OK, I feel like an idiot for asking this...

Congratulations, you’re a smartass.

lol hades knocked out on a technicality GG cul8r

I think I agree with Hades about party composition.

You know, I’m enjoying the game well enough, but I can’t help thinking how cool this game would look if it were remade now. Everybody talks about a FF7 remake for the PS3, but I would actually prefer a FF6 for even the DS. Things I would change:

-The story would remain the same. Well, maybe some parts could be shortened, the game sometimes feels like it meanders (Sabin’s quest, after the first Ultros battle, felt a LOT longer than the other characters’, for example.) And maybe I would make it so certain optional characters (like Umaro) would have to be taken into the party at least once. Otherwise, no changes. Oh, and I would make it 100% clear that Relm is Shadow’s daughter (though you would still need the dream sequences to find out.)

• Game system: As you might expect, I’d make Sabin’s blitzes easier to use. Maybe by having a pop-up screen with the instructions for each blitz, or something. From the comments above it seems there are some balance issues with the other characters, as well. The Magicite system probably needs updating as well (the Ragnarok spell sucks.)

• The graphics would be completely revamped. Even if only to 2d level, it would still be an improvement, if it gave us better-looking sprites. Though I would keep the character’s original designs.

-The music STAYS THE SAME. :wink:

How about you, you have your own take on a revamped FF6?

Who said anything about Magic? With the aforementioned Dragon Boots/Horn + Spear setup and a good amount of Strength, he does 2-4 attacks per jump and easily does 4000+ damage per attack.

I don’t save the Phoenix Cave for last because it’s hard. I save it for last because it’s annoying. I hate having t switch between characters like that, it’s annoying, time consuming, and pointless. Besides, even if you don’t save Phoenix Cave for last? The very last dungeon of the game is exactly what the new optional dungeon does. Doing it twice in a row is annoying for me.

…Though in a somewhat ironic twist, I always said it would be an awesome optinal dungeon if instead of Phoenix Cave/Kefka’s Tower setup, it had something of a Narhse Battle instead.

The only thing I can agree with you on is the music. As for the other points.

I’ve always loved Sabin’s quest compared with the other two since it’s the only one that has you covering new ground. In fact I’d rather see them overhaul at least Terra’s quest since the most exciting part of the trip was the security station bit.

As for forcing Umaro use, doing that would defeat the purpose of having him as an Optional Character.

And why do so many people have to have the Relm/Shadow thing spelled out moreso than it already has. Seriously, who here wants to hear Shadow say “There is something that Strago never told you about your father. Relm replies with something about Shadow killing her father No Relm! I am your father!”?

As for Sabin’s blitzes the only thing I can think of is just letting players know how to do them before the Vargas fight. And the magicite isn’t really necessary since it’s easy enough to godmod your characters anyway.

And the graphics are fine enough as is already IMHO.

I agree pretty much with Killmore. Making you use an optional character defeats the purpose entirely, especially since the two in this game are meant to be totally optional, and mysterious in Gogo’s case.

I also agree on keeping Relm and Shadow’s connection unconfirmed. Is it heavily implied? Yes. But is it 100% certain? No. And I like keeping it that way.

When I read about making Relm and Shadow’s connection clearer, the only thing I could think of was Chrono Trigger DS “explaining” what happened to Schala. I loved the mystery, the unexplained nature of it. Instead, we get the answer given to us - a retarded answer that feels forced and contrived only so they can keep the “canon” of Chrono Cross going. American Culture has this thing about needing to know everything about a story and how it ends. We hate using our imaginations.

There is one gameplay issue I would change, though - Cyan. A lot of people say he sucks, but you know what? I might use him more if, instead of having to wait like you do for his Sword techniques, you just inputted what Swordtech you want to use, and he stays inactive until it charges up. meanwhile, you can still control the rest of the party, instead of keeping EVERYONE on hold to charge up his gauge.

VE: Yes, yes, yes about Cyan. That would make him a much more usable character.

As for “you’re a pussy” comment, that was more directed at Hades. It seemed he genuinely had difficulty with it. I go to the Phoenix Cave pretty much as soon as I have eight characters. I really like Locke. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hades: You leave Relm and Gau? Dude, I can understand Gau, because he’s only powerful if you enjoy boring treks through the Veldt, but Relm is a much better character than Strago. They both have useless special abilities, but (let’s face it) most of the special abilities (besides Blitz, Runic, and Tool in the beginning of the game) are completely useless, anyway. The two I leave are always Strago and Cyan, though. I prefer Gau’s random bullshit to Cyan’s wait fifty million years to do a good attack.

Strago has Grand Train, Big Guard, Step Mine, and a weapon called the Heal Rod that fully heals one character if you attack them. Relm doesn’t have any unique spells, any useful weapons, or a useful character skill. And once again, if you’re far enough in the game for Big Guard and Grand Train to be useless, Relm can’t do anything with magic that your other characters can’t do faster and for free with swords. Strago’s got her beat pretty hard.

Cyan only sucks if you let him. His most useful SwdTech is Dispatch, which you don’t need to charge. But if you use him right, you won’t need it. He’s as good a fighter as Sabin, and with a few esper bonuses he can do 80k without Atma or Illumina, if that’s the path you want to take.

I use Blitz, Tools, Throw, SwdTech, Morph, and Lore for almost the entire game, because most of them are free and they’re just plain stronger than any magic you have at the time. If you get Bum Rush as soon as it’s available, it’ll be doing 5000 damage when your best spells are stuck at around 1500. I’ve killed bosses in one hit with Chainsaw, and Shuriken cost like 30gp each. Character skills are disgustingly powerful, and if you say none of them are useful past the early stages of the game, it’s probably because you never really tried.

Locke has the one ability in the game I never, ever use, even once. I avoid wasting a character slot for him whenever I can. I’ll take him over Relm or Gau though… He can at least use the Valiant Knives.

I forgot about Throw. Throw is useful in the World of Balance. If you’re throwing Shurikens in WoR though, there’s something wrong with you.

Shurikens will one-hit almost anything before Kefka’s tower. Believe it or not, as Shadow’s level goes up, shurikens don’t stay at 300 damage like on Sabin’s path. Stop bashing things you haven’t tried. Magic is good, but personally, if you start learning spells expecting them to replace character skills, I think you’re the one that’s messed up.

Wow, do we have differences of opinions here (but, that’s the whole point of discussions, no? Different strokes and all that. :wink: ) I’m not against having secrets for the players to find… but once you go through the trouble of gaining them, they should be clear. After all, they’ll only likely ever be addressed in the one game (the Schala thing was in another whole level.) I always wondered what the whole point of Shadow’s dreams was, in fact I thought I’d missed one of them. I didn’t find the whole Shadow/Relm connection until later. So no, if they put that in a remake, they’d damn better confirm it.

Despite my problems with Sabin -and wondering what the hell was the point of having spells that hurt your enemies AND your party- in general I enjoyed all the character’s special abilities, because they were very varied. In fact, I actually liked to split up my party in groups, because that meant I got to use all the characters in the same mission! As I said, different strokes. :stuck_out_tongue:

And sorry, but despite the munchkin sprites being kinda cute, I just never liked most of the graphics in this game. The lands look flat, the monsters look crude, the battles look static, and I really want to see the dramatic sequences (like the Opera House) in full animation.

But the music certainly rocks. About the only thing I might add would be a bonus Music Access feature so we could replay any theme when we wanted. :smiley:

If anything about FF6 left me disappointed, it was battles during the “endgame” period, starting around level 45. Sure, some skills were still useful, but you didn’t need them because <i>everyone</i> could use a Gem Box & Economizer and cast Ultima-Quick-Ultima x 4 for 50k. It destroys the sense of character individuality that battles throughout the game developed.

FF6 battles would be far more enjoyable if characters had different (and lower) stat caps, there was no damage cap, enemies had much more hp, and only Terra, Celes, Strago, Relm and Gogo could learn Magic.

Just for the hell of it, I wish to discuss my idea of the best ending to an optional FFVI dungeon: A Narshe Battle, jsut like the ones you had with the Moogles, and to protect Narshe from Kefka. But with a few differences:

1: The layout of the map is not one of “you’re on one side, the enemy’s on the other.” Rather, you’re at the center of a maze, and monsters come towards you. Sort of like a “cornered” situation. Also, in the other battles, there were bottlenecks where you could leave your characters, and no enemy could get past you so long as you stayed alive. None of that here. I want there to be like, six paths to the center, so you need to keep your guys moving.

Second: the enemies would be boss fights. Like, superpowered versions of all the bosses you fought throughout the game. Adds a little extra challenge.

Third, and most important? No magic. None whatsoever. I’ll make an exception for Terra, since her Morph is useless otherwise, and Strago keeps his Lore, but that’s it. Everything else is just attack, Unique, and items. So now, you need to fight really well, and also make sure you used some of your characters at least a little to get them stronger. If Strago doesn;t have any Lore, if Gau’s got no rages? THen it becomes a lot harder to win.

This is my idea of a real fun challenge.

HADES: We’re never going to agree with each other, because we’re both always right.

VE: I’d like it if you disallowed Terra’s magic, too. Also, you should probably allow randomly cast spells from stuff like the pearl rod, so people like Strago and Relm would still be able to (randomly) kick walrus hats.

I have no problem disallowing Terra’s magic, to be honest. I jsut always kept that because of an arguement me and a friend had, where he thought what I came up with was “too unfait.” Though I don’t know how keeping people from spamming ultima and life 3 and other such things counts as unfair. And yes, items still have their effects. it’s just learned magic that doesn’t work anymore.

The best solution I could think of for the characters was to make it so that everyone could only learn a smaller list of spells from Espers rather than just all of them. And that list should be geared specifically towards each character (kinda like what Terra and Celes had going on before acquiring Magicite except with everybody instead).

Killmore: What would Cyan learn? A spell that kills him instantly and heals all enemies?

I’d use that in every fight, just as I was about to win.