Some funny acronyms.

Here are some new acronyms that I’ve heard here that are sort of funny, plus some name changes.

PFC - Perfect For Cleaning (my rank)
USMC - United States Maintenance Crew (the Marine Corps)
Lance Corporal - Lance Criminal

The first two come from the amount of cleaning we do in the Marines. When we aren’t training, we are cleaning everything. Most of the cleaning is generally done by PFCs too. Maybe I should change my title to “Perfect For Cleaning” instead of “Private First Class”. It might be pointless since in 3 months or less I’ll be changing it to Lance Corporal (I’ll be promoted no later than August).

It’s only an acronym if it spells something pronouncable, like SCUBA or NASA.

Originally posted by GG Crono 4

Damnit! I’m a Marine not a rocker scientist!:hyperven: Besides, PFC and USMC are used as acronyms, they are always said, just like NASA instead of whatever it stands for (I’m tired, I can’t think, I’ve been up since 6 Thursday morning).

Originally posted by GG Crono 4

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women’s Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

Steve, that reinforces GG’s point.

Originally posted by Flintedge
Steve, that reinforces GG’s point.

It also says that I’m correct. Since the definition says nothing about an acronym having to be pronounicated as a normal word.

ARMY : Aint Ready for Marines Yet

But it does say “word” in it. If you can’t pronounce something, it isn’t a word.

(Well, programming has words like 101010010010 but that’s different.)

Flint:

A sound or a combination of sounds, or its representation in writing or printing, that symbolizes and communicates a meaning and <b>may</b> consist of a single morpheme or of a combination of morphemes

A meaningful linguistic unit consisting of a word, such as man, or a word element, such as -ed in walked, that cannot be divided into smaller meaningful parts.

So Steve, how do you pronounce the word pfc, since it is a combination of sounds and all.

It’s unpronounceable.
Where in the definition does it say it must be pronounceable?
Edit: Sure, an intelligible word must have a vowel in it, but acronyms, unless they create an intelligible word, only involve the saying of the letters that make UP the acronym.

A word is a group of Morphemes. A morpheme is a pronounceable sound.

And I pronounce PFC as UNWORTHY.

Xelo, your supersmartism sucks.

Originally posted by Steve
Xelo, your supersmartism sucks.

No. He just knows how to use a dictionary to look up words he doesn’t know… even if they are in dictionary definitions.

You people are so limited, I have no trouble with vowel-less words.

Dark Knight

You people are so limited, I have no trouble with vowel-less words.

Oh yea? Let’s see about that…try this on for size.

qwt tppsklh gyytbcxmn hggfs.

i can pronounce it, it just sounds funny… and the 2 Ys were easy, they work as vowels…

vowels are unneccessary, theyre just theyre for convenience.

yea, anyone can pronounce anything, just that it sounds different.

Originally posted by AngelOfShadows
[b]Oh yea? Let’s see about that…try this on for size.

qwt tppsklh gyytbcxmn hggfs. [/b]

Its pronounced…

kwit tipsickle geetibxmun hagufs

Well done Rountree :slight_smile: