So, I had a gun pulled on me this weekend.

I hadn’t read your first post, Info, but I read it now and I agree with you in that.

You make a lot of good points Nick. I’m definitely open to combat advice from a Marine.

As far as dismantling the gun goes, the kid had a little snub nose revolver. Even if I did know those 9mm tricks, they wouldn’t have helped. As far as I know, the best you can do with a revolver is stick your finger between the hammer and the pin when he’s trying to fire. And that might break your finger anyway.

Basically, you are almost always screwed if someone pulls a gun on you. Unless you get lucky like me.

Now that I think about it, I’m really grateful that my friend wasn’t strapped that night. He carries sometimes. The temptation for him to pull his piece would have probably gotten us both killed.

You’re welcome. Ah, I see about the weapon. Yeah, sticking your finger there would have been pretty good. I don’t think it would break your finger, but it would probably hurt a lot. You could also try to knock the revolving part to the side so that the rounds fell out. Yeah, someone bringing a weapon out just makes the whole situation bad. Your friend pricking a weapon definitely would have made things worse.

Dude, the next morning I woke up with the biggest fucking smile on my face.
And not just because I woke up next to my friend’s roommate, Rachel. :wink:

yah, those are the kind of people who get anti-gun activists on the cases of people like me (target shooters and hunters.) btw dave, that was pretty close…but you knew that already:P thank God it didn’t occur to him to actually use the gun.

Ow. It’s good to know that you’re still alive. It’s also good to know that you don’t own a gun, it isn’t that you’re considering getting one: a gun have this odd and rather ironic tendency to get its wielder killed, not its target. I really do think we all agree on that you handled it in the best way possible, that is to say, backing down.

I’ve been in a similar situation, once. My advice is basically like info’s, only with a couple things to add. First, sometimes moving closer can actually save you, since the round doesn’t have as much time to build kinetic force (I think), and it’s actuammy more difficult to aim clearly at a moving target that’s getting close and closer to you. He was aiming for my torso, probably, and I got shot in the thigh. I was lucky, but still, I’m told it helped me. The other thing is to have your reactiosn down to an instict, whatever they are. Chances are, they’ll think at least a little before shooting you, and that gives you a split second advantage. Even if they just act without thought, if you have to think, you’re at a disadvantage. I’ve taken Muay Thai since I was six, so that probably helped too. I knew where to hit him to break his elbow and knee, which made standing and holding a gun both difficult, so I only ended up getting shot once. It was still nasty, and left an ugly, ugly scar. So avoiding this situation in general would be best.
Glad to here you made it out okay.