Need a little advice over here.

Well, i’d like to start drawing, and i’ve purchased some How To Draw Manga type books, but it’s just not working out. Do you think perhaps I took the wrong path on trying to learn to draw people first and should try inanimate objects first, or should I just keep trying?

This may sound stupid but general form is good for a start, saves your nerves a million times. It doesn’t really matter if you pick people or inanimate objects, since you’ll end up drawing both in the long picture, so whichever you pick will just be given a head start.

In my case, when I began my ‘serious learning period’, I started with imitating some of my favourite green half-shelled heroes, and then moved on to people, thanks to the miracles of the japanese way of expression. It was something weird since, well, these green dudes with bandannas had like, highlighted muscles and ‘joints’, making all my kid-age drawings seem like anorexic scare-crow versions. I used some body building magazines for help, and what do you know, abs and pecs all that with some fantasy stuff build over them really gives a new and shiny look to your old childhood hero.

Japanese style over-simplifies some rules, for example, A LOT OF detail added to the face area, instead of all-round. That’s why my general clothing design sucks, since I started with faces only, when I should’ve done a bit of everything. I’ll get back to this.

drawing is one of those things that is seriously influenced by how you look at things. A big thing they teach in art classes is to try to look at the situation as shades of light and not as actual objects. It gives you a lot better understanding for the edges of objects. The next thing is proportion proportion proportion. You have to get used to knowing what constitutes a realistic size body part compared to the rest of the body. It is a really hard thing to do, but once you train your eye to look for things like that drawing something that looks realistic is easier. This includes some semi-realistic things like manga/anime.

Interesting theories abound! I’ve been spending a lot of time on eyes, lots of detail and such. The eyes are my favorite part of the body for some reason, i’m obsessed with them. I just have a hard time getting sizes and such right, as well as hair. God I hate hair!

I’d say to start with inanimate objects first.Their a bit easier and rather than drawing from the top of your mind, try to get influences.Like free-hand copying so you could get used to drawing.This is a step by step process and it take alot of patience and free time.But eventually it turns out to be pretty cool.I also dig drawing eyes.I find that to be everyones greatest attribute :slight_smile:

As Izulde pointed out in the other thread, “Drawing manga” books are not really the best way to go. I’d work on proportions, basic “dummy” figures, perspective, shading, lighting, those kinds of things before actually reproducing a full-flesh figure from one of those books.

Yep yep yep- and heres a good series of books to get you started:

http://www.saveloomis.org/

The books are discontinuted, but Andrew Loomis’ work remains outstanding. I recommend “Figure Drawing for all it’s worth”. The rest are great as well.

I started out with the Anime style. Fan Art basicly. Studing other works of art I was able to determine my own style and go from there. It took me years to even get “pretty good”.

I think there are a few styles you might consider going for before the real advanced stuff. One of them being, well… Anime. Anime is good for propertions (at least that’s what I think) besides that it’s also a bit lazy to draw. Another style you may be interested in is Cartoonism. (is that even a word?) Yes, sure a lot of artist that do this say that it’s a cartoon and it’s suppose to look… to put it bluntly, crappy. In my personal opinion even cartoonist try to make their cartoons a little propertionately right including in anatomy. (Yes there is a difference between Anime and Cartoonism.) I would also like to suggest a rather fun way to twist realistic people up. I am talking about Characture (spelling?) This a fun style that’ll help you understand dimensions and value into a drawing. Of course, Realism is a good start as well but that can take almost forever. Still, if you liek drawing real people, find a picture and start out with graphs so you’ll know where things go.

Besides what I have suggested in the above paragraph, inanimate objects are pratically a great start. Drawing inanimate objects will help you get down the basics of Art. Inaminate objects will help you get down shape, shading, depth, value, line, proportion, texture and design down greatly.

Hope this will help you any. What the other’s have suggested are great starts also. Also, I suggest the “staring” techneique. Stare at anything to understand how the figure is shaped. You won’t believe how much it’s helped me.

I’ll have to whole heartedly disagree with everything Chris-Chris said in his/her second paragraph. Drawing from anime will not only stunt your improvement, but will cause you to have a flawed understanding of anatomy.

For your own sake, if you really do want to improve, draw from life, not from [STRIKE]shit[/STRIKE] Anime.

Yo, I don’t want to hurt your feelings or anything, but most things you’ve drawn (on DA) is far from proportionally correct. Most anime is far from anything but anatomically correct (and it’s a style in itself, so it’s okay. It emphasizes on clothing, eyes, and hair, which IMO is good only later, after you’ve gotten some of the basics). Cartoons and charactures are good for emphasizing facial structures and details, but again, suck for anatomy and general figures.

Your third paragraph is good, though. Varan, I’d suggest working on drawing a building or a house or some basic shapes and using vanishing pts, horizons, and all those technical tools.

I’m gonna have to say that you should study anatomy/kinetics to become more familiar with the human figure, then move onto more stylized stuff like manga. That’s just my two cents. :x

And I would like to add that, unless you mean to be a professional artist (getting PAID for your work) you should just draw whatever you like however you like. No matter how good you draw, there’ll always be someone who will say something like, “Anime is [strike]shit![/strike]” and hate it. So, only bother with techniques if that is what you enjoy doing.

The good points and theories continue! Thanks all for the input, when I get back to the states i’ll look into getting some books on drawing stuff other than manga, as I already have a few of those. Perhaps for the time being i’ll just draw/try to draw what I see.

This thread is old, but here’s my contribution.

Loomis’ books are mostly worthless. The one on perspective is useful, though.

Drawing is more about practice than knowledge. Once you understand a few basic principles, you should be able to apply them to anything, with practice.

Lines don’t exist. Everything is made of shapes of different hues and values. This is the single most important lesson you will ever learn if you want to draw realistically.

Work from general to specific. Start with vague shapes, and slowly build up detail and value. Your composition will be more accurate the first time and you’ll find yourself going back less often to make changes. Good art doesn’t just flow forth from the artist’s soul. It is very carefully contrived.

The horizon is the viewer’s eyeline. The higher it is, the taller the viewer will seem and the shorter the characters will look by comparison. It is also the vanishing point.

I suggest learning about light and perspective in as much detail as possible. They are really the foundation of EVERYTHING you do in art. Light = what you see. Perspective = where you see it from. Color and Value are gravy.

This thread is old, but I just saw a reply, and have something to say, so, sorry about the semi-necropost.

I go to an art high school, and how most of the visualt art majours tell me they learn to do a lot of things is by tracing a style for a long time, until they can feel the movements, and learn technique’s taken directly from others, and then build up their own.
Also, you need a lot of practice, and don’t always try starting from the same point. If you always mess up eye proportions if you do the head before the eyes, do the eyes first, or maybe the torso and start on detail like the eyes when you’re warmed up. Which is another thing the VA’s reccomended me. Just doodle random semi-artistic stuff, even lines or whatever, before you really start to draw, so that you’re ready for actual drawing when you start on the real stuff.