Should I Buy?

I always liked to imagine my inner child manifests as Kirby. And Kirby cannot die, so there.

And I’m sure there are other, powerful scenes involving people burning tod eath… but the fact this was back on the SNES, with sprites, makes it extra special to me.

Actually, Project 64 has had fairly good success emulating it, though it’s not perfect. I think the backgrounds in skirmishes don’t always work properly, but other that that it works fine. I’d still rather have the cart just because emulating a N64 controller on a keyboard is awkward. Doable, as OB64 doesn’t require so many of the buttons, but still weird.

Funny, I last saw Kirby flying in the background of Castle Siege in Smash Brawl, and he went “ping!”. But then he respawned. And again. Your child is reborn over and over again, VE :frowning: As for my three picks…

SoE is one of my early favourites because there simply weren’t any other RPG type games outside Zelda: LttP or Secret of Mana released in Europe back then. Emulate, if you absolutely must try it. Try the multiplayer patch if you have two players.

I agree with Illusion of Gaia, it suddenly appeared in one rental place and I managed to finish it in the weekend I had it in rented. Brilliant, albeit the gem aspect left me a bit frustrated. (I missed one. ONE. Bloody. Gem.) Solid story, graphics and music. Extra points for monster hunting for stats. :3

Donkey Kong '94 for Gameboy: Among three of the best games on the original grey wonder. Only Link’s Awakening can kick it in longevity.

(Kirby isn’t bad, and Dragon Warrior 1+2 could last for some time, if you actually plan to play these games on the road.)

And the other one is? I tried to put together an impromptu top-3 for the game boy and there were at least 6 games I had to put in. The only one I could decide not to exclude, was Tetris.

Tetris, indeed :-p

They’re followed pretty closely by Mario Land 2 and WarioLand. Pokémon is a big grind, so okay, it’s a timewaster and maybe fun, but not the first two games anymore.

I always counted Final Fantasy Legend 2 among the best of the Game Boy Games, but mainly because of childhood memories, i guess. I replayed it recently when i finally got ahold of a copy and… well, it was still fun. And insanely hard. Deicide has never been so much fun, and constant in a game.

Mario Land 2 was great. I haven’t played that in ages.
Link’s Awakening is probably the other Game Boy game that holds a special place in my heart.

There’s a copy of mario land 2 at my local game store. Only about $10, maybe I should pick it up. And EVERYBODY loved Link’s Awakening. Seriously.

Ironically since SML2 Mario’s starred in only three more side-scrolling platformer since then. Donkey Kong, New Super Mario Bros., and Super Paper Mario (even then Donkey Kong doesn’t really count since it doesn’t scroll to the side all that much). Every other game was either in 3D, an RPG, was a remake of an older title, or starred either Yoshi, Wario, or Peach.

That said it was LoZ:LA, SML2, DK, FFA (i.e. SD1), Metroid 2: Return of Samus, Kid Icarus: of Myth and Monsters, KDL1 & 2, Tetris, and Dr. Mario that I played through the most on the GB back when I was a kid (in roughly that order of favoritism since the first GB games that I got to play were Dr. Mario and KI:oMaM).

I really didn’t like Metroid 2. It’s by far my least favorite of the series, and not just because of the graphics.
Kid Icarus wasn’t too bad.

I never got far in metroid 2. I always got lost.

Metroid 2 was the first one I played and I was stuck in the first Chozo Ruins for a long, long time. When I bombed the wall over an eagle head, it was the beginning of a long “bomb everything and its mother” relationship. Did you find it too restrictive, Cid?

I agree Mario 2 was extremely playable. Especially compared to Mario 1 (cheap, cheap!). I also have a soft, greedy spot in my heart for Wario and his dreams of glory. Pirate ducks ftw.

Solomon’s Key was a great, great puzzle/action game. GB also had many games that did things right, like R-Type or Gargoyle’s Quest or Xenon II etc.

No, I just really didn’t like the style. The music was creepy, and the monochrome surroundings were far too organic for my like. Even the enemies seemed like they tended towards bugs and leeches; they completely lacked personality.

It also had just too many areas that were far too huge and open, given the small screen I was dealing with.

Wario Land was definitely cute, but the gameplay rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

It could be the focus shifting from finishing the stage to finding the treasure hidden in the stage or the different dynamic of controlling Wario.

Heh, I agree about Metroid’s creepy music (or lack of music in some areas). I used to mute it when I faced a metroid, especially the ones that hatched from an egg. Though I’m partial to it’s style; I may give it another playthrough sometime.