Remember my pledge of allegiance fiasco?

Most sex offenders are.

I guess those pricks enjoy forcing stupid rules upon the students just to pretend they’re actually working.

Probably.

I may be killing myself for saying this, but the USA does alot of stuff like that. A free country, sure, but they have more laws and regulations than almost any other, and most of them putting limits on those freedoms. Next thing you know, there will be compulsory democracy.

You guys had it light. Here and there there’s a discussion about religion and science mixing where they shoudl’nt in schools, right?

Well, from my 8’s to my 16’s, I studied in a school where one of the subjects was Christain Philosophy and Ethics. Mandatory. Basically teaching us to memorize passages from the bible. It has a creationistic view of the universe up to the year when we start having biology (I think I was 12 when I started having it), and from then on the topics divert to how sex-for-pleasure leads to hell, not accepting Jesus leads to a sorrowful life and to hell etc.

By the way, it’s a catholic school, and this subject is very distasteful to non-catholic christains.

No, there aren’t many laws forcing you to lose your rights, it’s mostly the assholes ridiculing and verbally abusing people that makes it so it seems that way. That, and when you are either threatened, insulted, or ridiculed, they don’t do much about it if they disagree with your position in most cases.

Ren, the school you’re talking about is a private school, which can’t really be compared to a public school… then again you’re in Brazil, which is much different. Do catholic schools get federal funding or not? If they do, then you can complain.

I think it’s stupid and unfair to try force feeding any religion to children. They should be allowed to choose consciously, instead of just being forced by parents and schools.

It’s not funded by the government, so you’re right, I should complain to my parents -_-

I agree with you 100% on that one, Manus. Part of most religious people’s ignorance is their lack of education in modern sciences. Berrate me, fine, but still true.

I’m inclined to agree on this one. Your former school system is ridiculous here. My former high school has apparantly introduced a school sanctioned “Extreme Bible Study” group. I made a complaint to a state congresswoman, who laughed it off and said that the school could do what it wanted, and if I disagreed, I shouldn’t do anything about it, and let my children make their own decisions as to whether or not they wish to be more religious than I am (for the record, I don’t have children, and I don’t know where she got the idea that I did). Now I’m trying to contact a a real congressperson or senator to see if they can understand why our country has separation of church and state. Unfortunately, since I live in Texas, I’m pretty unlikely to find anyone in the government who wouldn’t shun me for not being Christian.

Ah, yes, I fondly remember my high school days, in which our moronic principal, every Monday, said the pledge of allegiance over the PA system. He delivered them like Shatner. Really.

I’m suprized they just don’t drop saying the PoA if it causes so much trouble and time to argue about it. It’s not like schools actualy teach the meaning of the PoA to students, rather then just to memorize it. I got it taught to me in Kindergarden, and we said it every week untill I graduated from high school. Hell, in elementry school, we would make up parodys of it to say when it was time to stand and face the flag.

I pledge allegiance, to queen Frag, and her mighty state of histeria, and to the monarch for which it sits, one station, under satan, with liberty and bus stops for all.

Yeah right now it looks pretty stupid, but in 2nd grade that was hillarious.

Some of you may remember my experience with this subject. The only difference was that the rules really did say I didn’t have to stand for the pledge, and with this knowledge in hand I fought the good fight, and made a respected teacher look like a fool amongst her peers and students.

As members of society, it is our duty to comment on public institutions. I encourage you to do the following:

Write your district representive, the PTA of your former school and their respective Board of Education members to bring the matter to their attention. If that yields no results, try writing an editorial in your local newspaper and try to garner the situation some public attention.

The problem lies in the fact that you are not a student there anymore. If you have some siblings that go there you can talk about how you fear for the infringement of their rights, but if not, you’ll be hard pressed to come up with a reason as to why this affects you specifically - as I don’t really see that it does. It sucks, but you don’t have to deal with it, so don’t really worry about it.

You stole part of that from Calvin and Hobbes.

I did it “I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg, and her mighty state of hysteria, and to the republic for Richard Stands, one nation underwear, in dirigibles, with liver tea and bus stops for all.”

My problem is the kids are being made to recite it when they don’t even know what it means.

why do you hate america

I see no problem with the new law. As a student of the institution, the school has the right to let your parents know that you aren’t participating in this activity. This doesn’t contradict any supreme court decision at all. The supreme court has held up that religion is an acceptable defence for not standing for the pledge, and the new law still takes that into account. IT’s perhaps a little underhanded, but well within the law. At least as far the system is concerned, schools do not exist merely to fill your head with information, but also to acclimatize you and make you into a better citizen. Standing for the pledge fits into that spectrum.

If I were a teacher, I would not merely stand by and watch my students not stand for the pledge without any reason. I remember in high school that most of the kids who didn’t stand for the pledge were the kids who got D’s and F’s anyway and were just lazy and didn’t give a shit. They would complain that “oh man i’m not standing for the pledge man they make kids stand for the pledge but they don’t even care if anyone understands what it means man.” But at the same time they didn’t really understand why they weren’t standing either. They were just lazy, and laziness should be punished by schools. If you really had strong beliefs as to why you didn’t want to stand, then you had better be able to write me a 10 or 15 page paper with your original thoughts and research as to why it upsets you. Or a signed piece of paper from your parents. I won’t argue with that. But the answer “well it’s against my personal beliefs” wouldn’t fly for anything else in a school, so why should the pledge be an exception?

It’s not like a pledge is a binding contract on your soul. You can still pledge your allegiance and criticize your country. You can still denounce your pledge later in life if your opinion changes.

Actually, the reasoning behind the person’s not standing for the pledge was religious, but the supreme court ruling stated that it doesn’t matter what reasoning. No one can be forced to “observe the flag.” Pledging allegiance to the flag is well within the definition of observing the flag.

I couldn’t give two shits for someone’s reasoning behind not standing. If they want to be a complete fucktard about it and do it because they’re lazy, they have the right to, no matter if it just proves how sad they are.

Zeppelin, why would you want to see fourteen pages of filler around ‘I don’t want to make a pledge placing myself in the alleigance and servitute of an istitution I don’t believe in even when it works properly, and especially not when it is so terrifically “broken” as it is now.’
I don’t see how I need any more reason than that to not stand for the pledge. I go to an art school (it is a public school), and we’ve never had any of the stand and pledge thing because you’d have about two guys standing, which is more comical than it is moving.

It seems that, if one wanted to be lazy in the situation Steve describes, it would be much easier to just memorize and recite the thing every day, without regard for its meaning, rather than to refuse and incur the displeasure of the school authorities and other possible inconveniences.

My friends and I were big Calvin and Hobbes fans, part of it is also from Eek the Cat. And what is this crap about stealing it? I didn’t write that just now, we were in second grade when we started saying it.

A girl in my class wouldn’t stand for the pleadge, since Bono from U2 was mad at the USA after 9/11

My principal at my former high school did that, too, but it was every day, not just Monday. I got kicked out of homeroom and was forced to spend my homeroom period in the class principal’s office because I refused to stand for the pledge. Yeah, my school had a main principal and four principals for each class. And they had security cameras right next to the fucking bathrooms. But it was no fun having to spend homeroom in the principal’s office when your principal is a man-hating dyke. Least not for me, anyways.

Now for another offtopic rant about sports, because NFL season starts soon, and I believe my Bengals are playoff bound this year. Dizzy’s Prediction: 9-7, wild card.

On the other hand, Ben Roethlisberger went to my high school, and he’s fucking everywhere nowadays(TV, Magazines, radio shows, etc.). Plus, he’s a $7 million man(his signing bonus). The Findlay Courier even devoted a special section to him on draft day. I, however, struggle for a cut above minimum wage flipping burgers. I wouldn’t trade places with him, because he plays for my hated rivals, the Pittsburgh Steelers. By playing for them, though, Big Ben benefits from a solid running game and offensive line. Two things my boys, the Bengals, don’t have. But my boys do have Carson Palmer tossing it to either Chad Johnson, Peter Warrick, or TJ Houshmanzadeh. All Big Ben has to throw to is Hines Ward now that Burress is in the Big Apple. but those goddamned Steelers still have the Bus. and that Steel Curtain. Fortunately, for my Bengals, the Steelers are the only really tough team in my division(The Browns and the Old Browns/Ravens are also in the AFC North, the Browns are still the Browns, and Kyle Boller is still the starting QB for the Ravens, so I like my Bengals’ chances this year)

Damn, we really need a sports forum. Though only five people would ever inhabit it.

Final rant: I hope Barry Bonds NEVER plays again.