say that you liked ffu!

Yep, that’s true. They ruined it in the dub.

I’m really not sure about that. There are a lot of shows the Japanese regard as kiddy that you wouldn’t guess was a kids’ show.

Which ones?

Like Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Detective Conan, and Slayers.

How do you know they regard Gundam Wing and Slayers are kiddy?

I’ve read stuff about what they think of anime in Japan. I also heard stuff from other people that know people from Japan. STuff like that.

Just keep in mind that he’s a veteran wanderer!

Stop being so vague. What stuff?

Okay, I’ll give you direct examples

I know this dude that went to Japanese class with me that said the Japanese made Fushigi Yuugi and Slayers for kids.

Also read this article http://www.angelfire.com/geek/tetrisnomiko/misconceptions.html

I can’t totallly say what those people say is the gospel truth, but it sounds kind of accurate.

Well, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think you should put your faith in the accuracy of a badly made angelfire site. I believe that most people here would see Sailor Moon, a show about a teenager girl who gets magic sparkly powers or whatever and Detective Conan as shows for kids or teenagers. I don’t think there is anyone here who would say that Sailor Moon and Detective Conan have intense philosphical plots written for adults. I’ve never seen Slayers so I can’t speak for that. However, Gundam Wing is actually confusing as hell and deals with political intrigue between various factions and does not develop the romantic Yuy-Peacecraft love story one would probably expect from a sterotypical and simple anime intended for younger audiences, but it has some strange and unexpected psychological developments in all the main characters. So I don’t know <i>how</i> you could <i>not</i> see Sailor Moon and Detective Conan as kiddy and <i>how</i> you could see Gundam Wing <i>as</i> kiddy, excepting maybe the giant robot factor. There are as many light-hearted joke scenes in Gundam Wing as I can count on the fingers of one of my hands.

You know GW was originally a manga. Manga usually don’t have target audiences

When they animate it, though, a lot of times they target a certain audience.

um…Who would try to defend that Smoon was not kiddy? I have yet to see enough of the others to judge them properly. Any good examples?

You know GW was originally a manga. Manga usually don’t have target audiences

wasn’t the anime first in this case?

i spent my weekend by watching ffu again (the WHOLE 25 eps.) with a friend, and hey: she liked it! (but i fear she was more interested in her “bishonen-stuff” than in anything else…)

This doesn’t have anything to do with anything.

When they animate it, though, a lot of times they target a certain audience.

And I’m curious as to why anyone would think it would be geared towards kids? And who actually thinks that Sailor Moon and Detective Conan are geared towards adult audiences?

I don’t know why they think that…

and i don’ t know anymore what you’re talking about!

could we please return to topic?

when i watched ffu again, my friend said that some things (especially yu and ai) remind her of ghibli anime.

Yeah

:moogle: :moogle: ::dekar!:: HEY! FFU is one of my favorite animes of all time!