Ramadan has begun

That’s what I heard as well but I wasn’t sure about that because there are serious health risks associated with dehydration, particularly in dry and hot areas.

Yep, no water either.

Ramadan is about 28 days, Sin. It’s one lunar month.

THAT is quite funny.

My bad. Wrong religion.

what are the reasons for fasting on Ramadan, Nightblade?

This is assuming that you weren’t eating too much to begin with. I know from experience that stuffing myself for a week straight makes me feel lethargic and clogged, and that drinking a lot and eating little works wonders at fixing it. I can’t say why, other than to provide primitive metaphors of “cleansing” and “flushing out toxins,” so I’ll leave it to the biologist to save the appearances.

It’s basically a month were we concentrate on worship more than our everday lives. We do that by proving our faith to Allah by not eating, drinking, smoking, or sex.

as a baptist, my family and i do somewhat the same thing, but not for more than a week at a time generally, though we end up totalling about a month over the year.

No sex either? Yeesh.

What about married couples?

Those are the only ones allowed to have sex throughout the year, Dave, and they don’t have sex during Ramadan as Blade said.

I’m not sure what the religious significance of Ramadan is, but I’m sure it has some practical non-religious purpose, like circumcision with Judaism.

Well, that’s debatable. 8p Anyway, don’t go looking for non-religious purposes for everything, because there isn’t always one. Especially in Judaism, I can tell you right off the bat. 8p

I’m actually fasting right now, coincidentally (a Jewish fast day happens to be today too). Jews in general are actually very much against abstinence; there are only five fast days a year. We’re usually told to celebrate the gifts God’s given us (like food, water, sex) and dedicate them to God rather than stop them altogether. When we do fast it is, like Muslims, either in penitence or in mourning.

It’s actually quite fascinating how similar Judaism is to Islam, if you look at the actual religious observances.

Didn’t you used to have a sig that said “Jewish holidays can be summed up in ten words: They tried to kill us. We won. Let’s eat.”?

Good point, Cid.

984: Oh yes. :sunglasses: Most of our holidays involve big fat enormous meals. I just had three in two days. If you want to know the real reason we have fast days, it’s so we don’t explode. 8p

Actually, I just read a report where it said that Muslims overall gain weight over Ramadan, because they tend to eat huge feasts at the end of every day. I can commiserate. :sunglasses:

One of the dudes in my Political Awareness club celebrates Ramadan. He invited us all to an Islamic Center for a great big feast-like dinner in a few weeks. How cool! Good luck going with no water, though…wow, I’d drink like five glasses of water at my meal at dawn, sheesh :open_mouth:

O_O!!

that thing about no water just hit me. when we fast we can have water during the day, but we also end up eating a whole lot at the end of the day.

If I couldn’t drink coffee during the day, I’d collapse.

Not drinking water is way worse than not eating. By the end of a 25-hour fast I’m not really hungry, but I’m thirsty as hell. Even during the winter. Especially since you can’t even brush your teeth during that time (everyone’s got stinky breath).