This has been a difficult decision, but it has to be done. I’m ready to tender my resignation as the fanfiction archive maintainer.
In the three years I have held the position, I have proven unable to accomplish a single update in a timely manner. Furthermore, the strain of my current job and class schedule, coupled with my own writing troubles, have further dampened my resolve. Finally, and most importantly, it simply isn’t fun anymore. I would much rather go back to simply being a writer than worry about keeping an archive up to date.
This will no doubt disappoint a lot of people. I made promises to help clean up the archive, and have not delivered on any of them. I have wasted three years of your lives and mine. The PHP project was sunk because of me. The archive has suffered numerous dead links and lost fics because of me. Additions to the archive were never fully added because of StarStorm, but also because I could never find them again. In the end, the time has come, I think, to pack up my bags and move on.
At the same time, another person has to take over. If there are no volunteers, I will continue my duties, and get the update out in August. Here are a list of your responsibilities:
- Maintaining a complete archive of all fanfiction on the website.
- Adding new fics both to the front page AND TO ANY CATEGORIES THEY BELONG TO, AS WELL AS INTO THE AUTHOR INDEX! glares at StarStorm
- Maintain correspondence with authors. They are our clients, and should be treated with respect.
- Proofread any submissions to the archive before accepting them.
- Above all else, succeed where I failed: keep a timely schedule of updates. This is vital to the success of the library.
- Stay on the forums. Encourage new writers while also htmlizing any fics. Make sure to post a “bring me your fics” topic a few weeks before the update.
- And remember, try to have fun. It’s a lot of work, but there is also a lot of enjoyment to be had.
So…that’s it. I’ll make it official once we have someone to keep the girl running. And now, I’ll just sit back and watch the site continue to decay and collapse…