Lufia 2 questions

I just finished replaying it and I’m hoping some of you can answer my questions. I’ve played it several times but I’m finally asking now.

So what was the significance of the name Lufia in Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals? I suspect none at all, and it’s just a way to tie the games together…

Isn’t RotS a bit wrong since they are not “rising” but causing terror for the first time?

WHat was Iris’ significance? Just because she was Erim doesn’t solve anything for me. Like why was she helping, and why does she have those 10 treasures? Like how was that persona triggered from Erim?

In the first game, why does Lufia take Erim’s place? Since in the first game they are actually rising a second time, how would this be possible since Erim is destroyed? For whatever reason that is, is it plausible to assume that Erim stayed dead, and the others were ressurected by a different means? And this is how Lufia becomes Erim? (Just how, anyways?) So is Lufia in a sense Iris?

It’s the first appearance of the Sinistrals, “Rise” does not always mean “Ressurrection”. In this case, it could mean “Awakening” or even how they rose to power.

yeah you’re quite right. I never looked at it that way before, hehe.

About the name Lufia as well, in the German version (and perhaps other languages too, maybe even Japanese) the Dual Blade is called the Lufia Sword (well, Lufiaschwert, translated). So I wonder if the name is actually supposed to be Lufia Sword and they called it Dual Blade in the English version instead.

Edit: This is Natsume we’re talking about after all, the company that can’t even spell its own name.

The original name of this series is Estpolis (the name of the world they live in). I don’t remember much about Lufia I, but one thing that always bothered me about Lufia II was that Arek dude. Since Lufia: Ruin Chasers was canceled, I doubt we’ll ever know about Arek.

In the first game, Lufia didn’t replace Erim, she WAS Erim. She was apparently the first of the sinistrals to rise again, exeot when she did so, she had amnesia. At the end of the game, she survives, but has amnesia again, exept this time, she is COMPLETELY stripped of her powers.

And in 2, the Iris Treasures have no connection to Iris, the character. I’m not entirely sure why Erim did what she did…she may have explaned it, but it’s been awhile since I’ve played.

As an aside, does anyone know if the name Lufia has any significance, mythological or otherwise? The game was originally called “Estopolis”, if memory serves, though I’ve not the faintest what that means either.

Erim has always been the least evil of the sinistrals. It is interesting because Erim is helping them but her spiritual force is what is reviving the sinistrals. I agree that they should have explained Arek better. I can’t remeber was he a servant to the sinistrals or was he their leader.

I have another question: after you beat the game how long do you have to wait till it resets? Because apparently after you beat it, you can go back and do a special replay (kinda like CT) and you can enter the Ancient Cave automatically and choose your characters. Well I want to do that but it wont take me beyond a stats screen after I beat the game.

Beating it unlocks “Retry” mode, where you get double exp and gold. Beating it in Retry mode lets you play Gift mode, which lets you take whoever you want into the Ancient cave, and makes beating it a lot easier. Best team to take is Maxim, Guy, Dekar and Artea.

Yeah I just found that out a little while, ago thanks. Im replaying as fast as I can cuz I love the AC, hehe. I was thinking Dekar, Guy, Artea and Selan. I dun like Maxim. I’ll even try it with Tia, Selan, Dekar and Guy cuz that looks like a cool party and poor Tia is always forgotten.

It’s fun to experiment, no doubt, but what I said is hands-down the best party.

Selan is a caster, and magic is very limited in the Cave. You need hard-hitters more than anything. But you still need one caster, are Artea is the better choice. He’s stronger than Selan, and can learn Fry and Zap, which are REALLY handy should you find them.

I believe Arek was some sort of superior entity, who was watching the entire confrontation as some sort of test of worth between humans and Sinistrals. Erim does mention that the Dual Blade’s awakening means that judgement time has come for them.

I guess I really should play Lufia II.

But Lufia I was my first RPG, so I’ve got most of the game memorized. Sorta.

Anyway, I never saw it as Lufia actually BEING Erim, but more like Lufia was a substitute, since Erim had really been killed at the battle of Doom Island. There was no evidence givin in the game that Lufia was Erim in the flesh and blood, but more to the indicate that she was possessed or something.

I walked away from Lufia I with the impression that Lufia was in fact Erim, who’d been revived with Amnesia. She was supposed to be naturally kind or something. That’d also explain Iris in the second game, I’d guess.

And Taito called it Dual Blade in the first Lufia, which they translated themselves. Natsume didn’t do that bad with Lufia 2 (other than the occasional “Gai” instead of “Guy” or what not), but the game had some bad code coming to them. Awesome game, though.

Like how setting the sound to Stereo by pressing left makes your characters invincible sometimes? >> And the Submarine Shrine, of course.

In the first game, why does Lufia take Erim’s place? Since in the first game they are actually rising a second time, how would this be possible since Erim is destroyed? For whatever reason that is, is it plausible to assume that Erim stayed dead, and the others were ressurected by a different means? And this is how Lufia becomes Erim? (Just how, anyways?) So is Lufia in a sense Iris?

Let me try to explain this(if i can)

1:Lufia is the reincarnation of Erim since as long as even a little bit of her spiritual essence exists she and the Sinastrals will keep coming back.
2:Lufia in a sense is Iris since Iris was the human side of Erim,at first Erim just took the disguise if Iris just to guide Maxim but eventually developed human emotions and fell in love with Maxim,and since the last time she appeared before Maxim was in her spiritual human form she was reborn as a human first.

As for Arek I compleatly agree with Manus conclusion.

Magic is limited? I usually get all the spells by the time I hit level 99 :stuck_out_tongue: Things such as Silver Armor and Absorb replenish MP, so it’s quite easy to max it out.

Then i have to say you very lucky if you can find all the spells in the ancient cave,those things rarely appear for me.

Ditto. I’ll get Absorb on occasion if I’m lucky.

I got the impression that Lufia was “revived as” Erim as a substitute, not that she was Erim incarnate. The amnesia was there to make the whole thing easier.