Is the main character in a final fantasy game having a sword overused?

Are you trying to tell me a guy with a sword at the battle of D-Day isn’t braver than a guy with a gun? I’m not saying soldiers are not brave, far from it. I’m just saying the less likely you are to survive and you go into combat anyway, the braver you are.

LOL, yeah, lets charge that machine gun twirling a sword ! That’ll teach those goose steppin Germans !!

Edit: I must add this, there is a line between bravery and stupidity.

There is seldom difference between bravery and stupidity.

That is a stupid way to compare bravery. Also, if you are so brave. I dare you to go to combat, leave your rifle and take a nice broad sword instead. You also didn’t addres my comments about Black Hawk Down and D-Day or even the current world. Also BL, excellent poitn about the difference between bravery and stupidity.

Also, how about Iwo Jima? Thsoe guys were tough motherfuckers. They charged up that mountain which I’ve heard is already a nice and tough hike while facing heavy gun fire and managed to over come it.

EDIT: Also, have you ever tried to relaod a weapon in the middle of a battle, that is tough adn you are a bit vulnerable during that time.

Tubamute, Infonick is very right when it comes to firearms. I have a hard time hitting a man-sized target at 200 yards off-hand with a rifle, and i was raised around guns. Tubamute, and Marines HAVE to qualify EXPERT with their rifles. That means they have to shoot perfect at 500 yards. Now, i am not sure if that is prone, squatting, or off hand, but i can assure you, it’s hard as hell.

Infonick: Some of the roughest battles were fought in WW2 and Korea. This war in Iraq is tough, like what happened in Somolia, it’s door to door fighting, building to building, and the enemy can pop out of the wood work. Hell, why am i telling you, you allready know ! Looking at some of those pictures at what that town did to those contractors, i see women and children involved in that. They are pretty brave when it comes to mutilating unarmed contractors and Japanese who arent there for combat, but humanitarian aid… arent they ?

For the last time, I’m not saying Marines or any of the military are cowards. They are 50 million times braver than I am, okay. I’m saying people want the characters in their games to be in as much danger as possible. Who would play a game where the enemies are pink fuzzy bunnies?

Yeah, we qualify at the 500yd line (hence my easy at the 200yd) rain or shine, even if there is strong wind (such as when I did prequal it was POORING, we just shot in huge puddles with heavy rain pooring all over us and freezing our asses off. We do it in the prone with the loop sling. The rest we do with the hasty sling. One of the toughest parts is the kneeling from 300yd. The kneeling isn’t very steady and 300yds is a nice distance. When wequalify, we use the dog target hit or miss. The dog target is basically from 3 inches below your shoulder and up. Which is pretty small.

o_O You have serious issues with this idea of Romanticism in battles. Bravery doesn’t depend on what damn weapon you’re carrying. Personally, I wouldn’t give a damn about how ‘brave’ I’d be considered. If it came down to choosing a sword over shitload of rocket launchers, shotguns and uzis, I think you can guess which I’d pick :stuck_out_tongue:

Also . . . it’s just a ~tad~ immature in an intelligent discussion to just denounce everything you don’t like as ‘gay’ and ‘wussy’, don’t you think? Swords aren’t an automatic certificate of bravery.

Tuba, you are thinking of modern war as a personal battle, when many soldiers say that when it comes down tot he fighting, it’s all indifference. They arent fighting because they are brave. They are fighting because they want to survive. They just want to go home, but not in a body bag.

Exactly what I mean. Tuba, you’ve an incredibly idealised concept of combat.

Info, training for the heart an head shots, ehh ? My biggest regret in life is not getting my education and enlisting sooner. I wont be marine though. Probably MP or something. going Airborn appeals to me also, but you have to be 11 bravo for that. I dont want to be 11 bravo either:-p

Edit: I need to slow down, i keep thinking of things i want to add AFTER i allready post

I might have a hard time getting a combat station though, being the last member of my family able to pass on the name and all.

I never said they were, I’m just saying the weapon used puts the character in different levels of danger. I’m talking about fiction here people, not real life. And if I had to play a game where the character was in the least amount of danger, I’d be pissed and it would be gay, and I say it again, it’s gay. Gay, gay, gay! You don’t like my choice of vocabulary, tough luck, deal with it.

You’ve never seen Monty Pythons Holy Grail have you?

That bunny wasn’t pink.

Tuba, be careful using that word. A LOT of people, especially the upper mods and founders are VERY sensitive about references to homosexuality in a derogatory fashion, or using it in an insulting way… remembers the old “peer is queer” incident

Fine, I won’t use “gay”, but “pussy” and “wussy” are still available.

Slight detail ;p LunarCry is just pointing out that your overuse of the word gay makes you look well immature and GAY! Youre comparing things to a sexual preference, it seems kinda silly really because theres not much to compare. I’m not saying you should change your choice of vocabulary but if you’d like to sound a little more intelligent get a thesaurus.

Actually, there is quite a big difference. Bravery is doign what you have to do desptie how hard it may be. Such as going into battle despite hwo scary it may be, but you know ti has to be done. Or beign morally brave and standing up for what you believe is right. TM, you have a romanticised vision of battle and it doesn’t seem liek you understand what battle realyl is or why people do what they do in battle. Hell, one of the guys in my unit I consider very brave for what he did in Iraq. At one point some people in his group, including hismelf, got injured and he provided security and even put off getting medical attention to continue providing security until everyone else was treated. He was injrued and still continued to fight to save others. That si pretty brave if you ask me. Also, watch We Were Soldeirs, that shows how hard battle is even with a gun in an open field. Most of all, take a break from playing games, watch the news and, read some history and get the romanticised visionof battle out of your head.

Also BL, you are very correct on how ti is just coming back alive. One of the things we say that we aren’t going to die for our country, we’re gonna make the enemy die for his.

Once again, I am talking about games! I’m not naive, I’ve seen these movies, I know how soldiers suffer and despite it all, are still willing to protect other lives. That is the whole basis of games. I know war is hell, but games are based more on the romantic ideals of bravery. People play games to express suppressed emotions, same as going to movies and watching tv. Games allow people to convince themselves there is some bravery really in them, even if there really isn’t. They are given the chance to save the world, without actually risking their neck. I’m not comparing the truly cowardly players with the real life heroes, despite the fact that all of you seem to think otherwise. These cowardly players just want to be the greatest most courageous people, because in reality they aren’t. I’m sorry to anyone I’ve offended. And about my word choice, the word gay, although meant to describe a sexual preference (not even really that, was originally meant to mean happy), has after much contradictary use come to mean something completely different- more of an unexplained insult. I use this word because of it’s popularity in our society, nothing more.

General Patton said that… Good military leader, knew how to fight and win a war, but he did appear to be a bit of a dickhead. I really cant say that though, since he died before i was born. At least i think he did. scratches his head like a monkey

EDIT: I think this whole conversation has gotten a bit outta hand… we should all just take a while off, relax, drink a few shots a jeaggermeister, then come back and have an orgy.

Geez, try and convince people that the sword is the cliched romantic weapon and they bite your head off.

You were the one who brought in real life in the first place TM. Also, you say that you are talking about video games, but you sure went alognw ith us talking about real life for awhile. Next you should clear up what you are saying, especially if people are deabting something for awhile with you.