Interesting comment (Iraq war)

A french editorial said "By having succumbed to the temptation of empire, the Americans discovered what the French and the British have never forgotten,’’ Le Figaro newspaper said Friday in an editorial. ``Colonies are expensive.’’

Bush is certainly going to get smacked hard in a lot of ways when it comes election time, esp considering how the democrats spent most of their time blasting him on their first debate in New Mexico.

How true, how true.

Americans have generally been averse to empire throughout their history. The reason isn’t temptation, but the fact that a bunch of ideologically extremist neoconservatives, who don’t care about the costs of empire since they are assured that they will never, ever have to put their own lives at risk, lied to them by claiming that it was to protect their interests, and tried to frighten them by depicting fraudulent scenarios of what “might” happen if they refused.

I guess you could say that’s all this is- colonialism. Bush may say he’s gonna pull out eventually, but he won’t let go of all that oil.

i love how the left wing media televised the debate live.

The only reason people think networks are left-wing are the people influenced by the right-wing radio shows.

And all this could have been avoided if they paid a little attention in history class, then again, I guess Americans don’t learn anything about what has been called the ‘Great Mistake’.

Isn’t neo-imperialism fun to watch though? I’m pretty sure it’ll end up in ‘The World’s Dumbest Historical Events’ soon enough.

Originally posted by Nulani
And all this could have been avoided if they paid a little attention in history class, then again, I guess Americans don’t learn anything about what has been called the ‘Great Mistake’.

Actually, our history books are laughingly innacurate.

Since WWII, the US had a treaty written up that they wouldn’t stick their noses in others business. But they still do. By believing that other countries are wrong, the US supports that “We are Better and we have the right to do whatever we want”