Japanese series

I’m not talking about animes - or it would go in the right forum -, but rather those series with real actors in crazy costumes, fighting the weirdest monsters and that ended up serving as the base for Power Rangers (which destroyed all good that existed in this kind of show).

There is an specific name for this kind of show, but I forgot… Anyway, I used to watch Jiraya, Jaspion, Jaspion 2, Jiban, Flashmen, Changemen (the mother of all the others), Fivemen, MAskmen, Black Kamen Rider, Kamen Raider Black RX (a sequel to the previous), Cybercops, Wingspector, Lion-man, Metalder, Spieldan, (the list goes on and on…) I can’t decide between Jiraya or the Kamen Raider series as to electing my fave.

Just wanted to know if I’ll find others who liked those series too.

Honestly, I find them laughable.

You watch too much television.

Does Godzilla count?

Anyone remember VR Troopers? Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (SSSS)? Masked Rider? Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog? Big Bad Beetleborgs?

And just so you know, they are STILL making Power Rangers.

They are invariably ridiculous.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
They are invariably ridiculous.

All Power Ranger-type shows are only to be laughed at by students and stared at in wonder by little five-year-olds. That is all.

I remember VR Troopers. And I thought they were on like Neo Power Rangers R S Gold Extra In Space! by now or something.

Originally posted by Yar Kramer
Does Godzilla count?

Godzilla is awesome man, but he hasn’t really had his own series… and that’s good.
Well, there was a Godzilla cartoon, but that was the American Godzilla.

The Japanese are crazy, shows like that is definite proof.

…alongside gameshows where they clamp eltrodes to their nipple. Japanese game shows freak me out, and not in a good way.

Ehhhhhhhhh never watched them, outside oif Power Rangers… and that should have died a long time ago.

See what I meant about Power Rangers? They’re the sellouts who defamed the ones that came before them. Those series were good when they were aired ages ago, but then came Power Rangers and everyone who’s watched only PR thinks all others suck the same.

And hey, Godzilla did have his own series. But it was waaaay back…

Originally posted by Dalton Of Zeal
Anyone remember VR Troopers? Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (SSSS)? Masked Rider? Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog? Big Bad Beetleborgs?

Yes, yes, no, yes, and yes.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and…wel, yes :x

O_O;; Man I DO remember those. Shit when I was younger I even LIKED some, 'specially them Beetleborgs. Goddamn I even have one of them sonic blaster thingy’s where you can program your attacks. Man how long ago was that 4,5 years?

Originally posted by Ren

And hey, Godzilla did have his own series. But it was waaaay back…

Well yeah, he did, but I heard it was horrible.

power rangers where around when my sensei was a child and living in japan. and this was before i was born.

The term you are looking for is “sentai”. Godzilla and anything similar (Gamera, e.g.) is “Kaiju”.

no. i was right. because sensei means teacher. who i was talking abut.

Kyuji, I think he meant “sentai” was the name for the type of show.

As for:

Yes (unfortunately), no, no, yes, vaguely.