Ladybug, Ladybug

Fly away home, your house is on fire and your children will BURN!!!

What the hell? How do you tell that to little kids in their cradle? I love it!

Discuss.

People like to blame the media, but it’s poems and stories like these that make our children so damn fucked up. Hurrah! :smiley:

Read a grimm’s farie tale, and tell me why that generation wasnt’ fucked up

You know I did one of these in the first grade, my mom thought it was funny as hell and she framed it. I’m quoting here.

“Ladybug, Ladybug, where did you fly? The water.
What did you do? Drown.”

I was such a pleasant kid.

Isn’t it great explaing how “Ring around the rosies” is actually about the Black Death?

Originally posted by demigod
Isn’t it great explaing how “Ring around the rosies” is actually about the Black Death?
I’m afraid thats just a faerie tale waits for a laugh, but waits in vain “Ring Around the Rosie” is simply a nursery rhyme of indefinite origin and no specific meaning, and someone, long after the fact, concocted an inventive “explanation” for its creation.

Didn’t Rock a Bye Baby have some meaning/purpose to it.

I guess its always pleasant to read Brothers Grimm faerie tales to my little brother.

Originally posted by Kairi
Didn’t Rock a Bye Baby have some meaning/purpose to it.

Yes. It reminds you not to stick babies in trees.

I’m not talking about Faerie tales! I’m talking about Nursery Rhymes!

And we’re talking about fairy tales.
Little red riding hood: Rabid wolf eats grandmother of small kid because she was stupid enough to tell him where she lives but gets shot by a hunter in the end.
Snowhite: evil grandmother wants to kill girl just because she’s prettier than her. Several ways of killing a person are shown here. At the end, she has to dance in hot iron shoes until she dies.
Cinderella: Girl who’s mother died gets treated like shit (but gets to marry prince at the end). Evil stepmother dies in jealousy.
These patterns go on and on. Wolf tricks and eats seven innocent goats (!). Evil fairy curses 16 year old girl to die but fucks up and she sleeps 100 years instead. Et cetera, et cetera.
I don’t think that it has affected the kids back in those days in a bad way though, because one had a totally different relation to stuff like death and vengeance. It wouldn’t surprise me if it would today, though.

In todays versions of the fairy tales, Cinderella would go to Amnesty international and show her evil stepmother the Human Rights declaration, the dumb goats would be rescued by Greenpeace and Snowhite would declare the queen’s actions as stalking, go to the CIA, become part of the Victim protection program, receive a new identity and live somewhere in Finland called Snooorklsejae Viirjkjaasen.

Originally posted by Dragon Tear
Little red riding hood: Rabid wolf eats grandmother of small kid because she was stupid enough to tell him where she lives but gets shot by a hunter in the end.
Snowhite: evil grandmother wants to kill girl just because she’s prettier than her. Several ways of killing a person are shown here. At the end, she has to dance in hot iron shoes until she dies.
Cinderella: Girl who’s mother died gets treated like shit (but gets to marry prince at the end). Evil stepmother dies in jealousy.
These patterns go on and on. Wolf tricks and eats seven innocent goats (!). Evil fairy curses 16 year old girl to die but fucks up and she sleeps 100 years instead. Et cetera, et cetera.
I don’t think that it has affected the kids back in those days in a bad way though, because one had a totally different relation to stuff like death and vengeance. It wouldn’t surprise me if it would today, though.

Ahh, it was a golden age. :stuck_out_tongue:

What about ring-a-round-the rosy?

Thats like a morbid song when you think about what it truely means…

Originally posted by Alyx
[b]What about ring-a-round-the rosy?

Thats like a morbid song when you think about what it truely means… [/b]

Uh, we already covered that, Al:

Originally posted by Charlemagne
I’m afraid thats just a faerie tale waits for a laugh, but waits in vain “Ring Around the Rosie” is simply a nursery rhyme of indefinite origin and no specific meaning, and someone, long after the fact, concocted an inventive “explanation” for its creation.

think we all know who’s to blame for the bastardisation of this stuff, though I’d rather not point fingers…

coughcoughdisneycoughcough

Originally posted by GG Crono 4
[b]think we all know who’s to blame for the bastardisation of this stuff, though I’d rather not point fingers…

coughcoughdisneycoughcough [/b]

Yes… bloody corporation. :too bad; Life was much more fun when the gruesome murders/disfigurement were the emphasis of the tales. :mwahaha:

Originally posted by Nebagram
Yes… bloody corporation. :too bad; Life was much more fun when the gruesome murders/disfigurement were the emphasis of the tales. :mwahaha:

That it most certainly once, although atleast they hide the gruesomeness well…

Well hell, if you guys are going to talk about fairy tales being gruesome, you should read some Russian fairy tales. I don’t see how they could be directed at kids at all.

“Animal Farm” is a fairy tale, and IT sure isn’t directed at kids! :smiley:

Originally posted by Yar Kramer
“Animal Farm” is a fairy tale, and IT sure isn’t directed at kids! :smiley:

No its not. Its a comparitive novel about the US and USSR.

Superficially it’s a fairly tale :stuck_out_tongue: Hell, it even says “A Fairy Story By George Orwell” in the beginning :stuck_out_tongue: