Optional Bosses

Except Hades was not only also optional, he was almost impossible to find if you didn’t know where he was.

Ozma is going to the other extreme. I don’t like absolute certainty when I fight, but I don’t like complete randomness either. Using Omega as an example again, that fight had a degree of randomness but your ability to respond to whatever it throws at you did count towards the outcome. With Ozma, you could get characters equipped with the absolute ideal abilities and gear, resistance and whatnot, but you could still get your ass whopped by Meteor in the first round before even inputting any commands (This actually happened to me).

Ozma’s fight normally ends in five or six rounds no matter who wins. The only possible strategy there is to hit hard and fast and pray that you’ll kill it before it kills you. I beat it at level 75ish, with Zidane, Eiko, Garnet and Freya before even going to Terra. Yes, I was already level 75 before going to Terra, I just spent a lot of time fighting dragons.

Ozma is the only boss in an FF game I’ve played (except for FFX’s monster arena, which is ridiculous) which I have yet to beat.

I tried fighting Omega weapon but in my game Squall was at level 32 and everyone else was between 17 and 24, so I lost. D:

Like I said, six rounds of pure randomness. You still need to get all the right stuff and powering the right skills, but it’s really 99.9% luck.

How the HELL do you get to that point in the game with those levels?

Seraphim, in my game Squall is level 7 on Disc 3. The tricks are

1. Run away
    if you can’t run…
  2. Use Card
    if the enemy can’t be carded…
  3. Cast Break
    if that still doesn’t work…
  4. Use Tonberry’s “LV Down” to make the enemy level one so it gives minimal exp.

That’s how you get that far in the game at a low level. Bosses are no challenge since they’ll all be level 10, so one Renzokuken or Duel will kill most of them.

(Edit, that is, Squall is the lowest at level 7. Irvine is the highest at level 13. Everyone else is at their initial levels as well.)

(Also edit: In spite of your levels, it seems Omega Weapon is always level 100. So being a low level does have a downside.)

Didn’t know you could do that… does seem like way too much trouble with little upside though.

I beat Ultima Weapon, but it was more to do with overleveling to the point it was an abomination to anything that was ever meant to be. My cousin and I just handed off the controller every couple hours and kept leveling, because we were gonna beat it, no invulnerability items.

I got that far with those levels because I was playing it for my brother and I didn’t save any items in battles or level at all because I was like “I don’t care, it’s not MY game.” Hohoho!

Another hard boss was Dario! I was fighting him for like an hour before I actually won.

hmmm… that makes me want to go out and buy FF 8 all over again, by the way, did anyone think that the optional bosses in the bonus dungeons of FF DoS were trouble? I only found Death Gaze, Shinryu, and Omega were really a pain in the arse.

I beat Ozma.

I used Quina’s Magic Hammer to drain all his MP. All of Ozma’s attacks are magic based, so once all the MP is gone, you can take your time beating the crap out of him.

And on a side note, he looked stupid. Come on Square, you can come up with a better looking boss than a sphere.

Except he has an attack that drains all the MP out of one character whenever he’s running low. You were just incredibly lucky enough that he didn’t use it.

No, he did that a couple times. Just keep using Magic Hammer.

If he uses a turn to drain your MP, thats one turn he can’t attack.

I didn’t think Ozma was that hard. I set up my preparations so that Zidane and Steiner both went into Trance at the beginning of the fight, and had Freya jump repeatedly. As for Dario, our Chrono Cross shrine gives an incredible strategy for beating him without taking any damage at all.

Me neither, I always had getting the Laguna card as my #1 priority so I could refine it into 99 Heroes, which I then used for Omega Weapon and Ultimecia’s final form so the constant killing wouldn’t affect me.

I like optional, hard bosses in RPGs. Gives me something to work to even when I beat the game normally (IE beat the final boss). Though I know plenty of people with, let’s say, Final Fantasy 7, that can’t even beat Sephiroth in the end. I know I had trouble with that the first time. :stuck_out_tongue:

And Ozma was pathetic, just a matter of having the right abilities set…

Everything about or in FFIX was pathetic, if you ask me.
I just like to pretend it didn’t happen, most days.

Anyway, I’m enough of an over-leveling fuckjob that optionals are never much trouble for me.