Mortal Kombat!

I’ve learned to not to judge a book by its cover. Then again, I’m probably one of the few that that didn’t think the first two movies weren’t that bad.

A lot of people, myself included, actually liked the first film.

The second, on the other hand, can burn in hell.

Agreed. The first was a stupid action video game movie, but it was a really fun stupid action video game movie. Also, TECHNO SYNDROME 7. HOLY SHIT I FUCKING LOVE THAT SONG.

The second movie was just shit.

You missed the entire point of everything I ever said about why GTAIV was any good.

No I didn’t, I just don’t care.

You’re the only person I’ve ever heard (actually EVER) who’s said the game is any good beyond running around killing random people and cops. Of course I’m going to judge the game on its best aspects and not try to glean enjoyment out of its most ignorable ones. “You’ve never tried it!” seems to be a favourite argument of people around here who want to discredit the usually legit opinions of those who disagree with them. Guess what? I’ve never eaten dog shit either. Sometimes you just KNOW, man. GTA4 is a game you only need to look at the cover of to know you’re not playing it for story. Unless you’re also the kind of guy who watches Tokyo Drift for story.

Let’s assume it IS well written and well-paced, for discussion’s sake. If nothing else, it’s still a game about urban gangsters and fast cars, and honestly, you could take the best writing in the world, do nothing else but put a gangster spin on it, and it would rank among the WORST stories ever written just by that merit. The setting that makes it such a popular action game is the same setting that makes the thought of sitting through dialogue in it so dreadful. James Clavell himself couldn’t make me give a shit about the characters or plot in this game.

…well, maybe HE could. But he’s been dead for over a decade.

Post-Zeppelinist Anarcho-Samurais don’t watch Godfather or Scarface?

To be honest, I thought GTAIV as a downgrade since it didn’t have the same scale of awesome stuff you could do in San Andreas… Graphics and physics? Pshaw, I can’t even speed without having to fear Niko flying out of the windshield if I crash, but at least it looks pretty if I do crash. ;/

As for Mortal Kombat… 1st: Props. 2nd: BLAAAAAARRRGGGHHH.

I can’t say I’m enthusiastic. Why do modern developers think they need to make all characters evil/crazy to appeal to today’s younger generations? Does anyone else remember when they “remade” Bugs bunny and friends to be “badass”?

An interview with Jeri Ryan (Sonia Blade) has her stating this was a pilot so WB would consider making a full movie out of it. I found it pretty well done, on the scale of video game movies.

Is this the same girl that played a cyborg on one of the Star Trek series?

Yes, she was brought in to replace the other blonde chick that had to be killed off for some reason (probably because [STRIKE]her character was written into a corner[/STRIKE] she was too ‘girl next door’ for the needed sex appeal necessary to compensate for the atrocity that was the show’s writing). But even then her transphasic torpedoes weren’t good enough to save ST:Voyager (if anyone the Doctor deserves the credit for that as the episodes surrounding him were usually a cut above the rest).

Not until you brought it up you son of a bitch. :fungah: