Outrage in China over 'body-processing' factory

Originally posted by StarStorm
If we didn’t do things because they’re not “socially acceptable” or “beautiful”, civilization would be very slow to advance.

Ah, but on the opposite side of the same coin, if there hadn’t been people who did things because it wasn’t socially acceptable or commonly reffered too as beautiful, then I don’t think a lot of our artistic ideals would have advanced as far as they have.

I don’t think its too much different from having a real human skeleton in a high school science room.

Originally posted by Steve
I doubt there’s much of a smell. If there was, there would also be diseases which means unsanitary conditions, etcetera. It wouldn’t be there.
Probably uses formaldahyde and other things to keep it from getting bad.

Actually it is a technique he created in the 70’s called plastination.

http://www.plastination.com/en/pages/plastination.asp

Oh and everyone gives thier consent =)

Here is the form heh

http://www.plastination.com/Downloads/EN_verfueg.pdf

I’ve seen this art before on the Discovery Channel and I thought it was pretty sweet. There are some really cool ones with the flayed bodies riding flayed horses and stuff.

After seeing that I can’t eat chicken.

O_o
twitch
::dekar!::

They’ve run out of new things to do for conventional art, so modern artists are stuck doing stuff like this. The real modern art’ll be things done with computers.

That’s fairly disgusting. I’m not sure if I would even consider that to be art.

All these bad reactions were already seen a few centuries back by the renaissance.

Also, this is not for the sake of art nor alternative art made by the lack of talent or material. He does that for those who like seen the human body how it is under the skin. It’s good for those who have to study anatomy too. His corpses can be put in just any position, opened in a miriad of ways and are all in good state and free of any smell. You just don’t get such a thing in a school of medicine or a morgue.

Originally posted by StarStorm
If we didn’t do things because they’re not “socially acceptable” or “beautiful”, civilization would be very slow to advance.

That isn’t an excuse. I agree that in some cases it’s indispensable, but that doesn’t mean we should close our eyes and let people get through with everything saying this.

And I don’t care if the people agreed with that before they died, and neither if they call it art because I don’t. There’s so much crap considered modern art today; I could throw a few coca cola cans together, mix them with old socks and throw them into my messy room on a pile in the middle of it. Thank you, I call my creation “Column of our society in the universe of chaos”.

I find this just disgusting and I ask myself whatever happened to the respect of the dead and the “Rest in PEACE.”

Granted Sorc, DT. My point lies less within the arts and more within the sciences.

But my point remains. Of course, ti all lies with opinion. Some people simply don’t see art as others do. We’re not homogenous aftera ll. I’m not saying I support it, I really don;t care for it. But that’s life.

I figure if they don’t mind thier bodies being used as such, it’s not AS bad. Kinda on the principles of giving ones body to science. But meh, again, I come from a more scientific view.