t you really don’t have a choice but to format. Try and make backups of your stuff by means of a boot disc, first.

EDIT: nevermind, it wouldn’t work, you’re screwed

format C:\ lol

Sounds like one of your system files is a damaged part of the hard drive - I’d try removing the drive and putting it in another computer (directly or via an enclosure) and running a full scandisk on it, then try the repair utility again, if it still doens’t work you might be able to use xcalcs (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318754) to modify the permissions on the affected file so you can mess with it, though if the file itself is damaged it won’t help any.

Format C:\ done.

Problem ‘solved’. Carry on people.

HORRIBLE SUFFERING

:kissy: