Movies in production for 2009

If it’s any consolation I think these award shows are utter trash.

I should probably watch the Oscars to see what Jon Stewart is like when he’s not on the Daily Show.

Also, yay 24 is gonna be back on soon-ish! :smiley:

The Departed wasn’t a good movie?

I’m just disinterested in the whole thing. The glitz, the glamour, the pomposity, the politics… films aren’t really nominated based on quality, they’re based on what particular sorts of people think should be good film material, and the whole show just gets shallower every year.

I respectfully disagree. Look at the nominees now; No Country for Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood…those are pretty good movies. They’ve got depth and substance. If anything, I think this awards show is going to be great. What movie or actor has not been nominated that should have been? I think they’ve done pretty good.

Yeah, though, when they get too smarmy then I have a problem.

As I already mentioned, it’s the show itself, not who wins, that matters to me. (Nor does it really matter to the studios… they already made their money on their movies. Which is why the WGA Oscar boycott struck me as pointless.) The whole thing is more about finding who will be the Media Darlings for the year to come… which does affect the careers of many actors.

And Hades, you’re gonna kill me, but… I have no idea who, or what, The Lovely Bones are. Is it like the Greateful Dead? :smiley:

Isn’t Jon Stewart hosting the Oscars this year? To me, that’s the biggest reason to watch it.

Originally Posted by Kero Haze
I should probably watch the Oscars to see what Jon Stewart is like when he’s not on the Daily Show.

It’ll most likely be like when he was on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a Daily Show, in which case I can only hope it goes something like this.

Expecting independence from awards where so much money is at stake is wishful thinking. Apart from the tabloidery though, Amy Winehouse is good and you should give her a try. Seems you have been living under a rock :wink:

The Lovely Bones is one of the better books I’ve read in my life. I don’t know when it was released but it couldn’t have been more than 2-3 years ago. It’s up there in quality with favourites like Life of Pi.

Of course anything could flop, but not recognizing its potential under the wing of Peter Jackson is pretty short-sighted. I’ll just assume most people here aren’t readers.

Expecting independence from awards where so much money is at stake is wishful thinking. Apart from the tabloidery though, Amy Winehouse is good and you should give her a try. Seems you have been living under a rock :wink:
Being good and winning Grammys are two different things. It’s not that I think her music sucks, hell I’ve never heard it. It’s the people she beat out to do it. Sorry, but she’s not on the same Tier as John Mayer, Michael Bublé, or The Shins. No matter how big of a passing pop fad she is. The Grammys are supposed to be for the best of the best. Not her. Besides, I know the trends. If it wasn’t her, it’d be some overwhelmingly shitty band like Green Day cleaning house.

I will check her out. But don’t cry if I’m not impressed.

Edit: I read a bit more about the Grammys and apparently Carrie Underwood won 2 and Kanye West won 4. There’s no denying this show is trash anymore.

Oh yeah, Jon Stewart should be fun to watch. I certainly prefer him to the last year’s host, Ellen Degeneres.
Of course, not everyone could appreciate his kind of humor-- the 2006 gala’s audience, and quite a few reviewers/critics weren’t impressed by his performance.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11687022/

But my favorite Oscars host is Billy Crystal; and I hope to see him again in the not too distant future.

http://www.truveo.com/Oscar-Intro-2004-Billy-Crystal/id/3020211670