Review: La Pucelle Tactics

Well it’s been out for a few days now so I though it was about time someone reviewed it.

La Pucelle Tactics, which was released just last week, is the North American localization of the game La Pucelle from acclaimed Japanese developer Nippon Ichi. Fans of tactical RPGs will recognize Nippon Ichi as the developer of last year’s Disegaea, a humorous game filled with dark humor and unusual characters. While La Pucelle Tactics is being released a year after Disegaea, the game actually predates Disegaea in Japan which means that the graphics, while quite beautiful, have a slightly dated feel to them. In addition to this, the artwork might look a little too cute for some people, everything is beautifully illustrated, but instead of the dark appearance monsters had in Disegaea they now look cute and adorable.
The story revolves around a young girl named Prier who wants to become the next Maiden of Light and battle evil. It is widely believed that Priere, one of the secret characters and Disegaea, and Prier are in fact the same character. This gives La Pucelle an interesting connection with Disegaea should appeal to most fans.
While La Pucelle is meant to be light hearted and funny it possess a very different kind of humor from Disegaea. While Disegaea’s jokes where obvious and in your face, La Pucelle’s are more subtle deal more with the relationship between the characters. An important difference which might disappoint some fans, but thrill others. La Pucelle might not be exactly what some expected, but those who give it a chance should find the experience worthwhile.

For those who complain my reviews are always too long you’ll be happy to know this one is exactly 1500 characters.

P.S. I wrote this review as part of a job application, so I’d also like your comments about it before I send in my application in a few hours.
Thx.

The fact that it’s made by the guys who made Disgaea is a good enough reason for me to buy it. Disgaea quicky became one of my favorate games, and I plan on picking up La Pucelle soon.

As for the review, it sounds good to me.

“Disgaea”.

It is widely believed that Priere, one of the secret characters and Disegaea, and Prier are in fact the same character.

Shouldn’t that be “one of the secret characters in Disgaea”?

This gives La Pucelle an interesting connection with Disegaea and should appeal to most fans. While La Pucelle is meant to be light hearted and funny it possesses a very different kind of humor from Disegaea. While Disegaea’s jokes were obvious and in your face, La Pucelle’s are more subtle deal more with the relationship between the characters. This is an important difference which might disappoint some fans, but thrill others. La Pucelle might not be exactly what some expected, but those who give it a chance should find the experience worthwhile.

Yeah you’re right, I made the changes and reworded it to meet the length limit

La Pucelle Tactics, which was released just last week, is the North American localization of the game La Pucelle from acclaimed Japanese developer Nippon Ichi. Fans of tactical RPGs will recognize Nippon Ichi as the developer of last year’s Disegaea, a humorous game filled with dark humor and unusual characters. While La Pucelle Tactics is being released a year after Disegaea, the game actually predates Disegaea in Japan which means that the graphics, while quite beautiful, have a slightly dated feel to them. In addition to this, the artwork might look a little too cute for some people, everything is beautifully illustrated, but instead of the dark appearance monsters had in Disegaea they now look cute and adorable.
The story revolves around a young girl named Prier who wants to become the next Maiden of Light and battle evil. It is widely believed that Priere, a secret character in Disegaea, and Prier are in fact the same character. This gives La Pucelle an interesting connection with Disegaea should appeal to most fans.
While La Pucelle is meant to be light hearted and funny it possess a very different kind of humor from Disegaea. While Disegaea’s jokes were obvious and in your face, La Pucelle’s are subtler deal more with the relationships between the characters. This is an important difference, which might disappoint some fans, but thrill others. La Pucelle might not be exactly what some expected, but those who give it a chance should find the experience worthwhile.

Well, this review doesn’t really help. I don’t want to know about the publishers and how much is has to do with some other game; I want to know how sweet the graphics, sounds, music, gameplay, storyline, characters, replay factors are :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, you didn’t really cover any aspects of the game that most people would care about. :stuck_out_tongue:

You are just reviewing the game story and graphics wise,you should add how battles feel and develop.

But yeah GG Crono preaty much sum it up for me it’s created by the developers of Disgaea it’ reason enough for me to buy it,and besides it looks very good.

Where is the secret character Priere in Disgaea?

I think you have to complete either Alternate Netherworld or Mysterious Seal. Neither of which I have done yet.

That was the same reason I got it first day out. Phantom Brave will be the same.

Its a good review that says nothing.

Thanks for the input, you’re right, it’s a good review, but it doesn’t say that much. The problem is that I have a limit of 1500 characters, about 250 words, which is less than half as long as my review usually run. After reading your comments I realized that what I had was actually the first half of a 500 word review, good but some key elements where missing.

So I gave it a major overhaul and tried to cover more things, but it less detail.

La Pucelle Tactics is the latest tactical RPG from Nippon Ichi, makers of last year’s highly popular Disgaea. It uses the same style of pre-rendered 3D battlefields with 2D anime style character sprites as its predecessor. While La Pucelle Tactics is being released a year after Disegaea, the game actually predates Disegaea in Japan which means that the graphics, while quite beautiful, have a slightly dated feel to them. In addition to this, some might find that the artwork is a little too cute, everything is beautifully illustrated, but instead of the dark appearance monsters had in Disegaea they now look adorable. The music is appropriate and enjoyable and is subtle enough not to distract from the game itself. The game play is straightforward and will be easily understood by most gamers, but mastering some of the unusual elements like the Dark Portal system will provide a challenge for all. The game features excellent voice acting that really captures the persona of each character.
The story revolves around a young girl named Prier as she battle demons and tries to unravel a conspiracy. The game has many secrets hidden across the different areas, which shed a deeper insight into the events that shape each of the game’s chapters.
La Pucelle is meant to be light hearted and funny, which provides a nice counterpoint for the moving story. Even in the heat of battle one can’t help but smile at such terrible attacks as Kitchen Sink, it is definitely a must-try for tactical RPG fans.

Again there’s a limit to how much you can say in 250 words, and I usually hate to give a definite opinion, I usually try to give people enough information so they can form their own opinion. I think this version does a much better job of doing that.

P.S. I submitted this version so if you think it’s junk don’t tell me, at least not until I get my reply :stuck_out_tongue: