Internet question

I’ve been navigating the net for years now and I never dared asking this before, but…

…What’s with the password confirming thing? It seems to me just a test to see if you can type the same thing twice. Does it actually help keeping passes safe anyway?

Probably to keep programs that autoregister accounts from being able to use a randomly generated password.

Of course, they could just do that “type the number you see in the box below” thing.

Edit: Or it’s in case you made a typo in your password. Probably that :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s incase you typo your password in the field.

No, I don’t think it’s hard to create a program that generates a password and then uses it twice.

Originally posted by Ren
No, I don’t think it’s hard to create a program that generates a password and then uses it twice.
Exactamundo. All it has to do is store the randomly generated password into a variable than use it for both.

Yeah, yeah, I realized it after I posted, but I made the edit after you saw :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason for the extra field is what Xelopheris said: It’s to protect you from the horrible Typosians; you know, the small creatures that just waits for a chance to run up and bite and shag your leg.

The email confirmation is there simply to check that there is, in fact, a user, and that the email you filled in is yours.

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]The reason for the extra field is what Xelopheris said: It’s to protect you from the horrible Typosians; you know, the small creatures that just waits for a chance to run up and bite and shag your leg.

The email confirmation is there simply to check that there is, in fact, a user, and that the email you filled in is yours. [/b]
It used to be used to prevent Automated Signups. Now those <table bgcolor=“yellow”><TR><TD><strike><font color=“black”>|T|h|i|n|g|s| |L|i|k|e| |T|h|i|s|</font></strike></TD></TR></TABLE> are used

Originally posted by Xelopheris
It used to be used to prevent Automated Signups. Now those <table bgcolor=“yellow”><TR><TD><strike><font color=“black”>|T|h|i|n|g|s| |L|i|k|e| |T|h|i|s|</font></strike></TD></TR></TABLE> are used

Yeah, I’ve been running into those more often lately.

I bet you that’s there to make you misread it so you sign up to something you don’t want, Yahoo has those everywhere.