Secret Service Questions Students

No, that is just about what it would require. If they just said something like “Yo, Bush should like be shot or some shit yo,” or anything else that is obviously dumb but obviously not a real threat, that would have been a waste of the Secret Service’s time. And this is not the first time people have been told that they have no rights after the Patriot Act was passed.

There’s one part of the quote I doubt was said.

The “We own you.”

Not because I doubt that they’d say this, but I think that they’d say it differently, though with similar meanings.

I agree, the magnitude of the threat would have had to have been really, really high, as in the students were doing something extremly crazy, like waving automatic weapons around. An idle comment is not cause for concern.

I’m agreeing that the threat would have to be high, but not as high as SK wants it to be.

Such a course of action was utterly detestable and unproductive, but in war time, governments and public opinions, to my knowledge, tend to lean to the conservative. It is not surprising.

I was having some thoughts about how this event will affect Bush’s reputation. Obviously, it may anger some, who may condemn it as a violation of freedom of speech. But it may also bolster support for Bush, since it may provoke greater fear of terrorism against and subsequently greater trust in the figure whose prime focus in his agenda is its elimination. This should seem especially true if the media suggest that the two persons in question were in favour with terrorism against America or portray them as terrorists. What are your thoughts? I am more inclined to believe the latter.

Does the word Gestapo ring any bells here? Those guys are getting really paranoid…

Things are just getting scary now, either scary or horribly stupid. Remember the lawyer who got arrested for a t-shirt with some text about war is wrong at the start of the attack on Iraq?

I’m not sure if a change of president would do any good in truth, but if Bush lost the next election it would at least be a relief roviding we don’t get our hands full of someone with an even higher paranoia friendly style.

I am inclined to agree. Things are getting out of control, but getting rid of Bush wouldn’t be enough. There are many right-wing politicians and generals who have to be replaced. The problems here are two: Bush isn’t being honest, and he and many other people are taking advantage of 9/11 to dispose of those who disagree with their choices. Also, at this rate, the US will have many ethnic conflicts, since people there are starting to jump anyone with a beard and a turban. These days, the harass people at the airport just because they look like Arabs. Also, they have been arresting people without formal accusations and denying them a lawyer or any contact with the outside world. This situation really makes me think about the Third Reich. Things are simply going out of control. Anyone who isn’t with them is labeled as being against them. The activities of US secret services have reached an unprecedented level of paranoia. People in the US can’t even go to a public library without having his/her book requisitions added to a database. Also, some people who criticized Bush are being abusively watched and prevented from boarding planes or leaving the country by any other means. We cannot afford to have a second Hitler. This madness has to stop before national security becomes an excuse for randomly murdering people.

It’s only going to get worse as time goes on. It’ll need some type of major intervention to stop this in it’s tracks.

The problem is, the UN is completely ignored. Bush and his friends think they won the world and don’t have to follow any laws. They don’t respect anyone or anything and they think they’re above the law. Has anyone seen Bablyon 5, around the time Sheridan makes the station independent? This situation is very similar. Security is being used as an excuse to arrest all who criticize Bush & Co. I think someone should do something soon, before he decides to threaten the EU with his toy nukes or something like that.

Why don’t you people shut up about the actual threat that was posed and at least consider the violation of the students rights and the hypocrisy of the federal government? I would so fucking sue.

The problem is, Bush and his maniac friends have probably rigged the system. Also, they have already shown that they don’t respect the law. These days, they may even send an FBI squad to brutally maul and arrest a student just because of an insignificant criticism. Also, they arrest people without formal charges and send them to undisclosed locations. Students should fight back and kick some rear ends! Those guys are a bunch of self-righteous SoBs, and they deserve a beating for attacking peaceful demonstrators!

And just where, exactly, did you copy and paste that from?

I sure hope that the kids start a ruckus to get their rights, but it could be that they have been scared by the situation and won’t dare to.

If the protests reach a certain level, Bush and his administration may be forced to resign… That would be good for the world.

Not likely. The only one to resign (Nixon) resigned because of a massive scandal, and chances are Bush would only do so under the same circumstances, of which massive protests dont’ count. Bust has shown he doesn’t listen to protests much really, and he still has supporters.

That is purely pediculus, since the insant the first thing in the consitution, the right to FREEDOM OF SPEECH!! So that teacher was so WRONG, in doing what they did! :fungah: :fungah:

Maybe they’ll decide to give Bush the bullet treatment and end this mess… :cool: That guy is out of control!

Originally posted by Manus Dei
Maybe they’ll decide to give Bush the bullet treatment and end this mess… :cool: That guy is out of control!

The SS show up and arrest MD, then interogates him for hours, with no lawyers present

Seriously, the Teacher WAY over-reacted. Everyone involved (except the students) should have thought out what they were doing. Where do you get the # for the SS anyway?

I think the whole “we own you” thing is a gross exageration, though they probably said something similar. I would sue the gov’t if i were those kids, as well as the teacher.

draws the Lightcaster and exterminates the SS in a Raziel-like fury

Those guys are acting like the danm Gestapo! Where’s the Resistance? Those guys can’t just say they own people as if they were puppets or radio-controlled toys! People have the right to freedom of speech and many other things! Bush and his SS are acting against their own Constitution!