My dilemma

On the one hand, I love epic stories.

On the other hand, I also love humor and prefer cartoonishy graphics over “cutting edge realism”, bright colors over grittiness, main characters who are sarcastic, knowledgable and down to earth rather than emo and broody.

There’s probably a reason I spent two years completely obsessed with Jak and Daxter.

To use Final Fantasy as an example, my favorites are 9 and 6 while I think 7 is an overhyped piece of “meh” (also I don’t like cyberpunk much, which does bring my above mentioned obsession into question), 10 left no lasting impression and 12 made me want to drop Vaan’s largely unrelated ass off a cliff so I could have more Balthier and Fran.

And on the third hand, my owning of a new generation console is limited to a Wii. My PS2 library of games is almost as long as both my arms (and then again, I’m short), but there’s not exactly much new stuff coming out for that.

I’m rather out of the loop with both the PS3 and 360, so since I’m looking ahead… based on my taste in games, which one should I consider?

I’ve heard that Beyond Good And Evil fits your description, but I’ve not played it yet. Psychonauts is…eh, KIND of epic in scope. Most people find it funny; I didn’t, but I think I’m a statistical outlier, most people enjoyed that game just fine.

Or, did you mean that you wanted examples of such games for 360 or PS3? If so, Blue Dragon is epic, yet lighthearted.

Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Fable 2 for the 360. Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBIGPlanet for the PS3.

Maybe Prince of Persia and Brutal Legend for either. If you didn’t play Dragon Quest VIII for PS2, get that too.

Dragon Age has the gritty graphics, but brilliant writing and quality characterization, none of the emo crap; you may or may not like it. Depends what you’re looking for.

Given the type of games you’re into, you may as well get a DS and/or a PSP. The kind of RPG that swamped the PS and PS2 are now on those instead.

There’s also 3D Dot Game Heroes coming out for the PS3. Its basically a 3D HD clone of the Original Zelda, although I don’t know how much of a story it has (given that its a clone of the Original Zelda).

I don’t know if Ratchet and Clank fits your bill or not but the PS3 has a couple of those games (as well as the PS2, the PSP, and the PSX).

The Wii has Okami (the PS2 also has Okami), Muramasa (I’m not exactly sure if this your cup of tea since visually it looks stunning but more in a museum art sort of way rather than a cartoonish sort of way), and a Boy and his Blob. It will (at least in the States) also have Sakura Wars V as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. :slight_smile: Some of those games I’ve already played, like Psychonauts (meat circus AUGH). I’ve been thinking about a DS on and off, but there’s the whole battery issue which annoys me so I probably won’t go that way.

If you like Jak and Daxter then you will probably like Ratchet and Clank for the PS fam.

phoenix-wright-objection.jpg

What about it? It’s not as if you have to change batteries (non-removable li-ion battery). At home you can use the charger (think cell phone charger) when you don’t want to bother about the energy left, though a light notifies you 0,5-1 (?) hour before it runs out of energy. Its autonomy is pretty good anyway.

Besides, Phoenix Wright. It’s calling you, Weii.

Yeah, got Ratchet and Clank too though I don’t like them as much as I do JnD. :slight_smile:

Rig: Ooh really now? I must have misunderstood that whole battery thing, somehow I had come to believe they were replace as you go batteries. The DS just got more interesting.

The DS has an internal Lithium Ion battery that lasts fairly long and recharges fairly quickly. Its pretty good. The DS has a LOT of good stuff on it. Dragon Quest, FF, and lots of other very good, but very strange things.

I imagined that might have been the case and how could I let it be? I would have probably quit playing vgs, had not my interest been renewed by the DS.