Rap

L.A. Dream Team in the mother fuckin’ house.

Don’t fucking talk if you’re going to take things so conspicuously out of context. Actually, please, PLEASE do it again so I can completely stop taking you seriously and not have to worry about this anymore.

As I said; light.
I don’t know what you define hard as, but by the conventional definition Tool is pretty much as hard as it gets.

I do not hate Linkin Park. I actually don’t mind most of them, and like some. Points of Authority is a great song. They are, however, very related to teen angst. Or filled with enough ominous, angsty vaguaries to be seen as such by a large, large number of listeners, for bettwer or worse.
No. There is nothing self-loathing about their lyrics or their music. If you’ve actually listened to them and you still deny this, you’re outright lying to yourself.

Do you know what Angst means?
Wait. We have had this exact discussion.
About this exact band, I believe.
If not, it was Hoobastank, either way, their songs are about many of those things, but generally also about angst. Angst is not a theme, it is an emotional tone, and one Linkin Park frequently utilizes in a context that could be applicable, very easily, to teenage woes. I am not having this debate again, because if you can’t even remember the definition from last time, there is no point. It’s like teaching a stoned monkey Bushido.
Just out of curiosity, why does this matter? Say they do sing about angst. So? If nothing else, bitching about poverty and gang wars is angsty. If you’re going to use angst against LP you have to use it against rap too. But I think what’s actually happening is you’re making a dead-end argument.

That occurs with any popular genre. The actually good leads to it becoming popular, then thousands of bands copy it for money. Before hip-hop was popular, it had a much higher good-bad ratio than the rock of the time, I think you’ll find. As for Tupac, that’s just a difference of opinion, I guess.
I already agreed with you on this. Apparently the second part of what I said went over your head: Every genre has shitty artists but no genre is slanted toward shitty artists to the point that there’s less than ten in a thousand that are worth listening to. Gangsta Rap is.

Firstly, I’ve seen very little rap that glorifies poverty
Your argument is over.

The 984 wins the thread. The rest of you can go home. Thanks for playing, have a nice day.

You guys need to learn about the hyphy movement and go crazy, dumb, and stupid. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just pointing out how the “they aren’t really rap-rock” comment was inane, even if it was followed by a backpeddling missive.

Ran.For.Miles, along with the entire genre of grindcore, the majority of non-cookie-cutter radiometal, and plenty of cookie-cutter radiometal, actually. Tool is not really that hard, I don’t think. I mean, they play with distorted guitars and sometimes, MJK raises his voice or even yells, but it’s really not that hard. Maybe we have some different scale of hard, but I think if a band is “hard,” it should be like getting fucked in the ear by a hard cock. Tool is not. Tool is certainly not flaccid, in the skullfucking metaphor, but it’s not all the way erect, either.

Where did you get self-loathing as the definition of angst? It’s a feeling of anxiety and apprehension mixed with depression. As I said: Stoned Monkey, Tenets of Bushido. It’s just never going to work.

I did not say angst was bad. I’m pointing out that teen angst sells records. When you say rap uses a “winning formula.” I’m saying that Linkin Park uses a time-honoured record-selling formula as well. The only point of difference would be a “and nothing more” which is totally subjective and impossible to universalize.

You said nothing about popularity and this being a genre-universal phenomenon that is a flaw in capitalism, not rap, if you have a problem with it. Shitty music exists in all genres, with shitty cookie-cutter music proportional to the popularity of the genre at the time. You fail to make the leap to realizing that this isn’t because rap is bad, it is because rap is popular and a way for people to make fast, easy money. Metal, folk, punk, grunge, mod music/British Invasion sound, and jazz have all had the same thing happen. Just because you weren’t around to experience that does not make those genres better.

Brilliant example citation. Find me a single rap lyric that says “being impoverished is a good thing,” and I will agree I’m wrong. I don’t listen to a lot of rap unless I can be sure it’s going to be good first, due to the cookie-cutter-law of popular music. It’s possible that this is some new “in thing” which has evaded my sight. But I’m pretty sure glorifying getting out of poverty, sometimes through illegal means, is more common, and those are two very different things.
I especially liked the way you used a single possible reasoning flaw, when you appear not to know the definition of a good quarter of the polysyllabic words you are arguing over the application of, as my argument being “over.” It was such an effective rebuttal to all the points below it, as well.
Seriously, your arguing strategy is to say faux-witty remarks about how much fucking better you are than your opponent when you have nothing to back it up and no leg to stand on. You tell me I’m “lying to myself” about Linkin Park being angsty, when you do not know the definition of the word angsty. You have no idea of its meaning beyond that it is a negative emotion. At all. You just make large, unbased arguments and rely on inane, snappy comebacks to make it seem like you have a point.

No.

NOW GHOST RIDE THA WHIP

You have good taste if you weren’t being sarcastic. Highfive friend, highfive.

Okay, I generalized to 50 Cent, only because I don’t listen to rap, and I really don’t know about anyone who does it but him. >_>

:boring:

That’s fucking intense!

Wolverine’s got it in the bag, though. No-matter how many times Maul cuts him in half, Wolverine keeps coming back.

I haven’t read this whole thread word for word, but I’ll add a few cents to a couple of topics that were touched on.

Tupac was much more than a rapper. For starters, Tupac is not a horrible rapper. Odds are that you just don’t know what makes rap good, as you tend to just sit there and say it’s horrible. Tupac does everything right. Next, lets talk about how big of an activist he was. His mother was a black panther; rebellion was in his blood. He raised money and food for the homeless and gave millions to urban developments to house the less fortunate.

Next, Linkin Park is about as fucking horrible as it gets. You’re lambasting the greatest lyricist in Hip Hop and to make it worse you’re swinging at him with a tennis racket called “omgz it’s crawling under my skin!” followed closely by “waah waah they didn’t like me at school” and finally ending with a psuedo-anime detox session. To top it all off, I think you completely misinterpret some of they’re lyrics. I think Chester used to be on drugs, and a lot of the lyrics pertain, I think, to drug addiction. Linkin Park is trash. And sure, here, let me save you the trouble: rap is all ass, tits, cars, money and bling. Wouldn’t want that post count going through the roof.

Next, Tool is not hard. Cannibal Corpse is hard. They make Tool look like little girls picking flowers.

And lastly, I think Darth Maul has this one down pat folks.

So which one’s Arac, and which one’s Hades?

Seconded.

Sorc: That is exactly wanted I am trying to say, only stated much better. Tupac is one of the musicians I respect as much as or more than I enjoy the music of. Lambasting is a fucking great word, too.

Isn’t Hades Canadian, and thus Wolverine by default?

Tupac sucks! You guys need to listen to the Federation, Keak da Sneak, Too Short, E-40, The Team, and Mistah Fab. And if you can handle it, listen to MC Vikram and Ludakrishna, they’re not part of the hyphy movement, but they’re hella pimped out

Thanks Arac.

I’ve listened to all of those people; Tupac had better lyrics, rhyme schemes and flow as well as better colloborations with Snoop Dog, Dre and pretty much the dream team that was Death Row Records in the mid 1990’s.

So no. Tupac doesn’t suck and top it off he’s better than everyone you listed. But at least you’ve got some semblence of taste, Too Short is a great rapper. But I’m from Atlanta and even I think E-40 is horrible. Just a fat guy who seems to be lost.

ninjaedit: lolz math/facebook humor.