So the Golden Globes were cancelled...

The movies have to come out after October 1st for them to be considered for nomination. The cut-off period has to be pretty close to the Awards show because There Will Be Blood came out two weeks ago and it was nominated for Best Picture.

Media journalists determine the awards and sci-fi usually has a tough time getting awards - it’s easier for it to get a GG on a sci-fi show than a movie.

Speaking of that, I’m surprisd no one’s talking about the awards for television shows. I enjoyed Longford, and had no issues with it’s awards, but yet again The Wire - the best television on air was snubbed. Damages needs the attention as well, and Glenn Close deserved her award for the show.

I really don’t like award shows. I think they’re pointless, expensive and overhyped wastes of time.

Your right on all accounts, except for how pointless they are. For the movies, it can bring a second wind at the box office. We get movies back after they receive an award, Babel, for instance, last year. It also gives artsy movies a chance to get into the theaters; we just lost No Country for Old Men but we could get it back because of this and Atonement.

So, if nothing else, an awards show is great and seemingly effective advertising while rewarding good performances.

It’s even more important to television shows. Critically acclaimed shows that get mediocre ratings like Damages can get a boost in ratings.

Wristcutters is the movie with the most Tom Waits, this year. Thus, it should win all awards instantly.

You don’t need the ceremony to give the award. You’ll note that that was my point if you re-read what I said. I agree that it can be important for otherwise unknown movies to get noticed.

…right. xD; I forgot it was foreign. But it shoulda won anyway~!

It’s a popularity contest, and Disney always knows who to bribe each year.

Sigh We all forgot about Death Sentance. I mean come one . . . . Kevin Bacon was amazing!

Come on, Ratatouille was foreign too! These mice? They are French!