Multi-Classing

help me…have been dumped plaing a cleric because my 7th lvl wzard died…IF SAY THE 6LVL CLERIC WANTS TO BECOME A FIRST LVL WIZARD (not a problem) …I NOW HAVE A 6LVL CRERIC / 1ST LVL WIZARD…WHO MUCH XP IS NEEDED TO TAKE THE WIZARD TO SECOND??? ( in 3.5 edition rules) …Is it the same amount as it would cost the cleric to go to 7th or the xp needed for the wizard to go to 2nd on the 1st to 2nd lvl xp table…(otherwise multi-class sucks)----thats what i thought,but i needed to see in print,thats for the clear-up.

The experience needed to gain 6 Cleric/1 Wizard is the same as a 7th Wizard. If you aren’t a human or an elf, however, you would get a 20% experience penalty until your wizard and cleric levels are 1 apart.

To say it in more detail, because I feel a need to post solutions to problems already solved:
First, the 6th level Cleric would need to gain a level. At which point he could take one level of wizard.
To reach the second level of Wizard would be the same as reaching the 8th level as a cleric (or any other class). In other words, you add all of your levels together to determine how much experience you need.
Also, unless you’re playing as a human or an elf, as Gamer said, you’ll take a 20% experience penalty for having to juggle two different classes at once.

Yeah, if you’re Cleric 6 / Wizard 1, you’re effectively level 7 (6+1). So for Cleric 6 / Wizard 2 (6+2), you’d need the amount of Exp to reach level 8, which is 28,000 I believe. (Just making a guess here.)

They need to do it that way so you can’t just take 1 level in 8 different classes with only 7,000 Exp.

(And yeah, I know it was already answered, the main point of my post was giving a reason why and such.)