Marches

Military marches are rather silly. I was looking at pics of militants in various walking positions and I was thinking about how dorky one must feel doing it. Sadly, these things didn’t die in the 40s along with other regimes -_-;. Anyone have thoughts on marches or why people care (other than giving a superficial sense of identity to a highly conformist regime)?

I guess it’s supposed to look like they are a unit, a strong assembled force to be reckoned with, a thrustworthy army of protectors - or keepers of their generals’ ideas of justice. Whatever works.

Ya know, I remember from my culture science back in the days when we got to watch an old black and white movie that the Brits had done during WWII, messing up movies of German military marches with silly music and speeding up/reversing the flicks. Hilarious.

Yes, I believe that may be the main reason.
And don’t forget the effects music has on the human mind.

Parodies of German military marches? Too bad I didn’t see one of those. But Charlie Chaplin’s parody and Allo Allo are the next best things!:slight_smile:

I think Weiila’s right. Military Marches are supposed to make the group look like they are unified. Marching in unison, however dorky it makes you feel, is one of the few outside of combat ways of showing how well trained your military is.

Our mother loves it when Scottish people in kilts do that, for some reason…

It’s just a drill, although some of the more flamboyant ones are funny looking especially when it’s being orchestrated by a relatively irrelevant army.

i just reckon they look gay when soldiers march. can’t they think of a substitute for marching

Originally posted by Merlin
It’s just a drill, although some of the more flamboyant ones are funny looking especially when it’s being orchestrated by a relatively irrelevant army.

Like the nonexistant army of Canadia.

Doing a march is like saying “look, our amy is organized, well trained and equipped. It’s a really strong army.” Just that they are displaying an image rather than speaking.

The way they walk is just the easiest way to make people walk all the same way. Imagine if they walked in a casual way, like people in the streets. It wouldn’t look organized.

Dad use to work in the military and he says he doesn’t know why… -_-;;; But, yeah. Mistress weiila is correct. It shows that the units are unifyd…

It just looks right, Military Marches. I wouldn’t want some army people just mope around and walk through Main Street during a parade, ya know.

As for Marching BANDS…r0x0rz

I agree, they are in unison.