Plasma TVs

Ok so essentially, my University keeps pumping thousands of thousands of dollars into my pockets. I don’t fucking know what to do with it anymore. Zero suggested I buy a 42" plasma TV. That doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

I need to know all there is to know about Plasma TVs and the LCD TVs and HDTV. Go.

HDTVs are nice if you watch sports. That’s about it. The regular shows which are in HD just show how ugly the actors actually are, plus you have to spend more money per month for HD service.

I don’t watch TV. I have a couple shows I watch on DVDs and movies, also DVDs. And I will play games.

Well, the newer systems have HD components (at least 360 and PS3 do). I’ve found, though, that older systems get thrown off a bit given the changed dimensions. It fucks with your coordination a bit, and that really messes you up in certain games like Halo or whatever.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073838096&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hdtv&start=0

Searching on large forums is usually the best course of action for these kinds of questions. I’d go into a whole technical spiel but really I have a 15" CRT I have no room to talk.

Oh do allow me to point out that Plasma TVs are fucking awesome but their quality turns to shit after 5-6 years or so. Just so you know that it won’t always look fan-fucking-tastic.

Buy another computer?

42"? Pah! Go for the Panasonic 58"!

I’m aiming for 1700$ and under >_>. Like this. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-42-Plasma-HDTV-42PC3D/sem/rpsm/oid/146415/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

For the TV. I’m considering a couch and a home theatre while I’m at it.

I still wonder though, is this a waste of my money?! (the tv that is)

You could send some to me. :slight_smile:

Yesssss… my influence runs deep…

I’ve been considering a couch for a while. You just reminded me :P.

You poor bastard. Having more money than you know what to do with? Those bastards, giving you more money than you know what to do with. How dare they! As big of a problem as this is, a plasma/HDTV is not the way to go. What you need to do is go to your bank, and setup and automatic transfer of unused funds into my check account. That is right, I’m willing to take the hit and figure out ways to use too much money. It is a sacrafice I know, but I’m willing to do it for you. Let me carry the burden for you so that you can concentrate on your studies instead of trivial matters like figuring out how to spend a bunch of money.

Holy shit, man! Make a savings account or something. Buy a rocket ship when they start selling them. I’ll give it …fifteen years or so, before they hit the market.

I honestly think that right now Plasma TVs are a waste, due to their low life expectancy. Personally I’d go for a nice LSD instead, since most of the manufacturing bullshit with them has been solved, they live a lot longer, and dead pixels no longer are really an issue.

If you have thousands of dollars sitting around, start a stock portfolio. Don’t blow it on a TV you don’t really want, or just let it sit in a savings account that might barely meet the inflation rate. If you invest your money wisely you won’t have to worry too much about retirement, or sending your kids to college.

Yeah it sounds really lame, but 20 years from now that plasma screen is going to be in a New Jersey landfill.

LCD. You’ve lived in Holland too long.

Someone explain what makes plasma TVs not live very long / the problem with pixels. I don’t quite understand the concept of plasma TVs and why LCD is better or inferior to it.

And yeah investment is another idea.

I hate your guts out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, though, if I had that kinda money to spend I’d go for a plasma TV too. A couch also sounds nice. Wish I could tell you more, but I haven’t really browsed Plasma TV specifics because I don’t have the fucking money to get one. :stuck_out_tongue:

You would.

I second the investment bit. You know that old saying:

“When a man with money, yet without experience, meets a man with experience, yet without money, the latter will get some money and the first one some experience”.

1. I wish I had that fucking problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

2. My practical side says “invest.”

3. My not-so-practical side says buy a big screen TV and all the games/DVDs/whatever you can afford.

Either way, you can’t really lose.