Official FFC Submission FAQ

I’ve been working on a FFCompendium Submission FAQ, and I thought it would be a good idea to run it by you guys first to see if I made it clear enough. Hopefully this will help direct emails to the correct staffers, and increase the speed in which we can deal with them.

FFCompendium Contribution FAQ V1.0

Q: What exactly do you mean by site contributions?

A: Unlike most other gaming sites, the FFCompendium gains a great deal of input from it’s visitors. Anyone who has something new to add to ANY of the sections of the site can do so, simply by sending an email to the proper staffer.

Q: I have some information to add to the FFCompendium. Who should I send it to?

A: This can be confusing at first, but I’ll try to simplify it as much as possible.

Most corrections and additions to site sections should go to PanamaJack (maintenance@ffcompendium.com), as well as any Fanart you want to submit. PanamaJack also handles any queries to do with broken links and corrupted files.

RoguePaladinTrian (nameorigins@ffcompendium.com) is in charge of the Name Origins section of the site, so any contributions regarding that should be sent to him.

Wilfredo Martinez (newcontent@ffcompendium.com) takes care of adding new content to the website. If you have any information about games we have not yet added to the Compendium, send it to Wilfredo.

Any fanfictions should be sent to Weiila (weiila@rpgclassics.com), and she’ll take care of them fairly quickly.

Cid (webmaster@ffcompendium.com) is the founder and overseer of the Compendium, and covers any major additions to the site.

Q: What kind of things are you looking for?

A: Anything at all, as long as it is relevant to Final Fantasy and we don’t already have it. General information, images, music and Flash files are some good examples. We do not, however, accept any emulators or roms.

Cid has a bit of a “wishlist” of things the site could use. If you are able to contribute any of these things, send them to webmaster@ffcompendium.com

* [b]Financial Help[/b], no matter how small (a few dollars) is always appreciated. All you need is a credit card or chequing account.

* [b]Image Capture:[/b] Do you have FF8 on your PC and a bit of spare time? How about FF9 and an emulator, or any post-SNES FF game and a TV capture card? Or the FF: TSW DVD and a DVD drive? There are a lot of pictures missing, and you can easily capture them from your own PC. All you need is a bit of spare time. Let me know! You can even download my DexDrive saves for FF8 and FF9 to help you along - no annoying leveling up, since I save every two hours on a different slot.

* [b]Flash Intro:[/b] I'd like someone who knows Flash to make a Flash version of my crappy animated title pic on the main page. Shouldn't be all that tough.

* [b]Donations[/b] - if you know of a picture or MIDI file which is not featured on this site, please either send it to me or send me the URL of the picture/MIDI. Please note that usually I don't take doubles; that is, I'm not going to put up ten screenshots of Squall. 8-) Other than that, please help the completeness of the site!

* [b]Fan Art/Fanfics:[/b] We've gotten these sections up and running and we need submissions! Tell all your friends! Fanfics can be sent to Weiila, and fan art can be sent to PanamaJack. Please read the guidelines in the respective sections before sending stuff to me.

* [b]Title Pics:[/b] Quite a few of the title pics shown in the high-res site are fairly lacklustre. If you can donate some better ones, please do!

* [b]Ideas[/b] - we need these! What do you think needs to be changed or added? Believe it or not, I usually act on suggestions like this eventually. I'd also appreciate ideas for Name Origins, Famous Moments and Links.

* Comments, questions, and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Q: I sent something in, but it was REJECTED! Why is that?

A: This is probably because your submission was either already covered or was too vague or irrelevant. I’ll cover some major things we DON’T look for in a submission.

-We do not take anything that is too obscure. For example, just because someone in FF9 “sorta looks like Banon from FF6” doesn’t mean that its an in-series crossover.

-This goes for things that are too obvious as well. Its not necessary to note that Square generally releases 3 Final Fantasy games for a console before moving on, or that most games feature a moody, antisocial protagonist with a huge sword.

-We will not accept emails that are incoherent or impossible to decipher. Please make sure your emails are readable.

-We will also not use pictures that are low quality. Please don’t send any images that are barely recognizable.

Q: How long does it usually take for my contribution to make in on the site?

A: Updates can be very sporadic, due to the fact that we receive contributions a very irregular pace. Usually General Information and Name Origins will be updated at a monthly pace. New content takes a bit longer, especially now that they have 3 new Final Fantasy games to cover. Be patient, as you’ll likely see your contribution posted fairly quickly.

Q: Why isn’t there any information on Kingdom Hearts/Ehrgeiz/etc on your site?

A: The Compendium only covers the “real” Final Fantasy Games. This does not include the Game Boy FFs, since they’re actually parts of other series (see Release Info). We also do not cover any other Squaresoft game, including the Chrono series, Xenogears, or anything else. Games that have Final Fantasy crossovers are mentioned in External Crossovers, but do not have their own sections; this includes Ehrgeiz, the Chocobo games, and Kingdom Hearts.

Q: Why don’t you have any information on Final Fantasy 11, or Advent Children?

A: The FFCompendium is more of a retrospective site, and only covers Final Fantasy titles that have been completed and translated. We try to put up content as quickly as possible once we can grab a hold of the game/movie/TV series/etc…

Q: Anything else I should know?

A: Yes, just a couple of things:

-We currently do not have any Emulators or Roms up for download, and we never will.

-Don’t assume that the staffers know EVERYTHING about Final Fantasy. Please be very specific when submitting information, and reference what games you’re talking about.

-Please be considerate. The staffers put a LOT of work into the site, and really don’t need insulting emails.

Nice. :sunglasses: Here’s my two cents:

-We actually DO have a section just on Kingdom Hearts; it’s just buried in the Ex-Crossovers page.

-I think you should lose the last one. I get insulting e-mails VERY rarely, and seeing that line just might dare people into doing it more often. ^^; You can just ignore any insulting e-mails you do get.

-You might want to put a couple of extra notes regarding Name Origins (I already have those up there somewhere… basically just telling people to check that their point isn’t already there and that it isn’t too obvious or too obscure, that they should try to provide concrete evidence/backing to their contributions, etc.)

Something ive been meaning to post in conjuction with this…

(also ure letter sounds fine)

hope this all helps

All of this is out of the External Crossovers part of the FF Compendium. The original text from the site is italicized and my corrections are below each paragraph.

The entire series has had snippets of references to Star Wars, including the names of Biggs and Wedge (from Luke’s Red Wing squadron in the first Star Wars movie), the name of Baron’s airship force in FF4 (the Red Wings), a scene from FF6 where Locke rescues Celes from South Figaro

Here its just Red Squadron, no Wing. Also, but not a correction, I thought you might want to say how the FF6 thing relates to Star Wars. Its when Luke rescues Leia from the first Death Star.

A bunch more Star Wars stuff sent in by Snesman: First off, Nanaki (Red XIII’s real name) is an anagram of Anakin (Skywalker), and Red 13 itself is probably a dig at Luke Skywalker’s Red squadron from the first Star Wars (Luke was Red Five). And besides for the aforementioned Piet from FF8 for Admiral Piette, there’s also a Captain named Nida in The Empire Strikes Back. In addition, Martine in the same game was called Dodonna in Japan; a general of the same name headed the Rebel Alliance in the attack on the Death Star.

Piette is misspelled, its Piett, no final ‘e’, and its also Captain Needa, not Nida.

Shigmiya64 has a wonderfully convoluted reference which probably isn’t a reference (I think it’s too obscure), but which I just have to include. 8p “In the Star Wars expanded universe, there is a planet known as Onderon. Onderon is unique because its largest moon, Dxun, orbits so close to the planet at times that their atmospheres mix together and create a tunnel of air between the two. Dxun is filled with many vicious beasts, which take advantage of the tunnel of air to migrate down to the planet and terrorize the natives. It all bears too much resemblance to the “Lunar Cry” in FF8, where monsters all flood down to the planet, to be a coincidence. In addition, the tomb of the great dark Jedi Freedon Nadd is located on Dxun. This is similar to the fact that the Sorceress Adel’s tomb orbits the planet in FF8. Cool, huh?”

This isn’t a correction on my part, but I have never heard of this planet or these things happening, BUT I did some research and found that this is a true thing in the Star Wars universe. I didn’t delve too much, but go to starwars.com/eu for the expanded universe and you can research this to the fullest. From what I saw though, all that is true.

Alrighty Cid, I’ll edit the FAQ and probably put it up sometime soon.

Thanks for the info Luke, but in the future please send contributions through email. It is really hard for me to keep track of stuff in the forums

Originally posted by PanamaJack
[b]
Q: What kind of things are you looking for?

* [b]Image Capture:[/b] Do you have FF8 on your PC and a bit of spare time? How about FF9 and an emulator, or any post-SNES FF game and a TV capture card? Or the FF: TSW DVD and a DVD drive? There are a lot of pictures missing, and you can easily capture them from your own PC. All you need is a bit of spare time. Let me know! You can even download my DexDrive saves for FF8 and FF9 to help you along - no annoying leveling up, since I save every two hours on a different slot.

[/b]

I’ve got FF8 on my PC, so what exactly can I help you with Cid?

Guh… one of these days I’m going to compile a list. Basically, just take a look at the pics for characters, species, transportation, Game Evolution etc., and if I’m missing a pic (or have a bad one), I want one. 8p

Originally posted by PanamaJack
Thanks for the info Luke, but in the future please send contributions through email. It is really hard for me to keep track of stuff in the forums

Sorry.

I meant to send it via email, but since you had this thread up, it seemed better.