Proxy Woes

Okay, my university dial-in service needs a proxy configured on basically every program that accesses the internet. One of the ones I [strike]need[/strike] want working is mIRC, but I can’t seem to get it to. proxy info is:

slb-webcache.hull.ac.uk

And the one I put in for Internet Explorer (and Firefox):

http://www.config.hull.ac.uk

So which should I use? I also got a password and username which I won’t put here, so where do they go? Kthx.

EDIT: Guh, Mozilla Thunderbord refuses to give me mail either.

EDIT2: And Bittorrent also! I guess this is gonna happen with DC++ and every other program I have as well. Shit.

I’m pretty sure you need a port number for the proxy.

I do have one. 3128. I probably shoulda put it in my first post. >_>

mIRC its under Connect -->Firewall ->Protocol, Proxy. I think. I’m no good with this kinda stuff.

Don’t know whether this matters, but when I try to connect to the chat javaclient on the site I get a ‘*** Ident server running on port 113’ message.

…Man, I HAVE to get DC++ working. I have 300kps speeds now. ;_;

Many universities block IRC programs for one reason or another. Mine does that too. So, Nulani offered me a remedy last year. Ask her in a PM or something if you could use Putty and BitchX like I do.

Done and done. Man this sucks. I have awesome speeds and I can’t get anything working. ;_;

I had that problem last semester also, 984 gave me a bunch of alternate servers and edtehserver worked. Make sure you try out all the different ones available.

Oh right. It was edtheserver.yi.org with port 64646, I believe.

But is that a proxy server, to be put in that section? 'Cause it doesn’t work in the Connect > Servers window. :\

Um… Did you try putting the proxy and port you already know into where I told you the proxy settings are?

Still nothing. I keep getting

• Unable to connect to server (Connection attempt timed out)

messages.