Recent readings?

Ooh, ooh, His Dark Materials! I can’t believe I forgot about those books! runs to my liibrary to find those books again

Good luck, those things were hidden somewhere behind the encyclopedias and peadiatrics reference books.

JG (Jagdgeschwader) 26:Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald L. Caldwell.

Suicide Squads: The Men and Machines of WWII Special Operations by Richard O’Neill.

I’m reading the Decameron, by Giovanni Boccaccio, and the Story of the Stone, by Cao Xueqin. The Story of the Stone is probably the deeper and better book, but it’s not one you can sit down and read lightly. The Decameron is a collection of stories told by aristocrats holed up in a cottage during the Bubonic Plague. It’s pretty entertaining, in a way that’s surprising for a medieval-era book. I’d recommend it.

Xwing1056

Just read Salvatore’s Canticle. The sequel is in the post.

Sci-fi nerd, eh? Ever read “Enders Game” by Orson Scott Card or the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons? If not, I strongly suggest you do. The first book in the Hyperion series is… freaky.

I’ve been reading Idylls of the King for english and have been slowly making my way through The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard for leisure.

I’ve been reading almost exclusively for school : (. Not that the books I’ve read for it aren’t worthwhile, but…I miss my scifi and fantasy. I did manage to sneak <i>Maskerade</i> by Pratchett in, though. Almost done with it.

For school:
Journey into the Whirlwhind (Eugenia Semyonovna Ginzburg)
Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
The Deputy (Rolf Hochhuth)
The German Lesson (Siegfried Lenz)
A Woman (Peter Hartling)
Memoirs of an Anti-Semite (Gregor von Rezzori)
And Where Were You, Adam? (Heinrich Boll)
Andora (Max Frisch)
The Quest for Christa T. (Christa Wolf)

…however worthwhile these all were, they weren’t very happy books. This is easily the most depressing lineup of books I’ve ever read (<i>The Deputy</i> was definitely my favorite. Good stuff. Damn good.).

I usually don’t have much time for outside reading during the school year, but a month or so ago I read my second favorite book, The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, for the second time. Right now I’m about 30 pages into The Catcher in the Rye, which I’ve never read before.