Interesting idea about computer security.

The dangers of a monoculture.

It does have a good mount of validity. Just look at some of the recent virus spreads we’ve had, like Red Worm, that wreaaked havoc on many computer systems. It also makes sense in that virus are mostly targeted at Windows and they exploit certain aspects of the system that allow it to affect many other systems. By having another strong computer system it could, and probably would at least curve the damage. I look at the danger of sensitive data being affected, like the Homeland Security Department’s systems getting messed up or corrputed would be pretty bad. Especially if the source of the trouble wasn’t able to find the problem, or at least prevent it from infecting other parts of the system. However, I wouldn’t say that this is too big of a problem for the average computer user.

EDIT: Should work now, fuckin’ glitchy browser.

(Pst… the link isn’t working <<; )

Hmm… I had always been aware of the threat in the back of my mind, but I never expressed it in words like that guy did. Pretty cool.

I love the biological analogy. That’s one of the few things I remember from my bio class in HS… that it’d be dangerous to have a “clone” population of people with identical or very similar DNA, because a plague could wipe everyone out.

How much obviousliness does it need for people to notice it? This danger has been known for nearly two decades now - it’s nothing new.

Originally posted by Kero Hazel

I love the biological analogy. That’s one of the few things I remember from my bio class in HS… that it’d be dangerous to have a “clone” population of people with identical or very similar DNA, because a plague could wipe everyone out.

Thats a really good reference.

Heck, cloning, since it is so equal, is probley a better one than the one the guy was stating.

And yes, M$ does need to diversify some more, Xp was a step ( haha they created more problems than the old Win95/98s) and their Project Longhorn is suppost to completly rewrite the books, but they still need more.

Isn’t all that pretty much common sense?
Just sad capitalism doesn’t care about common sense.