Justice League: Unlimited

OK, here’s my review of the final episode of the Government Conspiracy plotline. WARNING, THIS IS FULL OF SPOILERS!!

[SPOILER]*First of all: BRAINIAC!?! OK, THAT came out of nowhere. Sure, the episode explains his presence, and it makes sense, but they could’ve given us more clues first, don’t you think?

Not to say I didn’t like Brainy’s presence, in fact he made the episode all the more fun, and gave it more action than it would probably have had otherwise. Nice of them to use the Black Heart, too.

*The Justice Lords weren’t really here, they were Brainiac’s constructs. But still, cool to see them, and cool how they tried to use psychological warfare on the League, and even cooler that the heroes didn’t fall for it.

*The story was a little TOO perfect, the way only Flash was left to fight “Brainthor”, or how he FINALLY accessed the Speed Force to defeat him, or how it almost absorbed him, or how all the other Leaguers had to join forces to save Flash. Can you be any more obvious in your way to making everybody appreciate Flash again? And how exactly can physical pulling save you from being absorbed by a cosmic force??

*The final speech, with the “Big Seven” quitting and the other Leaguers (Green Arrow, really) convincing them to stay, was also predictable, but still moving. (Though I think they were being too harsh on themselves- really, most of what happened was due to other people’s distrust of them.)

Still, in general, a GREAT episode, full of action, great characterization (especially that moment with Luthor at Superman’s mercy!) and tying up a LOT of loose ends. In my opinion they should’ve extended the story for another episode, because there were a lot of things going on, but maybe they just ran out of episodes.

[/SPOILER]

I think they managed to wrap up every storyline started in justice league unlimited, justice league, and a few other shows all at the same time. Including storylines that were already wrapped up.

OK, having seen the final episode of this season, I feel I must comment on it:

Decades in the future, a (now adult) Terry McGinnis (BATMAN BEYOND) discovers a shocking secret about his real identity- one that the elderly Bruce Wayne kept from him. At first he’s VERY angry, but then he goes to Amanda Waller (of the Cadmus project) who tells him the true story… one that involves Batman proving that, for all his grimness, he IS a human being… a DAMN good one.

One of the things I always liked about BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES was precisely that, despite being just as kickass as in the comics, Batman was allowed to show his human side more often. And one thing I hated about Batman: Beyond, was that they turned Wayne into a solitary, surly, unapollogetic old fart. It was sad to see he never found love, and that he drove everyone who cared about him away, and that he was so obsessed with “the mission” that he didn’t care (seemingly.) I had hoped that at least THIS version of Bats would have a better future.

The retcon to Terry’s origin seems forced and unnecessary, and Waller going from hero-hater to Batman fanatic seemed absurd, as were her plans, but DAMMIT if that moment between Batman and Ace wasn’t one of the most poignant I’ve ever seen. And I guess this IS a good way to wrap up the Batman Beyond series -AND Batman’s life.

I know, the ep didn’t have much to do with the League, but I’m not complaining. :slight_smile:

BTW, that final scene with Terry flying over Gotham is a DIRECT reference to the very FIRST B:TAS episode. Full circle, eh?

Congratulations to the writer, the voice-actors, and everyone else involved.

HIGHLY recommended.