Recent readings?

Just as a matter of curiosity, what (if anything) have you all been reading recently? I mean, like, in terms of books and stuff. :slight_smile:

Lately I have been ravenously devouring a large number of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books (currently reading Mort), and due to some persuations from Val, I’ve started reading Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of Immortality series. I’ve already finnished the first two, and I loved 'em.

Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series, I’m kinda regretting it. They’re excellent books, but each one is about 1,000 pages and I’ve gotten a huge book backlog while slogging through them.

Eh, I’m reading Life Strategies For Teens by Jay McGraw (Dr. Phil’s son) for school. It’s the independent study course I’m taking… read the book, do the assignments. It’s kinda boring, pretty much says that everything wrong in my life is my own fault. Which may or may not be true. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just finished Reading <u>Fifth Business</u> by Robertson Davies and <u>Snow Falling on Cedars</u> by… someone else. I don’t have the book in front of me so I don’t know the author :stuck_out_tongue:

And CH, I know exactly what you mean. I’ve been Reading James Clavell’s Asian Saga. <u>Shogun</u> and <u>Gai-jin</u> are both about 1200 pages. <u>Noble House</u> is about 1400. These beasts take me over 6 months to plow through at the frequency I read.

I’m re-reading Waywalkers by Catherine Webb, as the sequal comes out at the end of this month.

The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker. Seminar -_-;

I haven’t been to the bookstore in about a month, so I’m stuck rereading everything. Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Discworld, Piers Anthony’s Xanth and Incarnations of Immortality novels, etc. I’ve reread allmy books twice since then, and now, I’m ready to go read some trashy romance novels, and laugh at the really stupid names.

This thread… ^ _ ^;

I love the Incarnations of Immortality series! Not too much a fan of Xanth anymore though… it seems like every book is the same.

Recently:
The prose Edda of Snorri Sturluson; tales from Norse mythology
The Sandman comic book series
“The Tao of Pooh” - Benjamin Hoff
“Stupid white men : – and other sorry excuses for the state of the nation!” - Michael Moore
“The Norse Myths” - Kevin Crossley-Holland (one of the best Norse mythology books I’ve read)
“Guilty Pleasures” - Laurell K. Hamilton (yay for sexy vampire hunters who raise zombies from the dead for a living :D)
“Dude, Where’s My Country?” - Michael Moore
“American Gods” - Neil Gaiman (READ THIS!)

The last thing I read was “The Sound and the Fury” for my English 4 class…crap, I shouldn’t have brought that back up. swallows a bottle of aspirin

Rock on! I love IoI… the first one was the best, though. The middle of the series kinda sucked, but it got good again toward the end.

Right now I’m reading a book called <i>Conquering Shyness</i>, which I’ve been recommending to people on the chat and my live journal. For entertainment, I’m slowly plodding through <i>The Silmarillion</i>. I usually only read it on weekends in bed, and I’m a slow reader anyway, so it’s taken me quite some time. I’m close to finishing it now though.

Uhh…
Well, I recently read the first chapter of a book called “Satansverserna” (i.e. “The Satan verses”) and now I understand why it’s called that.
After the first page you just go: “What the <I>hell</I>?!”
:stuck_out_tongue:

For school… <u>Pride and Prejudice</u>, <u>David Copperfield</u>, <u>Fifth Business</u>.

For my personal enjoyment… <u>Weaveworld</u>, and I’m hoping to take out a copy of <u>War and Peace</u>. That should occupy me for like a month :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn’t even finish what Kero’s reading now (<u>Silmarillion</u>) because it was SO damn boring :stuck_out_tongue: Screw you, Christopher Tolkien!

Pit and the Pendelum.
William Wilson.

Both stories by E. A. Poe.

“One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” - That guy… Ken Kesey

Only the Great Gatsby and the like for school. I really want to go out and get another fantasy series. I’ve finished all the ones in my house and had to move on to sci-fi.

Discworld series that I’ve been borrowing from the library, re-reading “His Dark Materials” over and over again because it’s just that goddamn great.

Since I’ve been playing Deus Ex, I’ve also inevitably, borrowed more books from the library about the Illuminati.

Oh, and then there’s also the fucking college text books I have to keep revising with for my tests in June. God I can’t wait till July.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville, he was the only Dark Romantic left for an English project.

I’m currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman…very trippy…I luv it. ^^

The Trigger by Arthur C Clarke and Time by Stephen Baxter. I’m a sci-fi nerd.