I'm surprised nobody posted this yet...

http://www.courttv.com/trials/durst/verdict_ctv.html

If you ever become a prosecutor, and you have a case like this- remember not to rule out manslaughter!

He dismembered somebody, confessed to it, and they acquitted him. The joys of the legal system… I’m so glad I’m planning to join it. o_o;

That’s beautiful.

Yeah, pretty fucked up, but it was (sorta) self defense. Could have been self defense, could have NOT been it. I’m not sure either way. But all they have to go on is his testimony of it being self defense.

Rather odd. Maybe the jury thought he should have been convicted of manslaughter. Then again, who knows.

Of course they didn’t get him on manslaughter. He killed the guy on accident, without even the intent of harming him. It’s unprobable, but not imposible.

You can’t argue against him beyond a reasonable doubt.

Originally posted by Skankin’ Garbage
Of course they didn’t get him on manslaughter. He killed the guy on accident, without even the intent of harming him. It’s unprobable, but not imposible.

Manslaughter

Noun

The unlawful killing of one human by another without express or implied intent to do injury.

who the hell is he?

Then, in an altered state fueled by alcohol, he said, he dismembered Black’s body, dumped it in Galveston Bay, and cleaned up the scene.

I can understand an accidental shooting. It is quite possible it was self-defense, but i sure dont buy that crap about chopping him up because he was drunk…

Originally posted by Sinistral
You can’t argue against him beyond a reasonable doubt.

You took the words right out of my mouth Sin. Reasonable doubt is what makes our wonderful legal system run :hahaha; .

They should just have suspected him to be a terrorist, that way they could just have arrested him and skipped all that silly court stuff. Isn’t the Patriot Act a lovely little piece of legislation?

The outcome of this can be both good and bad: It can reinforce the idea that it must be proven beyond all doubt that you have committed a crime, and it can reduce the trust people judicial branch. Not that, that trust is very large from before.

His defense lawyers decided to defend him on the basis of murder or self-defense, effectively ruling out manslaughter. It was very risky, but I guess it worked.