LotR:RotK

Yeah, Gollum did reference to Shelob at the end of the second movie, he kept saying that “she” would take care of the hobbits or something.

Well that’s odd, in my extended set, all Sam gets in the gift-giving scene is the rope. Does Galadriel give it to him at another point beforehand?

I agree with Jackson’s decision to get rid of the Shire battles. It just wouldn’t look good on screen for there to be this incredible climax at Mt. Doom, and then for the movie to drag on with a few more action scenes. I didn’t think the Scouring of the Shire was a good fit in the books, either.

Hey! The bitch-ass-Sharky stabbing rocks!

Originally posted by Curtis
I agree with Jackson’s decision to get rid of the Shire battles. It just wouldn’t look good on screen for there to be this incredible climax at Mt. Doom, and then for the movie to drag on with a few more action scenes. I didn’t think the Scouring of the Shire was a good fit in the books, either.

I don’t know about that… when I was reading the books, I was thinking “It’s over?” after Mt. Doom, and then I thought “All right! Another ass-kicking part” when the scouring of the Shire came in. It does fit in, and explains Sauruman’s silence quite nicely.

Originally Posted By Cless Alvein
I don’t know about that… when I was reading the books, I was thinking “It’s over?” after Mt. Doom, and then I thought “All right! Another ass-kicking part” when the scouring of the Shire came in. It does fit in, and explains Sauruman’s silence quite nicely.

I gotta go with Cless on that

I don’t really listen to rumors either. The last two movies were great in my opinion and I don’t think they’d kill the last. Granted I never read the books yet (I’ll get to them some day), I really don’t care if they leave some scenes out as long as the movie doesn’t need it.

The Scouring explains why Saruman has South Farthing leaf, too. No scouring means loose ends.

I still think Scouring of the Shire was an anticlimax, and that the movie would have a better plot if they ended it shortly after Mt. Doom.

The elimination of the Scouring of the Shire from ROTK is not a rumor, BahamutXero. Peter Jackson has been quoted confirming that the visions seen in the mirror of Galadriel of the Shire in flames are in fact the movie’s ‘version’ of the Scouring…

And for those wondering what happens to Saruman, here’s the leading rumor, which probably isn’t a rumor:

He gets killed near the beginning of the movie, when they have him cornered in Orthanc he pisses Wormtongue off, and Wormtongue throws him off the side of the Tower, where he then is impaled on a giant wooden spike that’s part of the orc-machinery. This is a homage to Christopher Lee’(the guy who plays Saruman); Christopher Lee is famous for playing Dracula in a bunch of the classic Dracula movies(being impaled on a wooden spike, get it)?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curtis
The elimination of the Scouring of the Shire from ROTK is not a rumor, BahamutXero.

I never said it was. As I mentioned, I never read the books and wasnt’ even sure what “the Scouring of the Shire” was.

Yeah but you said that you don’t listen to rumors and it sounded like you were saying that what everyone was talking about was a rumor.

My mistake then. I was merely agreeing with Lord Zhou Yu in that I don’t let rumors affect what I think of the movie.

Although I am saddened at the news of the removal of the Scouring of the Shire, Return of the King should prove an exciting conclusion to the series nevertheless, especially the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, particularly Éowyn’s fight with the chief ring-wraith.

I shall also be interested in watching the romance between Faramir and Éowyn unfold (if it actually happens) based on how those two characters were developped in the movie; they are quite different in the books.