Killmore's 3000th Ballyhoo!

So I’m pretty much the only person who still does this, but whatever.

You know the drill, send me your questions, your comments, your huddled masses and I’ll try to return an answer without making myself look like too much of an idiot.

What are your personal opinions of any 5 users on RPGClassics?

What’s a Ballyhoo? Is it like a Hullabaloo? Or a Dr. Seuss character?

PS. great having you here so long, Kill. Congrats. :slight_smile:

Out of all the people that have come and gone in the RPGC Agora (including those still active) …who do you most respect? and why?

If we were all trapped on an island with no food, what would you do to stay at the top of the food chain? It would basically be Survivor, only instead of getting voted off you would be eaten. More simply: how do you think it would turn out?

A bried of history of your relationship to the Zelda games you’ve played and your opinion on them? Is the Mario & Luigi series slightly undervalued or is it just me? What’s the deal with masochistic games like Beyond the Beyond and 7th Saga? If I send you my huddled masses don’t you think the immigration services will want to have a word with you?

What’s your take on Futurama since its resurrection (4 DVDs and “resurrection part deux” aka Rebirth on CC)?
I didn’t watch any of the episodes beyond FOX torpedoing the show, just glanced over the reviews, and some of them were not very flattering.

What are your top 5 favorite RPGs, and why?

What are your plans for the coming years?

What’s your favorite game-inspired movie?

If you pulled the pin on a grenade with your teeth and spit the pin out of the helicopter you were flying away in, and you were ready to hurl it towards the Evil Doctor when all of a sudden he pulls along side him the chick you were suppose to save, then you realize the helicopter is wired to explode because the Evil Doctor is one step ahead of you, would you A. throw the grenade. B. Jump out of the helicopter to your 100 ft death. C. Just wait until the helicopter exploded. D. (Insert your ending here)

You’re in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It’s crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t. Not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Originally Posted by Shinryu
What are your personal opinions of any 5 users on RPGClassics?

helios19
Out of all the people that have come and gone in the RPGC Agora (including those still active) …who do you most respect? and why?

Tough questions. I really don’t have a top poster because many of the people here are awesome and usually for different reasons. As for having personal opinions on at least five posters, I have them, but if I told you then I’d have to kill you. Besides they wouldn’t be personal if I did speel the beans.

Originally Posted by Wilfredo Martinez
What’s a Ballyhoo? Is it like a Hullabaloo? Or a Dr. Seuss character?

It’s kinda like a hoedown or a hootenanny but from a more urban perspective.

Badly.

Originally Posted by Rigmarole
A bried of history of your relationship to the Zelda games you’ve played and your opinion on them? Is the Mario & Luigi series slightly undervalued or is it just me? What’s the deal with masochistic games like Beyond the Beyond and 7th Saga? If I send you my huddled masses don’t you think the immigration services will want to have a word with you?

I’ve been playing the Original Zelda since I was 3, although it took the better part of a decade before I could finish the second quest (due to not being able to find level 8 even in light of mailing to NOA for help and receiving a letter of advice on what to look for, it took my old man to go through and methodically bomb everywhere until the dungeon was found), though since then I’ve been able to complete both quests deathless and the 2nd quest swordless. LttP was the game that convinced my parents to pick up a SuperNES, during my first run I managed to get around the Ice Palace by completing Misery Mire first and picking up the Cane of Somaria, however I still ended up needing help on Ganon’s Tower which my babysitter at the time was able to provide, favorite moments of the game were the opening and the Light World segment as the Light World was so open and packed full of stuff to find, Hera’s Tower, Swamp Palace, and Blind’s Hideout were my favorite dungeons while Skull Woods used to scare the pants off of me as a kid, still my favorite Zelda game and one of the games I’ve minimalist. Link’s Awakening was the first Zelda game I’ve completed on my own (save for the walkthrough up to level 3 in NP), I consider it the last of the old 4 as Oot didn’t come out for the next 5 years, I ended up getting stuck trying to get into the castle as for some reason I couldn’t trade with Sale for some bananas and it took months to finally do so, definitely my favorite GameBoy game and another Zelda I minimalist’d (though there really isn’t much to skip save for the Mirror Shield, the Bow or the Boomerang, the trading sequence past the pineapple, and the 12 heart pieces). Adventures of Link came after that from an NES clearance sale at a local Toys’R’Us, and while I absolutely love the gameplay style that the game possesses its not exactly my favorite Zelda game, though I do still remember how to get through the Golden Palace. Unfortunately for OoT, even though I had unsubscribed from NP at the time I got the strategy guide with it instead so I didn’t really do all of it on my own (though I did avenge my cheating self with Master Quest), pretty far down as far as favorite Zelda’s go due to a variety of reasons but still pretty good, one of the better newer Zelda’s when I was a kid but has aged the worst since. MM felt like a vast improvement over OoT even from the start, however it does start an annoying trend of lack of proper dungeons that I found prevalent in the newer Zelda’s, and while I loved the number of upgrades the game gave me I hated just how ridiculously overpowered they made me feel after getting them all, first game I minimalist’d skipping out on all non boss heart containers and non essential masks, also where I first developed my user name. I made an effort to gather both Oracle games when they first came out (much to the chagrin of my brother who wanted Ages) along with a GBC (which has since broken down what with the LCD not properly displaying anything anymore and the speaker makes only a loud buzzing sound), Seasons I much prefer of the two (namely due to having a better Linked Hero Cave and not having Tokay Island or Goron Dancing), the Ancient Ruins area in particular is by far the most memorable of both games, I’ve also nearly collected all 64 rings (its just finding the Green Ring and trading between the two). I liked the ideas behind WW but the execution left much to be desired, again it felt lacking of proper dungeons and also of proper islands beyond the dungeon centric ones. MC was definitely an awesome game held back entirely by system limitations and all the kinstone fusion/blue shell shenanigans, definitely needed another dungeon or two, the lack of challenge led me to minimalist this game as well (the final boss plus one screw up in the castle in the sky dungeon were my only deaths during the run). 4SA was a decent mix of LttP and WW styles, never got a chance to play it with anybody though. The concept behind TP didn’t thrill me as much as WW’s did but I’d say that the execution was better, the better challenge and awesome dungeons (the later ones that is) were very appreciated but the world itself felt very empty and a number of items were highly underused or completely unneeded, some neat ideas like an alien invasion, using unconventional powers to fight the unknown, and meaningful non locations like that cave network around Lake Hylia were great to have but were kinda squandered by under use (and Ganon needing to be shoehorned in there). PH & ST are both pretty much what they are, quick and dirty Zelda affairs that deliver what they promise rather than having the trappings of an epic quest at the start only to fizzle out half way through like many of the newer Zeldas.

I too think that the M&L series are a bit underrated but then again I’ve played more of them than the Paper Mario series. Partners in Time though gets as much recognition as it deserves though (since you really need two thumbs to play effectively and the babies themselves didn’t really add much).

I only rented 7th Saga once and only really made it through the first dungeon. But thanks to that and the learning of the general mechanics employed in its localization I understand why everybody thinks of it as masochistic. BtB was me giving it a go based on the fact that it was developed by the same people who did Shining Force and Golden Sun. Turns out Shining Force must have been copied from something really good because it seems that copying from better games to be what Camlot does best. At least it saved me from getting Dark Dawn.

And since I don’t live in Arizona, I don’t think anyone would mind me receiving a cheap labor workforce to exploit.

Originally Posted by Seifer
What’s your take on Futurama since its resurrection (4 DVDs and “resurrection part deux” aka Rebirth on CC)?
I didn’t watch any of the episodes beyond FOX torpedoing the show, just glanced over the reviews, and some of them were not very flattering.

The movies were alright in my opinion. The problem with them is that the movies were designed to be reshown as standard episodes while also sharing the same overarching plot, both of which interferes with the overall pacing of the movies. And while there are really funny moments in each of them, its a case of diminishing returns as the movies go on. That said, they are fairly similar to each other in quality, so its not like there’s any particular movie to avoid or favor, and the themes of the movies vary greatly so even if one movie doesn’t really sit well, the others might.

As for the CCTV series, there’s nothing wrong with them at all. The only things really holding them back is the fact that people haven’t been rewatching them over and over again on Adult Swim for the last 7-11 years. Definitely worth a watch (even though the lack of a tales of interest episode last season was disappointing).

Originally Posted by LockeJV
What are your top 5 favorite RPGs, and why?

Dragon Quest V: By far the best plot I’ve seen in a RPG of any kind. The gameplay does not do it a disservice either. Thankfully I played the DS version which probably worked to streamline the game as much as possible.
Dragon Quest VIII: One of the only 3D RPGs I’ve played that truly made excellent use of the advantages that 3D graphics confer to provide a gorgeous world to explore.
Secret of Mana: It’s amazing how much this game did right back when. The world was pretty expansive at the time, plus being fun to play through and not very stupid or tedious, action was very fast paced, the magic system was handled incredibly well, the music was excellent, and the plot was actually pretty dark and depressing in contrast to its bright and colorful veneer.
FFT: Don’t know what it is but this game just lights off the OCD in me. The story was also one of the better ones for me to play through.
FFVI: One of the best examples of a JRPG following a cast of characters that number more than the fingers on one hand. Sure its buggy as hell, unbalanced as hell, and suffers from the same glut of useless options that most FFs are known for, but its still such a fun game to play through every now and then. Being incredibly easy to the point of unintentional steamrolling doesn’t hurt that much either.

Originally Posted by Kairi
What are your plans for the coming years?

Finish up my bachelors degree by the summer, then hopefully start looking for a job, or sink my teeth into making video games (sticking with indie games until I’ve either built up enough of a portfolio to get a better job than Tester or I turn into one of those lucky few who can make a name for himself).

Originally Printed by TrkJac
What’s your favorite game-inspired movie?

Haven’t really seen that many of them, namely cuz they more or less suck. If I had to pick one though, it would definitely be The Last Starfighter.

Originally Posted by Jettatura
If you pulled the pin on a grenade with your teeth and spit the pin out of the helicopter you were flying away in, and you were ready to hurl it towards the Evil Doctor when all of a sudden he pulls along side him the chick you were suppose to save, then you realize the helicopter is wired to explode because the Evil Doctor is one step ahead of you, would you A. throw the grenade. B. Jump out of the helicopter to your 100 ft death. C. Just wait until the helicopter exploded. D. (Insert your ending here)

Don’t grenades come with one of those release mechanisms that can be held down and the grenade wont go off (and is, in fact the very thing the pin holds back)? Anyways, since you didn’t specify what type of grenade it is, I’ll have to assume its one of those. And in such an event I would hang off on the side of the helicopter right over the Doctor Evil, making clear my intent on letting the grenade land on him should anything happen to me or the girl. Of course such an action movie scenario can’t end with the villain winning in the end. I’ll naturally grab the semi conveniently placed jet-pack wearing downed mook, throw him overboard, fire off said jet-pack, ride him down like an air board, and if the villain should shoot at me while I make my descent my general action movie hero awesomeness will make all of his shots superficially hit their mark at most, then I swoop down grab the girl while simultaneously leaving the grenade in my wake, then make a really cheesy quip while the villain explodes.

Originally Posted by Cless Alvein
You’re in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It’s crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t. Not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Better the vultures find their mark elsewhere.

It’s kinda like a hoedown or a hootenanny but from a more urban perspective.

Ah! That explains it! :hahaha;

Great thread, Kill. Thanks, and may you post thousands of time more.

I love that I hit a nerve with the Zelda question. I definitely agree that the Light World’s openness and optional items where the highlight of ALTTP (and Zelda in general probably). I was ready to get up to arms when you said about the lack of dungeons because I immediately thought of TP. This game was all about the dungeons.

Happy 3000.