Kill Bill

It is funny because it is so excessive and over the top. The way the fights break up is also funny. Such as the first fight, ma Thurman’s character knocks on the door in a nice residential area, says a few words, and just punches Vivica A Fox who opened the door. They trash the house, then Fox’s daughter come shome from school and they take a break and speak like friends while they are all bloody and are holding knives behind their backs. The fight is brutal and the hosue is trashed. After another scence and the end of the fight, Thurman’s character drives off in a truck with “Pussy Wagon” on the back. You jsut can’t help but laughw henseeing something like that.

I don’t remember anyone sayign it was cool for its megadeath. In fact, I’ve said its not my type of movie, but it is still funny none the less. We aren’t telling you to see, jus tto stop saying how bad it is without seeing it. we’ve said that the gore and fighting are over the top and extreme, but no one has said it is cool. Like Percival, his manner and attitude make it understandablef or him not to see. PLUS, he also hasn’t said that the movie is bad and stupid. He says that eh won’t see it because it isn’t him. You on the other hand say that it misreperesentative and disrespectful of Japanese culture. Steve has already shown that it is sort of a homage to them. I mean, let’s look at teen movies. Those aren’t very representative of most teens I know or what I experienced. However, they are still fun to watch at times or they might be funny. You could make the same arguement that you are making on teen movies, but you don’t since those are part of our culture. An sort of perosnal example I guess would be Aliens 2. They are Marines there, I guess they are suppose to be the Marine Corps of the future. The Marines I think are pretty nasty and I be ashamed to call myself a Marine if that is how we become. However, I still think that the movie is very good and I like watching it.

It’s possible to tolerate it due to the fact it’s completely over the top while it wasn’t in those other two movies. Like I said, it’d be disturbing if all the violence was serious, but it isn’t at all.

Also like I said, the movie isn’t necessarily culturally illiterate. It’s paying homage to past movies and follows what is done in that sort of style. Because of that, it’s going to be a bit more stereotypical. Culturally illiterate or not, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the movie.

(because I don’t want to quote the whole post ikimasho made… i’ll just say this is in response to his latest post)
I do know a very basic amount of Japanese. I am currently trying to self-teach myself the written language, so I know what you mean by not many people knowing the difference between Japan and China.
Really, all I’m saying about your opinion is that… at least do a bit more research into it. If you don’t wish to, then that is by all means fine, but looking into something a bit deeper can weild very good results.
For example, a few years back, I was a huge country fan and was afraid of straying from it because I had always heard horrible things about Metallica and AC/DC and all these other “horrible” bands. I did a bit more research into it, and now I own 4 Metallica albums, 1 AC/DC album, and have the full Metallica discography on my hard drive. That’s a far cry from how I used to be. (yeah… that kinda made no sense…)

The community I live in is about 1/3 people of asian decent it’s mostly Koreans with Japanese and Chinese about equal, and I have yet to hear 1 complaint about the movie from any of my Japanese friends. A couple didn’t like it because they aren’t in to the old movies and stuff, but the general concensus was that the movie rocked.

Honestly, at times I think people try to make a big deal out of nothing and try to make themselves look good by siding with the culture they think was offended, but wasn’t offended at all. I would put money on the fact that if any of my Japanese friends came here, they would tell you to shut up and get a good idea of how the majority of the Japanese community felt about it, not how your 2 teachers felt. Though it would be much less elequent and would involve many more insults to you and statements about how good your mom was in bed last night.

They wouldn’t have to come for the last part, I can tell you all you want.
:mwahaha:

Man, screw it. I was going to bother to explain, but you’ve made up your mind.

My friends here at school just forced me to watch the movie (ep. 1). Wow. I was right. Oh, rapture. Two hours of my life down the drain that I could have been working on my shrine. On the plus side, I made $4 in tips and I wasn’t even working. I have a 50% employee discount at Papa John’s (I’m financing school myself) and I sometimes run trips for my friends. They gave me extra. So, overall a good night.

The one thing I will say is this – the scene where Liu ala O-ren Iishi tells all the guys at the table to take her seriously kicked ass. It was well written, well performed and well directed. However, when the clincher of the scene is Tanaka losing his head with an ensuing geyser of fake blood and his head rolling around on the table, I had that disgusted head-shaking expression on my face the entire time.

Well, okay, except when she woke up the coma. That was a powerful and well-perfomed/written/directed scene as well. But then there’s the whole rape thing with the orderly, and the disgust set in again.

Ah, well. All in all, a good night.

Well at least you saw it now.

There, now you can call it shit all you want, at least you checked it out :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah man Megadeth rules!!

But I didn’t need to check it out to know that it was shit. That’s what I told you guys before I watched it.

Part of me thinks that you think that it is shit just so that your opinion is right. Also, your calling it shit was bullshit before you saw it since you had just heard from professors, who opinions are obviously much better than everyone elses. You ahd to see it so that you had a reason to call it shit. It eb like me saying that Japan is shit, despite never being there, because of friend of mine had a bad experience there. Now if I had been there, all right, then I have something other than word of mouth backing my feelings about something.

>From what I understand, the theme of Kill Bill is death and gore and violence for the purpose of revenge

Yes, it is a story of revenge. So is Hamlet. However, both deal with ideas and themes and are touching at different aspects beyond the most basic conception of their plot. So much so that perhaps the ultimate theme of each is not what it looks like at first glance. Now, I’m not trying to compare Kill Bill to Hamlet of course. But I won’t compare it to The Punisher or Rambo either, which is what I think you may be trying to do. As well, now that the last half/third of the film is out, you should also see that before judging the entire enterprise.

Here, how about this. Why don’t you list the contentions and problems you have with the film? Or even things you don’t understand. I’ve seen the first volume of Kill Bill four times, and I’ve seen the second volume twice. I also own both soundtracks, have read a variety of reviews and interviews, hell my desktop background is a great shot of The Bride surrounded by the Crazy 88s. So I and whoever else wants may be able to help answer or explain questions or problems you have with it. As of right now all I know is a vague notion of yours that the violence is too excessive, but I’m not sure what else you don’t like about it. Hopefully it’s not that the fighting styles aren’t consistent enough, because that’d be rather silly <strike>Sinistral!</strike> :stuck_out_tongue:

…or judging another movie you never saw and know nothing about :thud:

If Kill Bill was so offensive to the Japanese, why did it do well at the Box Office in Japan? I’ll answer that for you and your “instructors” - it wasn’t offensive, it was a tribute to the Kung Fu / Martial Arts movies of the past.

I love it when people chime in on a topic, only to advertise themselves, knowing nothing about the topic at hand…and then fall flat on their face. It’s funny.