IT'S INSTALLED ALREADY YOU LITTLE BLIND DICK! (WinXP issue)

This isn’t much of a problem, but it’s a recurrent annoyance.

Some… six? months ago I bought a new shiny ATI HD 5700 video card and installed it. All good, really happy with it. However, even AFTER properly installing the driver, the Windows Device Installer popped up on startup informing me I had some new hardware and should search for a driver. I repeat, this is AFTER the driver was already in place and very clearly working.

Every time I rebooted, it would pop up and ask me to install the driver. I would just click cancel every time and just imagine that once I upgraded drivers the error would go away.

Well, I upgraded drivers today. Uninstalled everything properly and then installed the new driver. It’s working wonderfully, but that fucker is STILL bugging me about how there’s new software and I should install a new driver.

If this is some ATI-specific thing, it would probably take me more work that I’m actually willing to do to sort it out, but if anybody has experience with stuff like this and it turns out to be some easy fix, that’d be awesome.

I know it’s been over a month since you posted this… but are you still having the problem? If so which operating system are you using?

For Windows XP and Vista, you can try disable the the “baloon tips” using the method on the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

lol buy a mac lol