snes emus and xp

I was wondering if any of you know of any good snes emulators that will run well under xp without directx? we just got new machines at school and they have xp on them.

You could always, ya know, use your school computers for actual work, and play games on your own.

Try ZSNES, I don’t think it needs DirectX

I’m fairly sure Zsnes does need directX, but an old version of it, 6 or 7. I’m not sure of any snes emulators that don’t use directX.

Zsnes for Windows uses DirectX. Zsnes for DOS doesn’t, but I think it’s not XP friendly.

older ZSnes might do the trick

Snes 9xw works I think.

The DOS ZSNES works just fine under XP. Has a little trouble handling Sidewinder pads, but other than that it’s just fine.

so my old work around with the DOS version will still work… Good since we use a program called deep freeze that restores the HD to a predetermined image every time you restart. DX needs a restart, and you get the idea. Now I can have something to do with all my free time in networking.

Thnx for the help.

XP has DirectX 8 built in (I just had to reinstall XP on my home PC last night heh) with the OS, you should be able to run ZSNES fine

Originally posted by deathstryke
so my old work around with the DOS version will still work… Good since we use a program called deep freeze that restores the HD to a predetermined image every time you restart.

Find the folder with autoexec.bat, then find the cfg for it, and delete the line with the deepfreeze program on it. Just make it read-only after that. Should be just fine.

The latest version of zsnes for Windows will run fine on a bare installation of Windows 2003 Server, so I don’t see why XPee Pro should be any different; Both come with (an older version of) DirectX right in the base installation; I don’t think that Windows 2000 and later can function without DX.

EDIT: Try zsnes 0.400 for DOS. It’ll run on a toaster. 0.400 was the last release that I really liked, just before I sort of faded away from the emulation community.