Num Lock

I want the Num Lock to be on when my Windows XP starts up. But it wont.

When the computer starts up, first, the all three Lock lights are dark. Then Num turns green. After its done showing the Windows XP screen, all three lights suddenly turn on, then turn off. They stay off.

I went in the BIOS and made sure Num Lock was set to ON. It didnt affect anything

A guide told me to go to the BIOS settings and set InitialKeyboard to 2. I did that. It didnt affect anything

What do I do?

Press “Num Lock” every time you turn your computer on?

Sorry to sound smart-assed…

Question,
What the hell is Num Lock anyway?

Wow. Even my grandparents know what numlock does.

Numlock, when on, returns number values for keys pressed on the keypad. Otherwise, they’ll act as arrows, Home, PgUp, PgDn, End, Ins, and Del.

Originally posted by Xelopheris
Wow. Even my grandparents know what numlock does.

Great, thanks for making me feel stupid, Xelo.
:too bad;

You aren’t stupid, it’s just that Xelo’s grandparents are just as nerdy as he is. :ah-ha!:
heh, it probably runs in the family.

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
You aren’t stupid, it’s just that Xelo’s grandparents are just as nerdy as he is. :ah-ha!:

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I dislike Numlock with a passion p:unch:: I wish they would make the keypad just an 8-directional key, instead of stuff already easily located in other areas stares down num lock

Press it when you boot up. I know what you want is possible (it’s auto-on for me) but it’d probably mean messing around with some wacked-out crazy shit.

Num lock is always on for me. But I have no idea how to do what you’re asking (except for Kagato’s method).

How familiar are you with the registry?

Start > Run > Type in Regedit

Go to:
HKEY_Current_User\ControlPanel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

If that key is set to 0, Num lock will be off at startup. If it is set to 2, it will retain settings at shutdown

Strange.
Windows XP isn’t supposed to override the settings in the BIOS. Do what Jakanden said, but be careful: Making changes directly in the registry isn’t without it’s dangers.

Originally posted by Jakanden
[b]How familiar are you with the registry?

Start > Run > Type in Regedit

Go to:
HKEY_Current_User\ControlPanel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

If that key is set to 0, Num lock will be off at startup. If it is set to 2, it will retain settings at shutdown [/b]

That’s exactly what I did. It did not affect anything.

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
heh, it probably runs in the family.

That was excellent:ah-ha!:

Originally posted by Mew64
That’s exactly what I did. It did not affect anything.

Hmm try setting it to a 1.

2 is to change it when a user profile loads, 1 is to change it before the profile loads.

Also do you have multiple profiles setup? Try logging into a different profile and see what happens.

I didnt do anything or any settings. But for some reason, its working how i want it now.

When it starts up it turns greeen. It turns off them turns back on again.

I dunno. I like the numpad. It’s can be usfull when you wanna write a long string of numbers in a row.