Scary words

The good news is, that only fat internet nerds and bush supporters actualy listen to his speeches.

Because a: he’s a wasp (white anglo-saxon protestant), b: he’s the president, c: it’s the Christian God, d: everyone (or at least most) for some reason seems tot hink that he is too dumb to know what is going on and what he’s doing, even though he obviously isn’t, and so excuss him.

And if I was on a mission from God to kill HIM, I’d be called insane and thrown in prison.
:frowning:

Ultimately, everyone is under direct orders of God to kill everybody else. Seems like we’ve died and gone to that wrath punishment from LucasArt’s Afterlife’s Hell.

Ok. The temptation is overwhelming.

I, a Young Pioneer of the Soviet Union,
in the presence of my comrades
solemnly promise:
To love my Soviet Motherland passionately.
To live, learn and struggle as the great Lenin bade us
and as the Communist Party teaches us.

Him or George W. Bush?

<a href=“http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4320586.stm”>The comments have been denied</a>, according to the latest developments.

Mahmoud Abbas’ version, which appears in both articles, is, “I have a moral and religious obligation. I must get you a Palestinian state. And I will.” His further comments at the end of the article are also important.

I’m sure painting Bush as a religious extremist with delusions of grandeur is expedient to clearing newstands, and that Nabil Shaath’s version of Bush’s statement provided a golden opportunity. Which certainly explains the Guardian’s headline.

So, being guided by one’s religous principles becomes, “God told me to. He called collect, too, the cheap bastard.”

In my History lessons I learned that King George III was completely off his rocker at times.

It could be another Looney… GW Bush, Keep out we’ve got enough here already.

Read up on Louis XIV

The article doesn’t deny the original quote. It just adds Abbas’ interpretation of that quote, which isn’t even significantly different from the quote itself.

Well, our god is just more BADASS than their god. He can kick their god’s ASS and we have to prove it to prove our faith. Also, we have to prove that we love god by ignoring many of his commandmants, and supporting most highly the only group his supposed son ever actually got truly angry with.

Honestly, it’s kind of sad how all vocal christians in America ignore more than half, easily, of the bible. They run about spouting pathetic, intolerant inferences with shreds of logic about as strung together as a jigsaw puzzle missing all its pieces, about homosexuality being evil, having read Sodom and Gamorra over and over to be sure they know what it’s about, without ever having analyzed it in any way but their own, but they can’t even read ‘Love thy brother’ and ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged.’ The same with abortion clinics. I’ve read the Bible all the way through, along with most other religious texts I can find, and none of them say, if you see someone breaking one of our commandments, kill the motherfucker. Nor do they say give someone other than me ownership and control, even worship over your lives just so that they stop whoever is breaking the commandment.

My interpretation is that this is the Guardian quoting the BBC quoting Nabil Shaath quoting Bush. … Man.

Yeah, but here’s the thing; which quote did they paraphrase for their headline? The one that would sell.

SK: Abbas’ version of Bush’s comments is interpretable in different ways. Saying that God guides you is not the same as saying God personally instructs you to do things.

let’s see here
“God guided me”
That really sounds personal. I don’t see how you can really interpret it any other way unless you really really wanted it to sound like something different.

Saying God guided you implies personal connection. Otherwise, you should say his words guided you.
For example, Mick Jones’ words guided me to a lot of mellow-er feelings about ‘selling out,’ but Mick Jones’ himself didn’t do it. He didn’t make jokes about it being a little thing that shouldn’t matter just for my sake, and he certainly didn’t fly over from England to tell me how to think about the subject. It was his words, not he, that guided me.