My Xbox got the Red Ring of Death

My PS2 doesn’t give me problems. Had it since… Whenever FFX came out. It has traveled like 1500 miles in that time too. Usually in the trunk of my car.

My old roomie, though, had a piece of shit one with like the weakest laser ever.

I have 2 working original PSX’s one was bought the day they came out. I’ve never had any problems with either of them, However I’ve had 4 PS2’s, the bright side was I bought a broken one off ebay with a DRE, sent it to sony, they sent me a refurb, went through that process 2 more times and ive had the one i’ve got now for 3 years, and I use a hard drive to not work the laser.

Weird, I’ve had my PS2 since June 2001 with no problems whatsoever. My PSX never had any problems either… Either I got a lemon or I just don’t use it enough for it to break.

My original PSX “died” after 4 years of beeing mistreaded from me and only playing copies .The first year the copies where played with the swap trick and not a with the assistance of a “chip” so it had some shitty treatmeant while swapping.

My PS2 began it’s fall after 4years of beeing treaded like a king in comparison to my psx,regualra cleaning the lens and stuff,playing only original dvds ect.Also for unknown reason it just refused to play certain games even while on it’s prime time.

Sony defenetaly had a quality drop from psx to ps2.I don’t itend to buy a ps3 to find if this continues.

On the other hand I still have my old Gameboy after almost 20 years still playing even after multiple hardships during my youth as is my SNES.

Nintendo surelly builds some strong shit.

First-run PS2s were notorious for hardware failures, which considering they were selling on ebay for 3 times their launch price in the closing weeks of 2000, was actually pretty hilarious. (Same scenario as happened with the 360s, funnily enough.) As for your PSX… I’m amazed it lasted as long as it did after chipping. Did you do the trick of turning it upside-down to play?

Well, after the whole fiasco of the “getting me the shipping materials” scenario, I shipped off my Xbox on saturday and got it back yesterday. Four days aint bad. They did just repair it (looks like a new cd drive) and I got my own system back.

They gave me a free month of Xbox Live, which honestly feels like a month too short. The compensation is laughable considering that there shouldn’t be hardware failures.

15 bucks for 4 days of inconvenience isn’t too bad considering it was all done free and you have a 4 year warranty on your machine. It beats having your PS1 and PS2 crap out on you like me and several people I know.

Originally Posted by Nebagram
As for your PSX… I’m amazed it lasted as long as it did after chipping. Did you do the trick of turning it upside-down to play?

I thought the trick was to stand it on it’s side. It kinda works for me (still needed to borrow a PS2 to play Vagrant Story though).

Update: My Xbox is still getting the red ring of death :\

Whoaaa hold on a sec there :open_mouth: Overpriced system, maybe, but do you seriously have the audacity to say the PS1 had a lack of quality titles? The PS2, MAYBE, but man, that little grey box with the pop-top had an absolutely terrifying library of good games. I hope you’re talking about the PS2.

I think he’s talking about the PS3. At least that’s how I read it.

“Sony made faulty hardware. Sony did not help out the consumers the way MS did. Sony in turn just put out another system with probably similar hardware issues with a lack of good games.”

I called and talked to some guy and ended up getting into some ridiculous conversation about FFXI and how WoW has ruined the MMO market and he said he’s gonna try to get an elite sent to me.

wtf.

You mean 1337.

Man, sorry Sorc. 2 RRODs = the major suck.

Okay yeah the PS3 is pretty bad

I’m thinking about getting an xbox 360, but I’m wondering about the warranty.

1. The free warranty that comes with the xbox 360 is a year, right?
  2. You have to pay $50 for a 3 year warranty, right?
  3. I was thinking about buying amazon.com’s 3 year warranty until I read some bad reviews about it saying you will get someone else’s repaired xbox 360. What warranties do you guys have on your xbox 360s?

All xboxes come with a free extended warranty.

I gave up on the 360 (and consoles in general for this generation) after my 3rd one died on me.

MS wouldn’t fix them so I was pretty much out the money - got tired of it.