Selecting a Video Card!

Hi Guys

I’ve been looking for sometime to buy a new video card for my PC for around $250 AUD (that’s my budget roughly.) I’ve been trying to decide whether to go Nividia or ATI, both have served me well so far. My old P4 has a Geforce 4 MX440 that’s been running strong for 5+ years now and still hasn’t slipped up. My iwn computer I bought last year has a ATI hd2400PRO (low end) card which I’m planning on upgrading. Now as for the purpose, yes… it’s for gaming, but not extreme gaming! just a mid to high end card will suffice for me.

I’ve been looking at the GTX 460 1GB and the Radeon 5770 1GB. One of the games I’ve been meaning to play is GTA IV (which I know is very CPU dependent… therefore I was planning on getting the Radeon 5770 and perhaps a new CPU, like quad core… but that’s unlikely! Because I’ll need a new PSU as well.) Btw, I plan on getting a Corsair TX-750 PSU.

So yeah, sorry for my rambling I love talking computer hardware as you can see :stuck_out_tongue: If anyone can suggest any good cards or combinations, I will be very grateful!

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

My computer that I bought has a NVIDIA GT 230. I’m not sure how much it is but I know it’s 2GB and I can play pretty much any game at full settings.

Is that for a laptop/notebook? I can’t seem to find a GT 230 for desktop; it only goes GT 220 then GTS 240. Sorry, I should have specified for a desktop beforehand. Thanks for the suggestion though. :slight_smile:

It’s in a desktop. Like I said it came with my HP computer.

Okay, could you please send me a link for it… I’m having trouble finding one.

Well, it turns out, it’s not as good as I thought. Forgive the necroposting, but I thought it better to revive this thread that make a new one. What I mean is that it’s not DirectX 11 compatible. I want to play Dragon Age II at the highest setting with DirectX 11. I will echo helios’s original request: What would you suggest I’d look for? My budget is about the same, but if I could keep it at or below $200.00, that’d be awesome.

AMD Radeon HD6850?

Thanks Nulani, I needed that for a starting point to start looking. I know how to use a computer, but when it comes to hardware, I’m lost.

Wee you could also consider the Geforce GTX 460 card which is considered to be very solid (for under $200) or if you consider spending a little extra AMD Radeon HD6870 would give you better performance, since what I’ve seen is xx50 cards tend to differ a fair bit in comparison withxx70 and greater (not just minor differences.) The bottom line is, if you’re going to use your PC for gaming then you should consider spending that little bit more for a video card!

I agree, I forgot about my tax refund. Bigger is always better :).