Network problems.

Okay, I really need some help because it’s been a few days that I’ve been fucking around and have no bloody clue what’s happening. I’ll start by telling what happened and my situation.

Okay. We have three computers at home, all plugged to a Netgear router, which is then plugged to the ADSL modem which gives off internet. It worked fine…until i decided that my computer needed a reformat and I did that.

Now, it dosen’t even want to connect to internet anymore. The connections, physicaly, at the same. I reinstalled the drivers for my network cards. I tried plugging and unplugging everything that I could think off about the modem and the router…nothing worked.

Until, suddenly, after I left the whole thing alone for a few hours, it worked again. But strangely, my computer started randomly rebooting when I was on the net. Two days later, after some messing around and checking the fans’ holes for dusts and moving the computer, sliding it, internet refuses to work again.

I’m at a loss of what’s going on. The two other computer works perfectly fine on Internet. Nothing changed. Any ideas? 'Cause I’m all out.

I’ve gone/am going thru similar problems too. Actually, I also suffered from forced reboots while surfing the web, but they occured months prior to my loss of Internet last month (also, the fact that I was surfing some rather dubious regions of the net doesn’t help things either).

My first question is if you can still use the computer for things other than surfing?

If you can, then my suggestion is to check your C/:drive’s memory useage. If your computer is using far more memory than it should then it might be the same problem that I’m having with my computer. If that’s the case then I suggest running/installing a virus scanner like Avencast or ADV and you’ll probaly find a trojian with at least the second scanner when you try to log on again with that machine.

Unfortuately, this is as far as I’ve gotten. I’ve tried system restoring to a date prior to even the first download but that failed. And even though I’ve found and removed the virus I think it was hiding massive benign files in some nether region of my hard drive making them difficult to impossible to find.

Currently, however, my plan is to backup all recognizable files of value then wipe the C: drive followed by installing XP Pro OS instead of standard XP (if for no other reason than to upgrade the OS), and see what happens (unless someone has a better idea).

Again I’m not sure if your problem is the same as mine, but I hope this helps.