Return of The Slayers?

Word is there’s a new Slayers TV Anime in the works, the Slayers wiki page makes mention of the source. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a red herring, I’ve been dying to see a comeback of the series somehow or another.

And it damn well better have more of Prince Phil than Try did!

I just hope the current J.C. Staff does a better job with this than with their other novel adaptations. After what they did to ZnT and how much time wasted in filler the second season of Shana has, my faith on them is dragging through the ground.

Ehh… I want to be happy by this news, but the cynic in me thinks they’d probably never reach the heights of Slayers Next ever again.

I’ve never seen Slayers, but ANN posted about this yesterday.

Originally Posted by SpoonyBard
And it damn well better have more of Prince Phil than Try did!

I too have never seen Slayers, but I wonder if by Prince Phil you mean Phil Prince of Insufficient Light?

Prince Philioniel, the Prince who tried a ‘PARENTAL LOVE SMASHING BURST JUMP!’ to reach an island in the sky, not quite making it, and doing a Wile E. Coyote style ‘fall to the ground making a big crater’ plummet.

The same Prince Phil who interrupted the final battle at the end of season one just when it was starting to get dramatic to attack the villain, only to be swatted away easily.

And the same Prince Phil who… didn’t do a damn thing in Slayers Try, which was a damn shame.

I used to watch Slayers! on the Spanish Kid’s Cable Channel Sorpresa! (Surprise!) but they reran episodes so often I just quit after a while. Too bad, because it’s a good series, I liked the characters, the universe and the wackyness. They actually translated the songs, too! I think I stopped somewhere in the middle of Next.

Slayers Try made my head hurt with the horrible amount of filler in it. By the time we got to the super sentai parody I actively hated every single character.

Slayers! and Next were good, though. The movies varied, but Naga generally was pretty neat.

You mean all of it? As far as I know, Try was an entirely anime-original story. Unless you mean the filler within the filler season which, yeah, made me want to pop my eyes out with my own thumbs. Granted I don’t know the books so I could be mistaken about Try being all filler, but that’s how I’ve always heard it.

Try ATTEMPTED to do neat things, and for awhile it seemed like it might turn out better than it did. They killed off whining brooding emo villain Valgaav half-way through, it seemed, but then they brought in two more villains who were even LESS interesting. And they looked lame. I still don’t get how they could make Almayce look so dang cool, but then make Whozits and Sirius look so freaking bland. But that’s besides the point.

For awhile it appeared the story might actually elaborate on the grey area regarding who really is good and evil, and how Gods and Monsters aren’t as two-dimensional as they appear… and then right at the very end they throw all that away, bring back the brooding ponce and have one giant team-up against the big ultimate baddie. Yawn.

At least Xellos had some really awesome moments in Try, that’s about it.

Yeah, Xellos and Filia were the only semi-rational reasons to watch Try. It was just plain boring compared to the hilarity of Next. They could have done a hell of a lot more with Filia, too.

YES.

The greatest moment in Try was probably Filia freaking out about how Xellos betrayed them, and everyone else going “Well, duh. He’s Xellos, of course he was gonna do that”.

Other than that, yeah it was a wreck. Especially the piles of filler right after the Dark Star is trapped. I mean, guys, weren’t we in a kinda climatic part here, what’s with the geriatric Power Rangers now?

Speaking of which, that season kinda killed one of the greatest demons in existance. Doesn’t that fuck over the novels? Since Fibrizo supposedly gave Goru Nova back to Dugradigdu.

It’s safe to say that animated canon != written canon, which can be said for lots of series, really. FMA anyone? But, the thing is there, FMA animated was still really good with the changes it made.

Granted Slayers Next is still one of my favorite anime of all time, despite its flaws.

Also, while I mostly hated Filia as a character, she was saved in my eyes for her interactions with Xellos, which really WERE the highlights of the episodes. The scene SE mentioned is probably one of the best moments in Try. Even though the pacing of the season as a whole was terrible.

Well, I just hope they learned from their mistakes with Try, either way the new series will be an animated original so we can only pray that they did.

I have only seen the original series sadly. But it was pretty good.

The first episode aired just recently in Japan. Expect fansubs to follow in a few days.

Here’s a low-quality rip of the opening video, if you’re so interested.

Eclipse is subbing it, fyi.

So can we expect 12 hours subs like Code Geass now?

It’s good. After 11 years, the staff and cast is just as good as ever. They haven’t missed a beat.

How’s the animation style, though? I hope it’s using more modern resolutions and not the rather crappy graininess of the early '90s.

Animation-wise it’s mediocre. Obviously, it’s leagues better than the old ones, but it’s nothing special from what I’ve seen either.

Then again, I had just watched the first chapter of Birdy, so I might be a bit too harsh on it.