Laser Ninjas from the Future!

Ok, now that I have your attention, can someone tell me what the hell is going on? My comp has this notion that I’m amused by the fact that it spontaneously restarts on me at the worst possible times. I’m sick and tired of it. No, I’m not on XP, so I can’t simply click the “Make my OS not suck shit” button to make it go away. Is this a virus or something? I just want an explanation ><

Sounds like you might have been blaster-ified. Does it give you a one minute countdown before restarting, as well as an error message stating “generic host process has closed” or something along those lines? If the answer is yes, then, well, yes. You have it. :thud:

Ouch.
Sucks for you Hades.
You may have to reformat.

Nope. No countdown, nothing. It just resets, as if I turned my comp off and right back on.

Windows 98?

Computers like to freeze and reboot when they come overloaded. At what times does it happen? I’m willingly to bet it’s while you play games.

If he’s using Windows 98 it can’t be MSBlaster, that only affected Windows 2000 and XP.

OMG!
You are using Windows 98?
Jesus Crist man, get with the times!

First things first, run every single diagnostic check you have, including anti-virus measures, just to be sure.

-possible problems with power supply. Get a technician to look at it 9I reckon this is most likely)
-possible O/S trauma. Try re-installing it or upgrading.
-possible motherboard problems. Probably cheaper just to get a whole new PC, truth be told :thud:
-if in doubt, simply do a full format.
-if that doesn’t work, your PC’s FUBAR like nothing was ever FUBAR before.

I should just point out right now that I do work for a software support company… although I have jack shit idea what I’m talking about. :thud: However, much of what I have just said is probably true.

Man Giza! I’ve used all those newfangled OSes and I can’t say I like em. XP is like crap on a stick. WinME is hideous. And 2000 is bearable, but I still like 98SE far better.

-possible motherboard problems. Probably cheaper just to get a whole new PC, truth be told
I wouldn’t be surprised. This thing is nearly 7 or 8 years old. Sadly I don’t shit gold, so I haven’t been able to get a better comp yet. I want one so badly though >>;

Originally posted by Hades Shinigami
Man Giza! I’ve used all those newfangled OSes and I can’t say I like em. XP is like crap on a stick. WinME is hideous. And 2000 is bearable, but I still like 98SE far better.

Yeah, see, I like to live in the <b>21st century!</b>

Well whatever floats your boat.

I’m with Hades here, “getting with the times” was the worst idea I’ve had ever.

I tried to install WinME in my old 400Mhz comp with 64RAM, of course, my comp started to run like shit, so I had to change my OS to Win98SE again.

<3 Win98SE ^^

Originally posted by Hades Shinigami
Sadly I don’t shit gold, so I haven’t been able to get a better comp yet.

You don’t shit gold? I thought everyone did.

I’ve been considering updating, as one of my coworkers gave me a WinXP CD, but after hearing about how that might go on my PC I’m a bit leery.

With new machines, XP works nicely. Older machines I’ve heard have had issues.

You might want to check if your comp thinks its overheating. I have a friend who’s laptop thinks its overheating and it causes it to randomly get turned off.

Also, as Nulani asked, is there a particular time this happens more, like when you play games? Age might also be a factor…

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
OMG!
You are using Windows 98?
Jesus Crist man, get with the times!

>_>

I like 98 better than XP personally. But its still windows, =\

giz, some of us are beyond the point when our parents stop buying us all the stuff we want. Considering you are 14, it sounds like you aren’t beyond that point.

That, and everyone’s right; ‘getting with the times’ isn’t always the best of ideas, ESPECIALLY with OSes.

Win2000 and XP aren’t the best for certain game compatabilities (well, I think for win2000, or so I’ve heard), particularly when winxp tries running some of the older games (I’m yet to find a way to get x-com: apocalypse or mechwarrior 2 working on my XP-based laptop)

winME is fine for compatability, but very, very buggy.

Originally posted by IonMage
giz, some of us are beyond the point when our parents stop buying us all the stuff we want. Considering you are 14, it sounds like you aren’t beyond that point.

Ouch.
Attacking my age.

Thanks to WinME, I’m probably going to loose that kick-ass Prelude Remix and new Gilgamesh Remix I was working on back at college.

Damnit, Ninja!

If you think that was attacking your’ age, trust me, you haven’t seen anything in regards to what I usually think of people ~14.

I’ll admit, you seem relatively well-behaved, but it’s still doubtful that your’ actively worrying about money issues.

Yeah my friend used to have the same problem. We’d be playing Warcraft III and the computer would reset at just the opportune times :smiley: (like when we were about to win a 4v4) He fixed it by taking the computer to a professional though, so uh, good luck :stuck_out_tongue:

Ironically, I used to have that propblem with Kazaa. If I had Kazaa running, every so often, my computer would reboot for no apparent reason. When it rebooted, It would tell me the system had just recovered from a serious error. Being curious, I clicked on the "report this to Microsoft button). I loved the page it sent me to. "Microsoft is currently looking for people to diagnose and fix the problem you sent, If you would like to volunteer…) DAMNIT, IF I KNEW HOW TO FIX IT, I WOULDNT HAVE REPORTED IT!!!

Anyways, see if theres any one program that is running every time it happens, it just might be corrupted (or virus infected).

Aww man, Hades. I was looking forward to see Laser Ninjas from the future, you meanie pants.