So, we all want to know what the hell's wrong with me, right?

Rather than trying to accomplish the impossible, I suggest that you try joining some local youth activities or extra-curicular activities that your school provides. While I disagree with him over the solution to the problem, Sin is right when he says that a message board’s not the best place to go if you’re really going through what you say you are.

By joining youth or extra-curicular activities, you’re taking that first step towards becoming more a more confident person, and more importantly, you’re hanging out with people who share interests with you and will make much better friends, not just people who’ll use you then lose you.

Originally posted by Sinistral
First of all, schizophrenics have a biological basis for their disease. This is not a schizophrenic, this is someone who let’s herself be the victim. The only way to help people who have problems like she does is to let them help themselves and not give them a recourse otherwise. The only way a person will change is if that person chooses to change and realize what is going on. Your example is irrelevant because you’re talking about a disorder which doesn’t work the same way.
No, I understood what Sin was talking about. The problem I have is that if she really does have trouble standing up to people, then that’s something you can’t re-develop overnight. It takes time, and just telling someone to “grow a backbone” or “get over it” isn’t really giving them an answer at all.

And the reason I compared MPD to her problem was simply because I was looking for problems that inherently prohibit the provided solution. Neither solution will work with the problem, because the problem itself prevents the solution from occuring.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Hayes
Yay Sin, look down on her for being upset and pissed off at her brother whilst at the same time worrying about his collapsed lung + heart problems. Good advice nonetheless but you don’t have to be so cold.

SO FUCKING WHAT? If he has a problem THAT’S HIS problem, not HER problem. I think that considering what I’ve done to certain people on this board, it is very obvious that I believe it is UTTER BULL SHIT for people to use a disability as an excuse to be shitty people. Its not because someone has a problem that they can do whaterver they want. That is being WEAK. He chooses to take a path where he will grant himself gratification for his insecurities and problems at the expense of other people. Any person who does that is nothing more than a parasite. His problem arose a year ago, he’s had plenty of time to start dealing with it. Also, she mentionned it didn’t appear to be having major effects on his life.

Also, you are making that statement implying that this is an isolated event. It is not.

And yes, I know I’m cold.

Originally posted by Green Mage
No, I understood what Sin was talking about. The problem I have is that if she really does have trouble standing up to people, then that’s something you can’t re-develop overnight. It takes time, and just telling someone to “grow a backbone” or “get over it” isn’t really giving them an answer at all.

Did you notice I said “I reiterate” as in, this isn’t the first time I’ve said it? And yes I would agree with you, it takes time, but you don’t walk a journey without taking a step forward. Which she has not in the many months she has been with us.

As explained in your previous post about family, family does not have to mean shit. But it is her problem if she cares for and loves her brother and then he dies.

Abusive relationships are unhealthy. Note she said he wasn’t in any serious condition. I didn’t say family means shit. I said family that is abusive isn’t family. Difference.

I realise that, but when he has one lung and some minor heart damage I would not exactly call that a favourable medical condition. And I didn’t say family means shit. I said family doesn’t have to mean shit.

Seph, if your brother/sister got a paper cut then punched you in the head and blamed it on the paper cut, what would your reaction be?

He has 1 lung and his heart’s still beating. People get cancer and lose organs. People lose limbs in construction or car accidents. People become paralyzed in entire regions of their body because of spinal injuries. People burn in fires. Shit happens. It doesn’t make you special. It makes you unlucky. Shit happening is not an excuse to take advantage of the goodwill which others wish to give you.

None since I have no siblings. But if I did I would retaliate.

Therefore your argument is void.

None since I have no siblings. But if I did I would retaliate.
So then you wouldn’t think that the paper cut was what actually caused him to punch you in the head and forgive him?

Sin is correct is saying your argument is void.

He has 1 lung and his heart’s still beating. People get cancer and lose organs. People lose limbs in construction or car accidents. People become paralyzed in entire regions of their body because of spinal injuries. People burn in fires. Shit happens. It doesn’t make you special. It makes you unlucky. Shit happening is not an excuse to take advantage of the goodwill which others wish to give you.

Unfortunately that is a fact of life. And yes he has no right to be a prick. But he is still her brother, for some people family ties are important, for some they are all they have left, why do you think I don’t hate my mother even after the bullshit she put me and my dad? But yea you do have a point.

EDIT: Actually I would retaliate then call them a stupid asshole for blaming it on the paper cut.

Seph, your argument is meaningless. You’re trying to tell us that you should love your family under any condition. If they punch us in the head, we should still love them. If they steal our stuff and throw it away, we should still love them. If they abuse us, we should still love them. If they cause psycological damage, we should still love them. If they betray us and stab us in the back… we should still love them.

Where do you draw the line on something like that? What could make us <em>not</em> love our family?

EDIT: Actually I would retaliate then call them a stupid asshole for blaming it on the paper cut.
Well then, her brother’s injuries are no more responsible for his actions than your fictious sibling’s paper cut were for their’s. And according to your line of reasoning, Chris should retaliate against her brother. When you consider all of that, you end up in the same bed with Sin.

she may not like her brother a whole lot (I haven’t really talked to him all that much yet) but I know she still loves him… much the case with me and my father… I finally got pissed off at him because of some crack remark he made about me and Chrissy and another friend of mine… haven’t talked to him in 4 days now, and my mother is all upset over it, but I still love the guy.

but the bond between siblings will always be there… and yes, he does have that collasped lung, heart problems, and another disease, and yes I do feel sorry for him because he was unfortunate to get it… but he acts like a jerk to Chrissy a lot… I dunno… I probably won’t until I finally meet them.

I know I can’t say a lot about siblings… I have a sister of my own who I’m not very close to. she has a bad disability of her own and thus has been sheltered all her life because of it (well, that and my parents sheltered her well) and she keeps away from things because of being sheltered… I tell her that she can do things on her own if she wanted, but she just doesn’t want to or doesn’t think she can…

but I do know that Chrissy is close to her sister Vickie… at least she has her…

Originally posted by Orakio
she just doesn’t want to or doesn’t think she can…

Exactly. Its all about perception.

it’s something I’ve just realized… two months to the day I might add.

Thank you Sin, Orak, and the rest. I was wanting the hard talk. Not much up for sympathy today. Though my brother is a jerk and everything I still love him. I’ve grown a little cold around him over the years and actually I don’t feel like he’s my sibling anymore… he’s just lost my care and trust/respect for him. That’s his flaut, he may regret it one day… :fungah: But oh well, if he doesn’t give shit about me than I’ll be that way to him too…

I reiterate you need to grow a backbone and be yourself and not depend upon others for a sense of security and identity.

yeah… the same way now I feel about my father… I love him and I would feel bad if something happened to him (just as I know you’d feel bad if something happened to your brother again).

Just remember that you still have me. :slight_smile:

There will be times when you’ll have to ask yourself “What’s best for ME?”. I have a problem with this myself, but I’ve gotten better.
I’ll tell you a story about how I was pushed around helplessly when I should have stood up for myself. I’ve told this before because I’m still angry and need to clear my mind of it now and then, but I think it fits here.

See, when I was fourteen I met this girl, A-L, during a late evening with the confiramtion gang. She said I looked as lonely as she felt, standing aside. Actually, I was enjoying some peace and quite, trying to stay away from the idiots in my group. But anyway, she was nice that time, we talked for several hours straight.
I should have started to feel worried when I slipped on some ice and fell on my back. We both laughed - but the important thing was that she did nothing trying to help me get back up.
It started there. For a couple of months, I still thought she was nice.
Then one day we decided to go to the shop and buy some candy.
On the way there we chatted, but I drifted off for a moment and didn’t really listen. When I snapped back she was silent, so I thought that she was done with whatever she had talked about and changed the subject. She looked surprised at first and muttered something, answering snappily whenever I said something more. When we got to the store - and note, <i>not before we were in the middle of the damn store</i>, not during the ten minute walk there when there were no people around - did she break down crying and screaming that I didn’t listen to her. Also that she’d kill herself if I ever betrayed her like all her other friends had done.
What would I do? I was shocked to the bone of course.

There it started. Three and half a year I stood by her side, asked her how it went with her sick and twisted stories about pedophiles and nymphomaniacs to support her, didn’t argue with her, never spoke against her, did what she wanted to do even if I wasn’t interested.
While she didn’t care one bit about my stories, pushed her views down my throat (for example her holier than thou “I don’t have anything against racists. It’s racism that I don’t like. It’s wrong to call a charity concert “Artists agains Racists”!”. Right, point maybe. But she made it sound like the racists were good little boys and that it was their ideology that went out beating up people), made me feel shitty if I don’t agreed at once, smirked at my ideas and in the end made me paranoid. I STILL freeze when I see blond women at her height.
Another example of her lovely personality where I should have said stop:
She was sleeping over at her sister’s, who lived fifteen minutes away from my house. In the evening, the sister was playing a puzzle game and Jing were helping her. At almost the same time, Jing and A-L pointed at two different things to do, whereupon the sister said, impatiently “Calm down, I can’t do everything at the same time.”
A-L froze for a second, then packed her bags, grabbed her pillows and stormed out into the rainy, ice-cold November night. Jing and me followed.
She was dead-set on going home. And she was not going to come with us home and ask mum and dad to drive us, either. She was going to walk, and that was it.
So we came with her, because we couldn’t just leave her like that, now could we? <I>One bloody Swedish mile through town</I>, that’s ten kilometers, 10000 meters. Rain, close to zero degrees. And the last two kilometers we almost had to carry her because she started freaking at what her parents would say when they realized we had walked all the way.
The worst part was that Jing didn’t want to go but I talked her into it. She was a lot more clear-sighted than I was.

Why did I put myself and Jing through this shit for three and half a year? Because I thought that A-L needed me. And she had said she’d kill herself. She even showed me wounds she had cut on her wrists at one time when I happened to come an hour too late to her house than we had decided.
Bullshit. I needed some goddamn backbone too, and I started to grow one in the end.
She called me last spring, trying to pick up our “friendship” again. I replied and gave her one chance by going to see her, but I never called back after that. She had grown up a bit but I wasn’t going to get caught again.
Then she sent a very beautifully composed mail practically saying “I tried so hard, but I didn’t feel welcome. You two will always have a special place in my heart, but now I want a divorce.” Not exactly like that, but it was the gist of it.

I went through all that shit, for what? She wasn’t family, she wasn’t nice to me, the only thing she had was a threat that I’d kill her if I left. Great. I won’t let this happen again, and you have to think about what YOUR needs are too, Chris. Your brother has a disease, but he’ll live. A-L had terrible self-consciousness, and she said she was prepared to kill herself. That gives them <b>no</b> right to control and bitch at either of us.