Script - "Curse"

This is an assignment for a class I have this semester. It isnt a bad class, but its priority is certainly not as high as my projects or drawing classes. Anyway, heres what I’ve created thus-far. Suggestions?

The main focus is to get the format correct… But since posting “centered” text in forums is GAY we’ll just have to ignore the format. Anyway, have fun, it was 16 pages in Word.

As far as a Castlevania plot goes, I’d kinda like to make a game out of it. Adding in a couple bosses and side quests from the main story could create a decent RPG IMO. I dunno, its short enough to finish without loosing intrest I think.

“Curse”

FADE IN
1 EXT. – Morning

Sunrise behind a dark castle atop a high mountain.

This follows the MAIN TITLE: Transylvania 1691

CUT TO:

2 INT. – Morning

Dark castle interior dressed in red velvet curtains and carpet. Black skulls adorn an immense chandelier that hangs in the center of the ceiling. An onyx throne sits atop a riser in the center of the room.

A man dressed in black and red armor “Simon” stands over a fallen count dressed in flowing black and red robes “Dracula”.

Simon
(Out of breath)
Your reign of terror over the people of this world has come to an end, demon.

Simon presses his heel to the throat of Dracula and unsheathes his sword.

Dracula
(Coughing)
Your people have hunted me for generations, boy. This is merely the beginning, young Belmont.

Simon
Enough of your banter! Die and be silent!

Simon beheads Dracula and plants a wooden stake firmly into his chest. Simon walks over to a curtained window and moves the velvet to the side casting a ray of light from the rising sun upon Dracula. The body of the fallen count begins to burn and soon combusts to ash and blows out the window past Simon leaving only a charred skeleton. Simon sniffs the air a moment as the ashes pass by and squints as some of the remains enter his nose.

FADE TO:
3 EXT. – City Streets – Sunset

Show title: “5 years later”

Old town in Transylvania surrounded by woods and at the base of a tall mountain. Upon the mountain sits the ruins of a dark castle. The streets are littered with people browsing the market and going about their daily lives. The buildings are packed quite tightly and very few have even enough room for alleyways. Stray animals run rampant as a dog chases a pair of cats through the commoners.

CUT TO:

Simon walks through the streets dressed in common clothing. His eyes are set on a building with a sign showing a cross. He makes his way to door of the building and enters.

CUT TO:

4 INT. Village Elder’s House - Evening

The house is full of herbs and potions decorating the many shelves and cabinets in the shop. A round table sits in the center of the room with four wooden chairs. An old woman “Village Elder” stands at the opposite side of the room from the door.

Simon enters slowly and looks to the woman immediately.

Village Elder
(Calmly)
I knew you’d come to me.

Simon
Old woman, what can I-
(Pauses)
Simon grabs his chest in pain.

Village Elder
Here, come sit down, child.

Simon
(Staggering)
I’m no child, but thank you for seeing me today.

The village Elder leads Simon to the table and helps him sit down. She then begins to pace the room checking the various potions as she speaks with him.

Village Elder
It has been some time since you saved our people, young Simon Belmont. We are in your debt. But there is something that has troubled me since the day you came back from that castle.

Simon
What do you mean?

Village Elder
Well, it came to my attention when I first saw you trying to help that young girl you are always chasing after. I noticed that you, a fit and strong young man, had a bit of trouble while lifting a barrel.

Simon
The pains have been getting worse as the days go on.

Village Elder
Precisely. It is my opinion that you have contracted some form of curse while you were in that castle. Did you eat anything while there? Perhaps drink the water or ingest anything that could have been carrying a curse?

Simon
None, I was careful in all aspects of that journey.
(Pause)
But there was-

Village Elder
Simon, if you can remember anything, you must tell me now! I am here to help you but I need to know what ails you or else there is no way to determine a solution.

Simon
I may… I may have taken in some of Dracula’s ashes when I killed him. I recall a very sour smell in the air as I let his ashes leave the window as he burned.

Village Elder
Then it was his ashes… Yes I see. It would make sense that the curse be passed on to you through killing him.

Simon
What must I do?

Village Elder
Well, as you know, your forefathers have been putting that wicked vampire to rest generation after generation over the years since he first appeared over six hundred years ago. I assume that he has placed a curse upon you to prevent your bloodline from continuing. By killing you, he’ll be able to safely kill upon his resurrection unopposed by your descendants. Perhaps resurrecting him yourself and killing him once more can lift the curse.

Simon
Wouldn’t that carry a heavy risk? What if I am unable to kill him in my current shape?

Village Elder
Then we are doomed either way. I can only ask that you do what is in your heart, but know that your tribe is the only that can stand against his power.

Simon
(Pause)
I know. Thank you for your time.

Simon stands and walks towards the door.

Village Elder
Mind yourself out there, Simon. It’s a terrible night to have a curse.

CUT TO:

5 EXT. – Forest - Night

Simon now runs through the woods up a dirt path towards the ominous castle. Clad once more in the red and black and red armor Simon carries at his side a chain whip. He stops at the castle gates and looks up to the moon. He pauses a moment as a flock of bats scatter from the door eclipsing the moon for a moment.

CUT TO:
6 INT. – Castle – Night

The interior of the castle is in shambles; cobwebs hang from nearly every piece of furniture. Simon pauses and looks up the main staircase.

Simon
Soon I’ll revive you. And soon my bloodline will be free to continue protecting the people of this world from your plague.

Simon makes his way through the east wing of the castle and into the library.

CUT TO:
7 INT. – Castle – Night

The library is massive. The bookshelves extend high into the darkness and the corridors weave in and out creating an intimidating maze of knowledge. Moonlight shines down through the holes in the ceiling casting a bright glow upon a tome, which rests heavily upon an altar.

Simon walks up to the tome and cautiously opens it, revealing a series of morbid sketches and texts in a myriad of languages.

Simon
(Mumbling softly)
Demonology, Cockatrice, no, Clergy, Cancer, Curse. Curse! Here we go. Curses are quite often the product of magic that is cast upon a living being. In the case of protective curses, anyone who kills the protected being then contracts the curse as a form of punishment for the murder. Curses of this nature are often lifted through two means, the first being of magical methods involving formal rituals prepared by the highest choir of sages. The other, more direct method is through the resurrection and destruction of the protected being that first passed the curse upon its victim.

Simon sighs and thumbs through the book a bit more.

Simon
Resurrections, resurrections are among the most evil magical acts that a human can attempt. Through the ritual, the mortal attempts to defy god by pulling the soul of the deceased out of heaven or hell and forcing them to once again inhabit a living vessel. Upon obtaining the blood of an innocent, one must create an altar to Thanatos, the god of death. Leave the remains within the altar for a full cycle of the
moon. Upon the first full moon after the cycle is completed, pour the blood upon the remains to complete the ritual.

Simon slams the book closed and quickly walks out of the library. With his fists clenched he walks up the stairs towards Dracula’s throne room.

CUT TO:
8 INT. Castle Throne Room – Night

The throne room looks the same as before, moonlight now shines through the still open window upon the charred bones of Dracula.

Simon walks past the bones and reaches into his leather pouch. He paces the room and observes the throne as he pulls out a piece of white chalk.

After a few moments he begins drawing runes around the throne and creates a circular design that spirals inward to the seat. He gathers several half burnt out candles from the room and places them upon the glyphs. Gathering the bones from the ground, he places them upon the throne and proceeds to light the candles.

Simon leaves the room as the candles flicker in the darkness.

FADE TO:
9 EXT. Town outside – Night

“30 Nights Later” is displayed on the screen.

Simon walks down a path holding the hand of a young boy “Timothy”. They walk up the woodland path leading to the castle. Timothy grips both his hands around Simon’s wrist.

Timothy
(Scared)
Sir? What are we doing up here? Father said I’m never to come to this place.

Simon
(Slight Delay)
Were going to save the world, Timothy.

Timothy
Oh my, I don’t know if I should be here. I should probably go home now. This place is too scary.

Simon
(Aggravated)
Listen, I don’t want to be here any more than you, and I certainly do not want to do what I’m about to. But I need your help. Without you, Timothy, this will all be for nothing. Now please be quiet and come with me.

Simon drags Timothy on and into the Castle.

CUT TO:

10 INT. Castle Throne Room – Night

The throne now glows a soft purple. The candles have burnt out long ago and now sit silently around the ominous chair.

The pair walk into the room and Timothy tries to jump back in horror but is pulled into place by Simon.

Timothy
(Wide eyed)
What is this? What is going on here Mister?!

Simon
(Calmly)
Timothy, give me your hand.

Simon drags Timothy to the throne and holds his hands out over the bones. Timothy begins to scream wildly as the bones’ purple glow increases.

Simon pulls out a dagger and places it to Timothy’s palm. Timothy screams and tries to make a fist as the dagger pierces his hand and blood spills out onto the bones.

Simon
Your role here is done Timothy, you may go home. I suggest you run.

Timothy
(Crying)
What are you? What-

Timothy runs towards the door as soon as Simon releases his grip.

The two massive iron doors slam shut behind Timothy as he leaves the throne room. Simon now stands ready in front of the throne with whip in hand. The bones begin to move and start to slowly reconstruct Dracula’s form.

CUT TO:
11 EXT. – Woods outside of Castle – Night

Timothy runs through the woods crying. A shadowy figure passes the screen behind him. Timothy screams as a large furry creature (Werewolf) leaps out of the darkness in front of him. The Werewolf snarls and moves towards Timothy.

CUT TO:
12 INT. – Castle Throne Room – Night
The skeleton of Dracula is now complete as the jawbone cracks into place and a wispy voice echoes from the skeleton’s mouth.

Dracula
(Laughing)
Ah yes, I feel the sting of life returning to me! Soon I’ll be whole again!

Simon
(Enraged)
You thought your curse would end me and my blood line. You were fatally mistaken, Dracula! I’ve come to kill you and end this wretched curse, once and for all.

Dracula
You thought I placed this curse upon you to end your bloodline? My dear boy, it was merely an excuse to be resurrected early! And with the help of my curse, you’ll be far too weak stop me this time.

Simon pulls the crossbow he carries on his back out and loads it.

Simon
You’ll not have time to gain power Dracula. I’ll see to that.

The window busts open as the Werewolf climbs through carrying the corpse of Timothy under his arm. Simon quickly turns to the werewolf and grits his teeth at the sight of Timothy.

Simon
Damn you!

Simon launches a thick silver tipped bolt from his crossbow into the werewolf’s skull.

Dracula
(Laughing)
Magnificent! My army of the night still serves me well!

Dracula’s remains explode in a flurry of bats as his skeleton leaves the throne. Simon pulls out his chain whip and tries to destroy the swarm of bats as they engulf Timothy’s lifeless corpse. Simon falls to the ground as the pain of his curse once more takes him over. He grips his chest as he marvels in horror at the sight of the bats ripping Timothy’s corpse apart.

Simon
(Angry)
No! Timothy! Damn you, monster!

The bats slowly reform, taking the shape of the Dracula’s completed form. Draped once more in his black and red robes. At his feet lay a shriveled and dry corpse of Timothy.

Dracula
(Laughing)
Yes! I am complete! This child was a delicious sacrifice to my cause, Belmont. You’ve proven your usefulness and I shall repay you with a quick death!

Simon
(Angry)
I… Will not let this curse stop me! I am a Belmont, I am a destined vampire hunter! You’ll not stop me, my cause is righteous!

Simon staggers to his feet and whips the flail towards Dracula’s chest. Dracula once again bursts into a flurry of bats that disappear. He takes form behind Simon and releases a fire blast from his cloak.

Simon rolls out of the way of the magical attack and grips his chest as the ball of fire engulfs the curtains. The room slowly takes on a red glow as the walls begin to catch flame.

Dracula
Give it up, fool. You are only prolonging your own suffering. You are but a meaningless pile of flesh standing between me and the world! I’ll lead your people to the slaughter like the cattle they are!

Simon
I’m beyond your curses, you pathetic demon!
Simon pulls out a silver cross from his satchel which begins to glow as it hits the air of the room. The light from the cross blinds Dracula and he hisses in pain. Simon whips out and lashes his flail around Dracula’s neck pulling him to his knees. Dracula shrieks in terror as Simon pulls him close. With a mighty burst of light, Simon plants the cross’ sharp end into Dracula’s forehead.

Dracula
(Screeching)
You cannot destroy me, I am eternal!

Simon spins with Dracula in his grip throwing him onto a wall spike extending from the flames. He loads a bold into his crossbow and launches into Dracula’s heart.

Simon
(Out of Breath)
And whenever you return, there will always be a Belmont to stop you.

Dracula’s body burns quickly as the fire engulfs him. A shrill pierces Simon’s ear as the body disappears into the flame. Tears and sweat pour from Simon as he stares on at the dead Dracula. He looks down at his hand and grips a fist. He smiles to himself then looks to the lifeless body of Timothy.

Picking up Timothy, Simon leaves the burning room.

FADE TO:

13 EXT. City Streets – Dawn

Simon walks down the street towards the house of the Village Elder.

CUT TO:
14 INT. Village Elder’s House
Simon opens the door and carries Timothy into the house. He places the body on the table and looks up as the village elder hurries down the stairs.

Village Elder
(Shocked)
S-Simon! What have you done?!

Simon
I… I’ve lifted the curse and killed Dracula once more.

Village Elder
But this boy, this was a boy from our Village! You killed a child!

Simon
(Shocked)
What? No! Dracula killed him, I only needed a small amount of his blood to begin the resurrection. I did it to save our people!

The Village Elder pauses and looks at the corpse.

Village Elder
The people of this town will not understand. They will blame you and you’ll be burned at the stake. If I defend you I may also be at risk for witchcraft accusations.

Simon
(Concerned)
No. I cannot let you take this burden. I’ll take the boy’s body with me and leave town. I’ll give him a proper burial and continue my family legacy of training vampire hunters.

Village Elder
I’m sorry that you must do this last thing for us Simon. You’ve done so much already. Thank you.

FADE TO:
15 EXT. Mountain Road – Sunrise

Simon walks up a path away from the town as the sun bursts over the horizon. The Castle now slowly crumbles in the distance as massive flames engulf its structure.